Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Foldout for certain properties without a custom editor?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PaperMouseGames, Jun 4, 2019.

1. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames

Hi there, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I'm wondering if it's at all possible to have certain properties from a script (for example 10 [SerializeField] items) be under a foldout that can be collapsed without having to create a custom editor.

I don't have much experience with custom editors but from what I remember, if you use that on a script then you have to make the entire script's inspector properties from scratch, and I didn't want to necessarily do that, I just wanna section off a particular section.

Maybe it's not possible, but any help on what my options are to do what I'm trying would be appreciated, thanks!

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

It is possible, but in the end you'd need a custom editor to override all MonoBehaviour / ScriptableObjects editors to detect those attached attributes.

There's plenty of implementations on the net.
    Here's a first one available in google:
    https://github.com/dimmpixeye/InspectorFoldoutGroup

3. PaperMouseGames

PaperMouseGames

Thanks so much for the reply, so it sounds like my choices are to either use a custom editor, or download a sort of addon that uses a custom editor (or custom functionality?).

That's fine, I guess I'll have to go and learn more about that stuff, I just wanted to know if there was a really quick and easy way to do this before I started spending hours learning and making custom editors.

Thanks again!

4. giuliano-marinelli

giuliano-marinelli