Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

FPS Constructor - Makes creating an FPS easy!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jason_DB, Dec 30, 2011.

1. cloudfun

cloudfun

hi again jason
    if you mean , that i configure my project to an IOS, on the unity buid and run properties, the answer is yes
    this is not my first unity3d ios project, i got all the certificates, etc you khow what i mean, and made the buidl , generate the xcode and run on my local ipad
    but only the gyroscopes works

if theres someting inside your project example to set that is a mobile , then i only change the
    mobile property of lockcurso to true
    nothing more

theres something more to do on the example to indicate that is a mobile proyect?
    thanks al ot for your support im lost

2. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@cloudfun The mobile variable in lockcursor, which is set automatically in compilation, is the only identifier of a mobile project (aside from using the mobile scene). I just wanted to make sure you weren't running the remote in a different build configuration. Does it run in the editor with Unity remote and just stop working in the build?

3. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

just real quick about the sound, does it play in the animation editor or just when running the game?

4. cloudfun

cloudfun

im reinstalling all my mac and unity , i think is a problem of my installation
    thanks jason ill told you if finally works or not

5. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@slimjim2417 I think it only plays in game mode.

@cloudfun If that doesn't work you can send me a link to download the project (info@dastardlybanana.com) and I can take a look at it.

6. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

7. Linus

Linus

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    GunScript+$SelectWeapon$260+$.MoveNext () (at Assets/Plugins/FPS Constructor V1/ScriptsDB/WeaponScripts/GunScript.js:1034)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:BroadcastMessage(String)
    PlayerWeapons:ActivateWeapon() (at Assets/Plugins/FPS Constructor V1/ScriptsDB/WeaponScripts/PlayerWeapons.js:142)
    PlayerWeapons:Start() (at Assets/Plugins/FPS Constructor V1/ScriptsDB/WeaponScripts/PlayerWeapons.js:49)

I get this every time I load my custom new scene. I use the player and weapon prefab from the demo. It is fixed by reassigning the weapon to GunMotion and to the weaponsCamera.

Also, I do not have the Standard Assets that you posted a screenshot of a few pages back. Dont know if file structure has changed. i downloaded a few hours ago.

8. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@slimjim2417 Awesome! Be sure to post again if you add any more videos.

@Linus Huh, for some reason it's tripping up on getting renderers from the weapon. When you say fixed, does that mean everything works? The weapon is supposed to be childed to GunMotion and dragged into the weapons array on the WeaponCamera, so if that's what you're doing to fix it everything sounds right.

Also the structure was changed in the last update to make the package more C#-friendly.

9. Linus

Linus

Yes, when I re-assign the weapons the scene runs as normal. Until I reload the scene, then I need to re-assign again.

I am just getting started, so it may very well be something I am doing wrong. Maybe I should download fraps and make a short video

Love your product btw, nice work

EDIT: So started recording, and on the first 4 attempts of making the video the bug did occur, I changed scene from my scene to demo scene and then back. Then on the last video shooting I did not get the error or any problems at all. Must be my lucky day

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  10. sparkyman

sparkyman

Hey Slimjim2417

Where did you get those weapons from dude, I cant see them on my install.

Sparky

11. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@sparkyman by default the package only comes with the couple simple weapons, the idea being that you can replace them with your own as SlimJim did.

12. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Linus that's really strange. If it happens again, let me know if the weapons are disappearing from the array, or they stay there but need to be replaced.

13. Linus

Linus

The weapon stays in the array, and when I run the scene the, weapon shows up but cant shoot etc

Did some more testing.
    If I add another copy of the weapon (m1911) to Gun Motion, I do not need to update the weapon array at all. But will then have two M1911 under gun motion.

Also, saving scene, closing and re-open unity works fine.

The demo scene works every time loaded, I have never changed and re-saved the demo scene. Thats the main difference I can think of with the scenes.

Using Unity indie 3.5.2f2

Just signed up for your website, I imagine I have several future questions

14. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Linus Try duplicating the demo scene and work it from there. Also, if you want to use a weapon you need to add it to the weapon array. If it isn't in that array then it is not equipped.

