Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Featherstone's solver for articulations

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by yant, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ashtorak

ashtorak

I got the following setup, which is mostly working, but I have a question.

0 - root (not shown here, but everything sits on a larger hierarchy)
    -1 - rev joint
    --2 - prismatic, which drives everything
    ---3 - rev
    ----b1 - rev (back leg)
    -----b2 - rev
    ----f1 - rev (front legs)
    -----f2 - rev

There are two legs in the front and one in the back. The second front leg is not set up yet, but it is not important as the movement is only in one axis as you can see in the video and it's not relevant to the question anyway.
    The legs have small cubes (blue) attached on f2 and b2, that are kept in place by the yellow cubes (attached to root). In this way I got them working ok-ish as supports. But I was wondering, if there is another way to do supports for an arrangement like this with articulation bodies or is just not possible? Because it doesn't seem right and it's also not unproblematic as the cube can just snap out when you put too much force on it too fast.
    (I just realized that I probably could just use spheres instead of the cubes and the lower rev joints. It would be a bit like an actual bearing even in this case.)

support question2.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  2. i-make-robots

i-make-robots

GetJointPositions, SetDriveTargets, and GetDriveTargets...
    are they using values in degrees or radians? the documentation is unspecific.
    I'd really like them to be degrees, same as the joint upper and lower limits.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  3. JuozasK

JuozasK

Unity Technologies

GetJointPositions will return the same values for the whole chain as ArticulationBody.jointPosition returns for one, where the units would be meters for linear joints and radians for angular ones.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/ArticulationBody-jointPosition.html

Same idea with SetDriveTargets and GetDriveTargets.

https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.1/Documentation/ScriptReference/ArticulationDrive-target.html

Meters for linear, radians for angular.

4. JuozasK

JuozasK

Unity Technologies

That's an interesting use case. Unfortunately we don't support loop joints currently, since that would require creating a Joint with the ground at f2 and b2 points and our joints currently have a hard requirement on having Rigidbodies, which directly interfere with ArticulationBodies.

As it stands, workarounds like this would be the way to go for simulating robots of this type.

babiskir and ashtorak like this.
  5. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Hello folks!
    I have a small update. So after a little bit of experimenting and tinkering, I managed to bump the Articulation Body tree limit from 64 links to 256. I've cooked up a test build (which you can find here), any feedback or spotted issues are very welcome.
    This limit must be chosen at compile time of PhysX so unfortunately it cannot be exposed as a field in the Physics settings. The change also brings a ~10% performance boost to the Articulation Body solver. Hope this enables more use-cases.

If all goes well, the upgrade should be considered for an official release soon.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    babiskir, drycactus, ashtorak and 8 others like this.
  6. Qleenie

Qleenie

this sounds great, do you know which Unity versions this will be integrated to? Only latest 2023.1 alpha, or also older versions?

7. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Well, for now it's only going to the latest 2023.1 alpha. If everything goes well, and there is a demand for it, I imagine it's possible to backport it. Although I'm hesitant to promise that, because this improvement required quite a few changes in PhysX which actually had to trickle out of Articulation Body code a little bit.

Qleenie likes this.
  8. Qleenie

Qleenie

I can confirm demand;) but I know Unity was very strict about backporting. Would be cool if possible.

9. lazyrobotboy

lazyrobotboy

Is it possible to simulate force torque sensors for each joint in an articulation chain that react to external collisions? Haven't found a solution yet.

10. Giantbean

Giantbean

Is there a tutorial for this anywhere? I'm trying to get UltraLeap ir 170 to work with XR interactions and the interaction toolkit but the Interaction Behavior makes objects disappear. If full physics hands with articulation bodies can be done I have made a lot of VR projects but I'm still having issues with leap, still I would love to test this out if there is a demo or tutorial on how to set it up.

Thanks.

