Search Unity

Feature request : Updating Unity Hub should not remove it from being pinned

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by DoctorShinobi, Oct 27, 2018.

1. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Hey! I'd like to request a feature.
    On Windows, I like to pin programs that I use often to the start bar. This makes sure I can see their icon even when the programs themselves are not open. But there is a problem with Unity Hub that whenever I let UH upgrade itself, it gets removed from being pinned in the start bar. I assume that's because the update removes the old UH and installs a new one instead, thus it is considered as a new program.
    Is it something that could be fixed in future releases of Unity Hub?

SugoiDev likes this.
  2. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Yeah, that's pretty annoying. The first few times I thought I hadn't pinned it at all, or maybe that Windows was acting up.

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Wonder if this is related to the Windows version or something. This didn't happen for me on Windows 10 for last update from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0, Unity Hub kept being pinned after the update.

4. DanielTG

DanielTG

Hi all,

Can you please clarify if you mean the Start Menu or the Task Bar in Windows 10?
    (screenshot or verbal description will do thanks)

We have a few of this related features for better native OS behaviour in our backlog so it would be good to highlight all of these inconvenient/annoying scenarios.

Thanks
    Daniel

5. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

@DanielTG In my case, it's the taskbar icon that was being unpinned. I don't use the Start Menu, so I can't comment on that.

6. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Sorry about that. I meant the Taskbar. That one horizontal line at the bottom of the screen that shows your open programs and is adjacent to the Start Menu.

7. Deozaan

Deozaan

I have it pinned to the task bar and I'm pretty sure the pin survives Hub updates for me. Hmm...

8. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

Weird, so it's inconsistent? It happens to me on Windows 10 Home, using English language and pretty up to date. It occurs on both my Laptop, home PC and work PC.

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Like mentioned before, it keeps itself pinned for me too.

You update the Hub manually or let it update itself?

Wonder if it matters how you pin it or does it create similar shortcut anyway? I've always just had the program running and right clicked the icon on taskbar to pin it. No idea if dragging a shortcut will pin the shortcut instead of the program (as that could generate issues like this if the original shortcut goes away)

10. DoctorShinobi

DoctorShinobi

I update it from within the Hub itself. And I also pin it by running it, right clicking it's Task Bar icon and then selecting "Pin to taskbar"

11. Wolfram

Wolfram

Many people still have this problem, there are several threads about this already.
    Using Windows 10 Home, set to English.
    Using Unity Hub since before the official 1.0 release.
    The pinned taskbar icon gets removed after EVERY update. I always update from within Unity Hub.
    It is admittedly a minor problem - but that makes it all the more annoying. :-(

12. laessnb

laessnb

This is still happening. I've filed a bug, but they asked me to attach a project. Sigh :).

13. Wolfram

Wolfram

Well, there was a SLIGHT improvement recently: The Hub now shows up in the notification bar and stays there - but only AFTER you started it at least once manually, it's gone again after each reboot...
    So it really doesn't change anything.

lol -.-

14. nsxdavid

nsxdavid

Yup, major annoying.

15. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

We're sorry about this. We haven't investigated the issue yet but it seems to be related to Windows 10 (see duplicate post). We'll get around to it soon.

Cheers,

laessnb likes this.