15. cloudfun

cloudfun

hi again jason, was difficult but everything is reintalled and works fine
    thanks alot for your help, really
    today imm starting the fps project with everything clean
    thanks again

16. TheBooBear

TheBooBear

Hey Jason,

Trying to figure out how to integrate nGUI with your stuff. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

17. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Drunked Monkey the whole GUI is broken out into small scripts that are meant to be editable. If you want to set up your own GUI, just change the scripts in 'Editable' to replace my GUI calls to use NGUI. If you're also editing the touch controls, then you'll have to change the 'TouchButton' script in 'Input' as well.

@Cloudfun glad to hear! Email info@dastardlybanana.com if you have any more problems.

18. winresh

winresh

@Jason@DastardlyBanana

jayson ,

can you help me to my problem...Im a newbie in android platform....My problem is my capsule character doesn't move but i can rotate properly the camera....I'm using camera relativecontrol so my control is joystick....
    Do i miss something ?

plsss help me ..thanks in advance...sorry for my english :)

19. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Winresh are you using the standard prefab for camera relative controls from Mobile Standard Assets? That will need to modified to tie into the InputDB system to control the player right.

If you want, I've attached a package with a working joystick prefab. All you need to do to control the movement is use the prefab joystick, dragging the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" objects from under the InputManager into its input slots.

Attached Files:

20. NightHawk

NightHawk

Sorry for the late response on the bugs but...

1. Crouch, Aim down the sights, let go of the ADS button then the accuracy should be the same as the ADS accuracy.

2. I found a script that will fix the grenades/projectiles going through objects. This is the link: http://www.unifycommunity.com/wiki/index.php?title=DontGoThroughThings

3. The explosion decals don't work on any of the objects :|

Other then that I did not find any other bugs.

Also are there raise/drop times for weapons? Or is it .3 seconds like in the free version?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  21. winresh

winresh

yes im using standard assets...:)
    dude i import your package but once i import the errors already appear...here it is

!dragUponTemplate->IsDataTemplate ()
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility:projectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

I'm sorry i don't have enough IQ like you to solve it by the way thanks for your reply I really appreciate it...

plsss help to solve my problem

22. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@winresh that looks like an error in Unity itself. Try clearing the editor log and continuing (I've yet to run into one of these editor errors that has any noticeable effect).

23. cloudfun

cloudfun

hi jason
    that mobile joystick is not needed , isnt it?
    im prototyping my game and im i use the gyroscopes, the touch crooshair and one gui texture to fire
    this unitypackage is to simulate a phisic yoystick avoid the gyroscpes?

24. winresh

winresh

@jayson

jayson I clear it like what you said then a new error was appear take a look at this

Assets/Standard Assets (Mobile)/Scripts/Joystick.js(183,47): BCE0018: The name 'JoystickDB' does not denote a valid type ('not found').

I hope you can still help me

Thanks again for your concern...thanks a lot...

25. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Cloudfun it works in the remote? Does it only work in the remote when you lock the cursor (click in the play window)?

@Winresh change the name of Joystick.js to JoystickDB.js.

26. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Nighthawk didn't notice this post!

1. Actually ran into this one myself recently. Fixed in the next update.

2. I'll stick that in. I had been intending to fix that on default projectiles for awhile, just hadn't gotten to it yet. I'm doing some decals work for another project, so I might pull it back into the FPS Constructor after it's done.

3. Explosion decals don't really work, to be honest. The current decal system can't handle a large decal like that which would be left by an explosion.

Yes, there are raise/drop times (which coincide with optional animations) for each weapon.

27. smkt11

smkt11

hi, i need to use the first person controls from the standards assets mobile package as the ui for moving the player in an android phone...
    i have read other questions that asked the same thing in this thread but i dont understand anything...(im very very ignorant in scripting) i would thank you with all of my heart if you could explain me in steps or make a little tutorial or anything that can help me...
    thanks and sorry for my english.

28. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

Hi smkt11

Some of the controls are already made: Screen drag, joysticks, accelerometer control, and touch buttons. There is a sample scene with accelerometer and drag controls already, and if you download the newest version that just went live there is also a scene with joystick controls. If you want another control type and aren't comfortable scripting at all I can probably put it together for you.

If you want to make something else on your own it comes down to this: Movement and camera control are set by 4 'axes' which you can find under the InputManager.

Movement: 'Horizontal' and 'Vertical'
    Camera "MouseX' and "MouseY'

To control them, you must set the InputItem.axis value on each of these using the values from your control script.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  29. Boss

Boss

Nice but do you have any other hand models?

30. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Boss It isn't an art package, so we just include the basic models you see in the scene. The idea is that it's as easy as possible to put in new art, but we don't drive up the price by having a bunch of models not everyone will necessarily use.

31. smkt11

smkt11

@jason you are awesome! thank you for your help...
    i just updated and i have a problem with the right joystick in the mobile demo it doesn't make the x rotation...
    please help!!!

32. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@smkt11 Make sure that the axis variable in MouseLookDBJS on the Player is set to 'x'.

33. smkt11

smkt11

Hi jason! the problem was fixed and im looking deeper into the documentation.I also rated and write a review of the package, is awesome!
    i hope you get into more projects, im buying anything you make!!!

34. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@smkt11 Thank you! Every review (especially ones with text) helps a lot! If you run into any more problems (or have a cool idea that you don't know how to implement), just email info@dastardlybanana.com or post on the support forums!

35. NightHawk

NightHawk

@Jason@DastardlyBanana

Thanks!

I am just wondering...

1. Does this constructor use the new unity particle system?

2. Is the license the same as the free version?

3. Is there a wave/spawner system?

4. (I have a feeling this is already in the package) Do launchers have accuracy?

5. Is the sway system adjustable? Because it's a little bit too much on the demo.

6. Can there be a hold breath feature for a sniper rifle?

7. Can there be a regenerating health system?

7a. Can there be regenerating health at a certain point? Like at <15 HP the health regenerates?

8. Can the HUD sway with the gun?

9. Is it possible for when you zoom in with a scope the vision get's blurred? Just an idea to prevent quick scoping. Anyways it's like that for like 0.5 seconds when you zoom in a scope in real life.

9a. Is it possible for the vision to get blurred when your close to an object while zoomed in with a scope?

10. Is it possible to have bullets bounce off certain objects?

11. Is it possible for a Tactical Reload?

12. Is it possible for throwable health boxes or a heal self device?

13. Can the recoil on weapons be different when in different stances? For example: A LMG. Standing up, high recoil. Crouching, a little less recoil. And proning, little recoil.

14. Can ammo/health boxes be animated when interacted with?

15. Is there a simple way to port the old weapon scripts from the free version to the paid version?

Demo Bugs:

1. The ammo/health boxes do not show any text and does not highlight.

2. When the player jumps the accuracy gets higher.

3. This is a strange bug. I was shooting a weapon then all of a sudden a wood decal appeared on the screen. The player health getting damaged when I was moving it a certain way and shot at the same time...

4. When I aim down the sights on a weapon the sway system changes sometimes.

Also I like the new movement system and new features. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  36. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@NightHawk I'm glad you like it!

1. You can use any particles you want, I think. I haven't tried it with Shuriken but if it doesn't work it would be simple to change.

2. It uses the asset store license. Basically as long as you don't redistribute the assets themselves you're free to do as you please.

3. No. We're going to open-source our old spawner system, though so once that's out you can combine them.

4. Yes.

5. Yes. It can be 0 if you want it to.

6. It would be easy to do so, I think.

7. Yes. The player health script can be modified.

7a. Yes.

8. By the HUD do you mean the camera? The camera can use a sway animation by default (it's just subtle right now), and can be overwritten.

9. I don't know of a good way to blur without using unity Pro, but it's possible.

10.They would have to be a projectile instead of a raycast, but yes.

