Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question First Person - Limiting player (camera) rotation

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hi_ImTemmy, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

Hey folks,

I'm working on a first person character controller, and what I want to do is have the ability to restrict the player's horizontal rotation on some occasions.

At the moment, as the mouse is moved, the player is rotated like this:

transform.Rotate(Vector3.up * currentMouseDelta.x);

This works great when there is no restriction.

Because that takes a Vector3, what I've tried to do is set two limit vectors that represent any constraint. For example:

What we can do then is check the player's angle as a float to see if the player has reached a limit and then do something like

transform.forward = outwardLimitVector;

This works, but only if the player is moving the mouse slowly. If they supply a large delta (move the mouse very fast) then they jump over the limit. The checks then seem to break down because numbers suddenly change from 180 to -180 which makes any greater than, or less than, check tricky to do.

Any advice about how to better do this?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

If the player inputs a massive input, process it in a loop, iterating it one piece at a time.

Current rotation = 10

Proposed next-frame rotation = 300

"Okay, too much angle..."

Therefore iterate in 10 degree steps seeing if it clips the limit, then stop it.

3. Hi_ImTemmy

Hi_ImTemmy

Thanks as always @Kurt-Dekker. Will give it some thought!