Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Fully destructible cars

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by joresnik, Oct 26, 2017.

1. joresnik

joresnik

I need a fully destructible car, and I'm not sure any assets suit my needs. Specifically, I need something where the fenders, quarter panels, etc. can be separated from the car. All the assets I've seen have one big 'body' component that includes the fenders and quarter panels. Does anything like this exist, and if not, how difficult would it be for a non-artist to modify something in Blender?

2. LMan

LMan

Have you seen these?

You also might want to look into mesh deformation assets. So that you can dent things up to your heart's content.

3. joresnik

joresnik

I don't just need them dent-able, I need each piece separate and removable. For the ones in your link, I believe the body is still one piece.

4. verybinary

verybinary

you can build your car out of different objects and if something gets hit, delete it or apply physics to that part to send it flying? Check for collision at different points of the car, and if a hit is detected, destroy that part.

A car can look like one piece, until pieces start falling off

5. snacktime

snacktime

Almost any game with vehicles, you will need to have custom models. But trust me right now forget the models, work out the physics and movement and make your vehicle out of cubes. If you haven't made a vehicle game before there is a whole bunch of stuff you will discover that will hugely effect the end models you will need.

I have a very complex multiplayer game with moving vehicles and passengers, and I have almost all of the core functionality in and working, and I'm still using prototype assets for vehicles (mostly cubes). That's how long you want to put off models when working with vehicles.

Habitablaba and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  6. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I second snacktimes advice, but to answer your question about how difficult it would be to learn how to modify a model in blender, I'd say pretty low difficulty for the average person.

I don't use Blender, but from what I understand it is more user friendly than Maya, which is what I am learning. If you follow a few basic tutorials, say 30 hours of dedicated learning, I'm sure you could build the assets you need no problem.