11. wsinw

wsinw

https://docs.ultraleap.com/ultralab/physicshands-preview-blogpost.html

12. drycactus

drycactus

Hi,
    We are using the reduced coordinate pipeline with very good results so far for our game Plasma ( https://store.steampowered.com/app/1409160 )
    The main drawback is not being able to use cylinders (ex: wheels), we have tried with different tessellation count (32, 64,128 edges etc.) but the main problem across the board is hard bounces when edges hit which causes plenty of jittering.
    I came across this thread on the PhysX github https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/PhysX/issues/50 where they talk about using 'rest offset' parameters to smooth the edges a bit, although I'm pretty sure this is something that isn't exposed on the Unity side.
    Would it be possible to consider adding this feature so we can have smooth cylinders when using articulations?
    Thanks!
    Patrick

13. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Hey Patrick!

Actually, we're working hard to natively introduce cylinders with PhysX 4.1 and Unity. So far we have promising results, but I won't commit to any dates yet. Let's hope things go well and it gets rolled out eventually.

In the meantime, any solution would have to be somewhat hack-ish, either using contact modification to smoothen out the bumps, or doing some custom code of other nature (based on queries etc). In our robotics toolbox, we are recommending to use spheres instead of cylinders precisely for the reasons you outlined.

Anthony

14. drycactus

drycactus

Thanks Anthony, I'll look forward to the native cylinder implementation with patience :)

JuozasK and Augustinas-Simkus like this.
  15. goncalo-vasconcelos

goncalo-vasconcelos

Hi,
    I would also like to support the request for exposing the 'rest offset' parameter on colliders.
    Over the years, I've seen numerous threads on these forums asking for help related to bodies hitting collider seams when sliding (some recent examples: 1, 2, 3, 4).

From PhysX documentation and developer comments, it seems like one of the simplest way to mitigate the issue is to increase the 'rest offset' for the participating colliders.

https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/Ph...xguide/Manual/AdvancedCollisionDetection.html
    https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/PhysX/issues/50
    https://gameworksdocs.nvidia.com/Ph...xShape.html#a413afb25b39a7a0cf0981aa01c6d7f8b
    I have created a simple scene to test the effect of the rest offset setting on another engine, and recorded the results in the PhysX Visual Debugger.

In the video, both yellow ramps are made from a number of same-sized cubes placed next to each other.
    The cubes making up the ramp that is further away from the camera have a 'rest offset' setting of zero, while
    the ones making up ramp that is closest have 'rest offset' that is larger than zero.
    The sliding green cubes hit every seam between colliders in the first ramp, but slide smoothly on the closest one with the non-zero rest offset.

koirat and DragonCoder like this.
  16. JuozasK

JuozasK

Unity Technologies

Hey! You are absolutely right. It's a simple task and we have added it to our task list. I'm not sure if we are going to be backporting it though, so in the meantime you can fix the ghost contact issues by using the existing contact modification workflow.

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  17. drycactus

drycactus

Thanks for all the hard work and ongoing support of the articulation pipeline.
    I was also hoping there are plans to implement adding a 'soft' constrain in an articulation to form loops, I understand this is something PhysX supports (of course that joint isn't accurate like the rest of the articulation links) but not implemented Unity side yet.
    The articulation approach is awesome for so many reasons, but the lack of being able to make loops can be a real killer for gameplay in a physics sandbox (from the point of view of the player that is).
    Here's hoping this is on the radar.
    Thanks,
    Patrick

DarkMemories likes this.
  18. JuozasK

JuozasK

Unity Technologies

That's also something that we were looking into, though currently it poses a tough challenge. Our entire joint system is dependent on rigid bodies, so to be able to create a joint without an ArticulationBody or a Rigidbody component, that would form a loop in the Articulation tree, we would first need to detach the existing joint components from the Rigidbody or create a new component specifically for this case. Either way it's a big task and I can't even give an estimate on when that would be completed, but just wanted to share that it's definitely something we'd like to enable users to do.

Flavelius and DragonCoder like this.
  19. drycactus

drycactus

Hi Augustinas,

Would you be able to provide an update on the increase to 256 links limit in a tree?
    It doesn't seem to be in the release notes for 2013.1a yet, and we would LOVE to have it backported to 2022.2b so that we can use it in our upcoming game without the inherent risk of using an alpha release of Unity.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Qleenie likes this.
  20. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Hey Patrick,

Sorry for the silence, the PR encountered quite a few not physics related problems, but looking at the schedule right now, it should be published as part of 2023.1.0a17.

