Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

"File is missing" error

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by grogshotgames, Feb 13, 2017.

1. grogshotgames

grogshotgames

After clicking on Update now! I get this error:

I have looked into the editor.log and this is what it says:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Collab 2017-0213 16:02:42 GMT] Error 'File is missing' (37) returned in 'C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/Jobs/CollabUpdateAsyncJob.cpp' at line 618
    2. UPID Received '4813d248-fe0a-43f4-b46d-e4adf85108bf'.
    Any tips on how to solve this?

2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @grogshotgames,

You can get into this state if you deleted a file that another user edited. We have a fix incoming in an upcoming beta version of 5.6.

In the meantime, any of these workarounds should help you get out of this state. If you know which files you deleted then try putting them back and Updating again to see if that removes the error. If that doesn't work (or you don't have access to those deleted files) and you have local changes that you want to upload then you'll need to delete your snapshot file. You can do that by doing the following:

Exit Unity.
    Delete the snapshot:
    [Project Folder]/Library/Collab/CollabSnapshot_xxxxxxxxxxx.txt
    Open Unity/your project
    You will then push/Publish your changes to the server. NOTE: whatever is on your machine will be pushed to the server if you do this so just make sure that's what you want.

Your other option, if you want what is on the Server to be on you local disk, is to delete the project from your local disk and re-download it from In The Cloud.

Let me know if any of these options unblock you.

3. grogshotgames

grogshotgames

Is there a release date for that upcoming version?

If I delete the snapshot, my coworkers will lose their work. If I delete my project and download it from the server, I will obviously, lose all my work. So none of those are viable options...

4. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We should have that fix in hopefully by 5.6b10.

There is a roundabout way of getting everyone's changes using the method where you delete your snapshot file. If you were to remove your snapshot and then publish, your current state would become the new head of the project. That means that their changes wouldn't be reflected in the latest version of the project, seemingly overwriting them.

Now that does suck, a lot. But there is still a way to get those missing changes. Since your teammates have already made commits with their new changes, you'll essentially have a list of every file that was modified between your last update and now. You can use the Collab History window to Go Back To each of those "skipped" revisions, copy out those changed files, then Restore to the latest revision and paste those files back in (resolving the conflicts that come up). You can also Go to the Dashboard from the Collaborate panel in the Services Window, switch to the Assets tab, and do the same thing by navigating to each changed file and downloading the version from your teammate in the File History. That should let you re-add their changes and ensure that no one's work is lost (assuming that there aren't a whole lot of merge conflicts to resolve).

5. NateReese77

NateReese77

This still happens on our projects - using 2018.2.1

6. AruRen

AruRen

Soooo.. I lost tons of files and scripts thanks to collab. How can things like this happen?

It should be 1000000000% safe to use collab.

Even files that were months old simply disappeared. I tried to roll back to see the name, or grab the scripts/files from older version, they are not even there anymore, still missing.

HOW!? I have to deliver a project tomorrow and final delivery next monday. OMG

7. AruRen

AruRen

Waw.. unity broke my legs in the worse moment possible.

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @AruRen! I'm sorry to hear that you're running into an issue with Collab. If you can open a ticket with our Support Team then they'll be happy to help you get unblocked.

ollieblanks likes this.
  9. SuperNinjaWaffleBagel

SuperNinjaWaffleBagel

Hello, the "file is missing" error is happening in version 2019.2.11... Is there a work around at this point?

10. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @donutsorelse (love the name, btw), have you tried restarting Unity? This error is pretty rare and typically resolves itself after a restart. It's possible to run into this when updating a file outside of Unity while in the middle of a publish or revert.

11. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Same issue here, a lot of work in the team will be lost or redone ... it's really annoying
    Unity 2019.1.8f1

12. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Hedgehog-Team, are you still seeing this error after retrying your publish?

13. Hedgehog-Team

Hedgehog-Team

Hi,

On the workstations that had the problem, we have no other solution than to re-download the entire project from the cloud, then manually reimport the change and pusblish them.

We identified the problem, it comes from the name of a directory which has an accent. The fact of having put an accent seems to pose problems . This directory must undergo no modification otherwise we have this error every time

14. megabadboy

megabadboy

I suggest yo to export a package of the scene and assets you worked and restore you last commit. After that you import the exported package and replace the files.
    It works for me.

15. danarchyx

danarchyx

Just hit this in our two-person project. None of the workarounds have helped so far. On Collab 1.3.9. So far I can't even figure out which file it thinks is missing...

