Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Flip bug with inverse kinematics (Limb Solver 2D)

Discussion in '2D' started by Crokett, Nov 24, 2023.

1. Crokett

Crokett

Hello! I'm setting up an arm with inverse kinematics in my Unity 2D project but I'm running into a problem that I think is due to a bug in the LimbSolver2D component.

The problem I am encountering is that the X axis rotation of the first bone changes from 0 to -180 when my target is positioned in certain specific positions causing a flip glith of the arm.

Some of the target positions in which this flip occurs:

Vector3(-0.832000017,8.32999992,0)
    Vector3(-0.587000012,5.82000017,0)
    Vector3(-0.615999997,6.08500004,0)

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  2. MarekUnity

MarekUnity

Unity Technologies

Which version of the animation package are you using (you can check that in the package manager)?

Would you be able to share your setup so I can investigate better what's happening? A prefab would be enough!

Crokett likes this.
  3. Crokett

Crokett

Hi!
    I am using version 9.0.4 of the 2D Animation package.

I think I have already found the problem, in the DoUpdateIK function of limbSolver it uses Quaternion.FromToRotation(), this function sometimes returns a value of 180º for the euleraxis X, which causes my gameobject to flip.

I have created a function that calculates the rotation for the vector direction but only for the Z axis and it seems that the problem is solved with a customization of limbSolver.

Code (CSharp):
    2. /// <summary>
    3. /// Updates the IK and sets the chain's transform positions.
    4. /// </summary>
    5. /// <param name="targetPositions">List of target positions.</param>
    6. protected override void DoUpdateIK(List<Vector3> targetPositions)
    7. {
    8.     var targetPosition = targetPositions[0];
    9.     var upperLimb = m_Chain.transforms[0];
    10.     var lowerLimb = m_Chain.transforms[1];
    11.     var effector = m_Chain.effector;
    13.     var targetLocalPosition2D = (Vector2)upperLimb.InverseTransformPoint(targetPosition);
    14.     targetPosition = upperLimb.TransformPoint(targetLocalPosition2D);
    15.     Debug.Log(Quaternion.FromToRotation(Vector3.right, new Vector2(-2f, -4f)).eulerAngles);
    17.     if (targetLocalPosition2D.sqrMagnitude > 0f && Limb.Solve(targetPosition, m_Lengths, m_Positions, ref m_Angles)) {
    18.         var upperLimbRotation = FromToZRotatiton(targetLocalPosition2D) * Quaternion.FromToRotation((Vector2)lowerLimb.localPosition, Vector3.right);
    19.         upperLimbRotation *= Quaternion.AngleAxis((flip ? -1f : 1f) * m_Angles[0], Vector3.forward);
    20.         upperLimb.localRotation *= upperLimbRotation;
    22.         var loweLimbRotation = FromToZRotatiton(lowerLimb.InverseTransformPoint(targetPosition)) * Quaternion.FromToRotation((Vector2)effector.localPosition, Vector3.right);
    23.         m_Chain.transforms[1].localRotation *= loweLimbRotation;
    24.     }
    25. }
    27. /// <summary>
    28. /// Calculates the rotation around the Z axis based on the direction of the provided vector
    29. /// </summary>
    30. /// <param name="direction"></param>
    31. /// <returns></returns>
    32. protected Quaternion FromToZRotatiton(Vector3 direction)
    33. {
    34.     return Quaternion.Euler(0f, 0f, Mathf.Atan2(direction.y, direction.x) * Mathf.Rad2Deg);
    35. }
    What surprises me a lot is that no one has noticed this problem before. To verify it, it is as simple as running these lines with some example values.

Debug.Log(Quaternion.FromToRotation(Vector3.right, new Vector2(-30f, -23f)).eulerAngles);

In this first case you can check how to obtain an appropriate rotation value (0.00, 0.00, 243.43)

Debug.Log(Quaternion.FromToRotation(Vector3.right, new Vector2(-0.5f, -0f)).eulerAngles);

However, in this other case you can see how Quaternion.FromToRotation returns a value for the other axis that causes a flip

Thanks for your interest

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
  4. MarekUnity

MarekUnity

Unity Technologies

5. Crokett

Crokett

You're welcome and thanks for registering the Bug. It's a small detail but it can be easily solved!