Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Lancher for Unity Games (patcher/account management)

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by JeffRBake, Sep 12, 2018.

1. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

So I have been looking into making a launcher for my game. Think of something akin to the League of Legends client, minus the bugs.

My question though - is it best to stick with a solution made in unity for this task, or is it pretty straightforward to do this in another language? I don't need to generate any 3d scenes, and the only thing it does it update the game files, and let the user change character settings. All stuff done with a simple API.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Some platforms I had been thinking of is Electron, Java or C++

3. LukeDawn

LukeDawn

I use a separate unity project as a launcher that can patch itself, and does the patching for the main game-client, which it then runs. It means that the patcher can be a small window with news, info, links, login if necessary, and the patching progress bar. Keeps things looking good.

4. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Would you say I need to stick with unity to make the launcher, is there some technical aspect I am not aware of? Or can I branch off and use any code base for the launcher?

5. digiross

digiross

You can:

1) Update from within the Unity game
    2) Create a separate Unity program that is a launcher as @LukeDawn said
    3) Buy an asset on the Unity Store such as Coffee Auto Patcher System
    3) Use something akin to Microsoft Visual Studio and write a separate program

LukeDawn likes this.
  6. JeffRBake

JeffRBake

Nice, thanks for pointing me to the coffee auto patcher.
    I have been looking into other programs, but I am having trouble googling the right thing... Looking for binary patchers elsewhere.