Search Unity

Game Lancher for Unity Games (patcher/account management)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by JeffRBake, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

So I have been looking into making a launcher for my game. Think of something akin to the League of Legends client, minus the bugs.

My question though - is it best to stick with a solution made in unity for this task, or is it pretty straightforward to do this in another language? I don't need to generate any 3d scenes, and the only thing it does it update the game files, and let the user change character settings. All stuff done with a simple API.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Some platforms I had been thinking of is Electron, Java or C++

3. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I use a separate unity project as a launcher that can patch itself, and does the patching for the main game-client, which it then runs. It means that the patcher can be a small window with news, info, links, login if necessary, and the patching progress bar. Keeps things looking good.

4. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Would you say I need to stick with unity to make the launcher, is there some technical aspect I am not aware of? Or can I branch off and use any code base for the launcher?

5. digiross

digiross

You can:

1) Update from within the Unity game
    2) Create a separate Unity program that is a launcher as @LukeDawn said
    3) Buy an asset on the Unity Store such as Coffee Auto Patcher System
    3) Use something akin to Microsoft Visual Studio and write a separate program

LukeDawn likes this.
  6. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Nice, thanks for pointing me to the coffee auto patcher.
    I have been looking into other programs, but I am having trouble googling the right thing... Looking for binary patchers elsewhere.