Search Unity

First RTMP Implementation results

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by PaulT, Dec 11, 2008.

1. PaulT

PaulT

During the last couple of months we've been working on a C# RTMP client with the goal of using it in Unity3D. Those who're familiar with Flash probably already know about RTMP(RPC server developed for Flash). This way you could use a Flash Media Server, Red5 server, wowza server, etc... in combination with Unity3D. One of the advantages about this is the built-in scaling options with edges and origins. This might be very useful when you want to connect large amounts of users.
    Users who're familiar with building multiplayer flash applications have advantages as well, since they can use the same server side code as they where used to!

Anyway I thought you might find it interesting here to know about this project. On my blog you'll find all the details about it: http://www.paultondeur.com/2008/12/11/rtmp-communication-with-unity3d-using-c-sharp/

The library isn't finished yet, but once it is finished we have the intention to open source that, so anybody could use it.

As an Unity user with a Actionscript background I find it very useful if we can connect and use RTMP servers like I was used to do with Flash. So an important goal is to make the API look as much as possible on how Adobe did it with Flash.

Beside that I would like to share this information about where we're working on, I'm interested to hear if others might be interested in a library like this or maybe want to join us with development... So let me know!
    Once we got this working I became even more enthusiastic about it... as soon as it is fully implemented I see a lot of new possibilities for online Unity apps.

2. Irix

Irix

Awesome work Paul, I'm sure there will be a lot of interest on this. Also, thanks for planning to release it as open source once it's done. I will surely be checking it out. 8)