11. Already supported. You can even play a different animation for it.

12. Yes. You can use any projectile for a 'weapon', even a healing box.

13. Not currently. I should add that, though.

14. They can do literally anything when interacted with. The current ones are just examples of how it could be done.

15. Unfortunately, no. Because this was going to be essentially a new product, we took the opportunity to improve the overall organization (breaking backwards compatibility in the process).

Bugs:

1. Not technically a bug, I just didn't put highlighting on those. I suppose it should have that for the next update, if only for an example of highlighting.

2. That it does. I guess that being airborne should probably count as moving from an accuracy perspective...

3. Whoops. Looks like I left on a collider that shouldn't be there.

4. Sway doesn't apply when aiming. What you're seeing is the weapon's idle motion.

37. slimjim2417

slimjim2417

hey just real quick im working on a shotgun but i want to be able to aim down sights like CoD but when i do the shotgun goes from firing 8 bullets to 1, how do i fix this ads problem

38. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Slimjin2417 It's probably still firing 8 bullets, the problem is that your aim spread is too low (making all 8 bullets hit the same place). You can change it under the accuracy tab on the gun script.

39. winresh

winresh

@jayson dude sorry for the late response I can't still solve my prroblem

there is a new error when i rename the joystick and here it is

The name 'InputItem' does not denote a valid type ('not found').

what should i do I really need to solve this bug the pass my subject plssss dude help me...

thanks a lot for your response i hope your still there to help me thanks dude....

40. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Winresh Make sure that the joystick script is in the 'Plugins' folder.

41. winresh

winresh

I can't see the plugins folder

42. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@winresh it should be the folder that has all the FPS Constructor stuff in it.

43. winresh

winresh

dude sorry asking silly question I just want to clarify what do you mean on your answer..
    """""
    All you need to do to control the movement is use the prefab joystick, dragging the "Horizontal" and "Vertical" objects from under the InputManager into its input slots.
    """"""
    cause im still not doing this act sorry dude for being naive.....i hope you will still answer my problem......thank you very much....:):):)

44. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@winresh if you select the joystick object (in the scene, after dragging it in), you will see variables for 'inputx' and 'inputy' in the inspector. Drag the 'Horizontal' and 'Vertical' objects into them.

45. winresh

winresh

Does "horizontal" and "vertical" object belong to your prefab that you give to me? look at the print screen can't also find inputx and inputY
    thanks still hoping to your response:)

Attached Files:

46. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@winresh no, they are under the 'InputManager' object in the scene.

47. NightHawk

NightHawk

I have a few questions.

1. Can full-auto, burst, and semi-auto be changed at the players will? Like the player can press a button to toggle between the three?

2. Can the weapon pick-ups work with compound colliders?

3. Is it easy to update from versions of this FPS constructer? e.x. 1.1.1 to 1.1.2

4. Can there be dynamic muzzle flashes? e.x. Muzzle flashes change every time you fire?

Also it appears that the "Fixed bug where accuracy would be too high after player stops aiming while crouched" is not fixed. The bug only works with weapons that have ADS from what I tested.

48. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

@Nighthawk

1. It could be. There isn't a default button but there's nothing stopping it.

2.I imagine that it could.

3. We test every update, so there's always a description of what you need to do in the documentation. It's generally noting big.

4. It already does? The default muzzle flash is a particle effect with randomized rotation, and there's technically no limit on what you can do with a muzzle flash.

The bug is related to aiming, so it would only show up with weapons that aim. There are actually two bugs, one of which was fixed in the last version. The other one will be fixed in the next.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  49. winresh

winresh

can i ask you one favor? can you give me an empty scene were both joystick is moving properly.....plsssssss.....
    im begging you plsssss help me.........plssss........im still hoping to you plsssssssss thanks for all your response......god bless you....:):):)

50. cloudfun

cloudfun

Jason, is possible to cofigure the mobilesample scene, whituot yosticks, but when the player moves to left or right not just move, move but turns like if the player eyes looks right and looks left, i men combine the mobile yoystick with accelerometer but without the yoystick?

thanks in advance