16. danarchyx

danarchyx

Output from editor.log:

[Collab 2020-1016 23:25:25 GMT][Error] 'File is missing' (37) returned in 'C:\buildslave\unity\build\Editor/Src/Collab/Jobs/CollabUpdateAsyncJob.cpp' at line 809
    RefreshInfo: StopAssetImportingV2(ForceSynchronousImport) scanfilter:
    RefreshProfiler: Total: 0.000ms
    InvokeBeforeRefreshCallbacks: 6.458ms
    ApplyChangesToAssetFolders: 0.887ms
    WriteModifiedImportersToTextMetaFiles: 0.075ms
    CleanLegacyArtifacts: 0.000ms
    Scan: 0.000ms
    OnSourceAssetsModified: 3.855ms
    UnregisterDeletedAssets: 0.000ms
    InitializeImportedAssetsSnapshot: 0.000ms
    GetAllGuidsForCategorization: 0.000ms
    CategorizeAssets: 0.000ms
    ImportAndPostprocessOutOfDateAssets: 0.000ms (0.000ms without children)
    ImportManagerImport: 0.000ms (0.000ms without children)
    ImportInProcess: 0.000ms
    ImportOutOfProcess: 0.000ms
    UpdateCategorizedAssets: 0.000ms
    RemoteAssetCacheUploadArtifacts: 0.000ms (0.000ms without children)
    RemoteAssetCacheUploadMetadata: 0.000ms
    RemoteAssetCacheGetArtifact: 0.000ms (0.000ms without children)
    RemoteAssetCacheFetchMetadata: 0.000ms
    RemoteAssetCacheMatchMetadataResults: 0.000ms
    RemoteAssetCacheDownloadFile: 0.000ms
    CompileScripts: 0.000ms
    PostProcessAllAssets: 0.000ms
    ReloadImportedAssets: 0.000ms
    VerifyAssetsAreUpToDateAndCorrect: 0.000ms
    EnsureUptoDateAssetsAreRegisteredWithGuidPM: 0.000ms
    InitializingProgressBar: 0.000ms
    PostProcessAllAssetNotificationsAddChangedAssets: 0.000ms
    OnDemandSchedulerStart: 0.000ms
    RestoreLoadedAssetsState: 0.000ms
    InvokeProjectHasChanged: 0.000ms
    UpdateImportedAssetsSnapshot: 0.000ms
    ReloadSourceAssets: 0.000ms
    UnloadImportedAssets: 0.000ms
    Hotreload: 0.000ms
    FixTempGuids: 0.030ms
    VerifyGuidPMRegistrations: 0.004ms
    GatherAllCurrentPrimaryArtifactRevisions: 0.000ms
    UnloadStreamsBegin: 0.375ms
    LoadedImportedAssetsSnapshotReleaseGCHandles: 0.076ms
    GetLoadedSourceAssetsSnapshot: 0.000ms
    PersistCurrentRevisions: 0.000ms
    UnloadStreamsEnd: 0.195ms
    GenerateScriptTypeHashes: 0.020ms

How do I tell which file is missing? What steps can be taken here?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  17. danarchyx

danarchyx

Had my partner push an update and tried to sync again and additional error is now in the console.

Calling Deallocate on pointer, that can not be deallocated by allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD
    UnityEditor.Collaboration.Collab:Update(String, Boolean)
    Unity.Cloud.Collaborate.Models.Providers.<>c:<RequestSync>g__Callback|88_0(Nullable`1, IReadOnlyList`1) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.3.9/Editor/Models/Providers/Collab.cs:682)
    Unity.Cloud.Collaborate.Models.Providers.Collab:OnReceiveHistoryEntries(RevisionsResult) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collab-proxy@1.3.9/Editor/Models/Providers/Collab.cs:267)
    UnityEditor.Collaboration.RevisionsService:OnFetchRevisions(IntPtr)

18. danarchyx

danarchyx

Ok, figured out the issue here. I kept syncing and eventually one of the files in the changlelist got updated with the missing file icon (never showed in the logs though). I couldn't revert that file from the changelist but it had been a move so I simply deleted the new file and reverted the old (the one with the minus in the cl). I could then sync and push the changes. After that I moved the file and renamed it successfully.

beau-carrel likes this.
  19. Holonet

Holonet

Adding to what was just said, specifically, had this issue when 1 person modifies a file, and the other person changes the file's location/folder. Only way to fix it was to revert changes to that file. Fortunately, it was not of much consequence, but that's pure luck. Please fix this Unity!

20. eLeCtrOssSnake

eLeCtrOssSnake

21. noemis

noemis

Wow. Four years later after the first post, the issue still breaks the workflow. Just started to give a customer fast preview to a project and he can't update because this error "file missing". We're using 2020.3.11.

22. Jalrashu

Jalrashu

Same issue. 2020.3.20 editor 1.11.2 Version Control. No idea what file it believes is missing aside from a super unhelpful "File is Missing" statement in the UI.

Will have to try to manually sort out changes and redownload the project.

wyattrees likes this.
  23. b0mbad1l

b0mbad1l

Same error here, without any explanatio, wich file.

wyattrees likes this.
  24. Ken_Stanley

Ken_Stanley

Same error here.

wyattrees likes this.
  25. leegod

leegod

Same error still occur.

26. RYOD

RYOD

I have met same problem today.
    So, my case this problem occurred from Japanese name's asset and meta file.
    Sometime if i have never changed, collaborate system adds Japanese name's assets to publish changes.
    And, this time i deleted this Japanese name's asset and published.
    Then i changed my PC and sync. And... yes occurred.