Search Unity

Game server and multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by henriquelsm, Mar 18, 2019.

1. henriquelsm

henriquelsm

Hi, I am currently a backend developer on the Java platform.

Currently I'm starting a game project that resembles Clash Royale in my spare time, I already have some battle mechanics implemented but no multiplayer part implemented.

So I started to study about multiplayer, in some articles I read that commonly a multiplayer game is done in three parts client, session server and a "persistence" server where the player's data is stored, such as punctuation and inventory.

On the third part I want to know if there is any solution commonly adopted by the community or is a criterion of each, as I am a web developer would do that part in java

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. MrsPiggy

MrsPiggy

I am a Java developer too and have been using SmartFoxServer for the past 1 year or so. It's a very rich multiplayer SDK with tons of features among which the ability to implement all your game logic on the server side (in either Java or Javascript).
    This was particularly important for my project. As an additional icing on the cake the server is very light on resources, which allows me to run hundreds of clients on a tiny EC2 instance, which is very affordable.

As regards persistence you've got all the options that Java offers such as local filesystem, or you can plug in your favorite database. Plus Smartfox already provides easy integration for databases out of the box.

www.smartfoxserver.com if you want to learn more.