The final final PhysX change iteration was a lot less invasive so I have more hope for the backport to be approved.

I'll post an update once the change actually lands + once I have some more information on the backport for 2022.2

Edit: Finally merged as part of 2023.1.0a17!

Augustinas

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
    drycactus and Qleenie like this.
  21. drycactus

drycactus

Well that's great news! We would LOVE to see this backported to 2022.2, I'll cross my fingers and hold my breath until we find out!

Augustinas-Simkus likes this.
  22. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Took a while but finally landed in 2022.2.2f1!

23. drycactus

drycactus

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know, is there a planned release date for 2022.2.2f1?

24. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Just before Christmas as far as I know

drycactus likes this.
  25. ashtorak

ashtorak

Still no plans for interpolation? I don't really want to run all of the physics faster just to have smooth movement of articulations in certain cases.

goncalo-vasconcelos and Qleenie like this.
  26. Qleenie

Qleenie

+1 for interpolation. This is very much needed to use Articulation Bodies in game context.

ashtorak likes this.
  27. tdhoopership

tdhoopership

The initial mass isn't respected if there isn't a collider present, it will behave as if it has a mass of 1... though if you change the mass at runtime, the new mass will be used.

28. drycactus

drycactus

I'm not sure if this is only relevant to Articulations, but there seems to have been a change made to how linear damping is applied.
    In the two GIFs below, the top Cube has linear damping value of 2, the bottom has the default value of 0.05.
    Both cubes have a slight impulse added to them for a frame and have no gravity applied.
    The top GIF is from Unity 2021.3, the bottom GIF is the behavior seen from 2022.1 and forwards.
    Is this a known/intentional change? I couldn't find any information anywhere about it.
    Thanks,
    Patrick
    ezgif-3-4b35f15148.gif
    ezgif-3-68699317b9.gif

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  29. methusalah999

methusalah999

It might be due to the Unity 2022 being the most bugged Unity of all times. Pro tip : don't use it.

30. Edy

Edy

Looks like a bug to me. I'd recommend you to file a bug report that repro scene.

31. Flavelius

Flavelius

I just encountered this misbehaviour (2021.3.18f1). It seems the damping value is randomly not initalized correctly. When changing the value from the inspector (at runtime), to some other value and back to the initial value, it behaves as expected.

32. JuozasK

JuozasK

Unity Technologies

Hmmm sounds odd. Could you report a bug on that so we could keep track of it? Thank you very much!

33. Flavelius

Flavelius

I currently use a workaround, so (i have to be honest that) i'll probably forget to report it as i have too much else to do, sorry. But, the workaround is to also just set linear/angular damping, joint friction and mass to some slightly different values and back in Start() or Awake().

34. Hummy91

Hummy91

Is there a working solution for disabling an articulation hierarchy? I've tried various combinations of zero'ing out velocities, disabling/enabling the AB Component none of which seem to work in a stable manner.

I basically have an articulation hierarchy which gets pulled around by a Rigidbody via configurable joint.

For performance, I need to disable the entire AB hierarchy and re-enable it at a later time. When I do this, I'm attempting to use TeleportRoot on the AB root to move it back into a valid position, and then re-create the configurable joint.

However the root AB always ends up in the right place but with an incorrect orientation. If I repeat these steps at runtime (Disable/Enable repeat), the orientation continues to diverge and visually the root AB appears to have an increasing rotation, even though in the TeleportRoot call, I'm passing the same/fixed rotation.

35. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Just to make sure, the Rigidbody is not in the same hierarchy tree as the articulations, right?
    This sounds wrong, could you report a bug with a sample that reproduces this?

36. Hummy91

Hummy91

That's.. partially correct yeah. The hieararchy looks like:
    -Empty Wrapper
    -- Rigidbody (Configurable Joint on this game object, targeting the sibling root AB)
    -- ArticulationRoot
    --- ArticulationChild1
    ---- More AB Children
    --- ArticullationChild2
    ---- More AB Children

If the case the above is unclear, the Rigidbody and the root ArticulationBody are siblings under the same empty game object. But outside of that they arn't connected in any way and the empty wrapper above them isn't used or moved.

Yep, I'm currently in the process of testing this on a scaled down easy to repro test case. Will open a bug once I can confirm its occurring in this test case.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  37. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Siblings are fine. But making a Rigidbody a child of an Articulation or vice versa is known to cause issues and is discouraged. We're adding a proper warning for these scenarios very soon.

38. codebiscuits

codebiscuits

I’ve been having a similar problem.
    I'm using a FixedJoint, not ConfigurableJoint, and I'm seeing translational offsets, not rotations, but it's otherwise similar.
    I’m sitting on a minimal repro project, but haven't contacted anyone yet as I'm not yet sure it isn't me doing something silly:)
    I found (but am in the process of properly confirming) that adding a collider (box collider in my case, will try convex mesh later) to the root articulation made everything behave properly when I disabled and enabled the root container object.
    May be related to https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...s-behavior-after-attaching-a-trigger-collider
    (Although adding a *trigger* didn't help with my enable/disable problem: it seems to want a proper collider)
    (I already had a box collider that the Rigidbody was "using", it seemed like I needed to add another to the articulation root to make it behave)

In my Googling I've come across a couple of links, but I've not got anything working yet (since I discovered this collider thing just now)
    http://anja-haumann.de/unity-preserve-articulation-body-state/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/how...ble-articulation-chains.1184662/#post-7582714

39. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Could this be due to Match Anchors recalculating the Parent Anchor based on the new Transform values when enabling? I think this could be a common pitfall for this workflow. If the Articulation was moved by its drive while enabled, after disabling and enabling, it will automatically recalculate its Parent Anchor based on the position where it woke up not where it was originally created at (if Match Anchors is set to true).

So the linked bug is actually causing Articulations that have no Collider have the default mass (1kg). Adding a Trigger is "enough" to cause some recalculations that update the mass correctly. The fact that you need an actual Collider could mean that you have something wrong with your Inertia Tensor (perhaps its unrealistically small?). Triggers do not contribute to the Center of Mass or the Inertia Tensor but regular Colliders do.

codebiscuits likes this.
  40. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Turns out this was a regression in PhysX patch 4.1.2. Fix is about to land in 2023.2 and will be backported to all affected streams. Issue Tracked page:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/UUM-32857

codebiscuits, drycactus and tjmaul like this.
  41. neekoh

neekoh

Hey all! I've only just started looking at this stuff. Is there a way to enable interpolation on Articulations like with Rigidbodies? I'm on 2021.3.23. I have an articulation chain connected to a rigidbody with a FixedJoint and while the physical behaviour is exactly as wanted, the meshes attached on the articulations jitter around, since our physics step and frame rate don't match, and we're moving at considerable speed.
    I guess I could at some point try stepping physics at a variable rate to eventually land on synced transforms, but I'm rather hesitant to try that as a solution to an otherwise working scenario.

42. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Nope, there is no built-in way to do that at the moment. Although you can do it manually with a script. It's actually even simpler than with Rigidbodies since Articulations don't read Transforms, only write to them. My quick experiment results:

Simulated at 0.2s Time.fixedDeltaTime and interpolated every update

neekoh and codebiscuits like this.
  43. codebiscuits

codebiscuits

We've been doing manual interpolation like this in our game for a while, seems to work OK (Rigidbody connected via FixedJoint to articulation hierarchy too!)
    @Augustinas-Simkus would you consider sharing your script? I'd share mine, but I kindof quickly threw it together and it's at the point where "it looks like it works, probably":) I get that yours is a quick experiment too, but I think PhysX is your specialty, whereas I kindof do a bit of everything, never quite convinced that I know what I'm doing:)

44. neekoh

neekoh

Right, well I don't know why I didn't even consider that. :) Will try this next week.

45. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Oh yeah, for sure. Attaching it now.
    Be careful with time keeping, I think that's the hardest part here. If you load my sample scene at some later point after starting the game, I think it will break.

Attached Files:

codebiscuits likes this.
  46. codebiscuits

codebiscuits

Hi,

Should ArticulationBody.index change when you disable and then enable the root parent GameObject?
    I don't see anything in the documentation about how index is determined (or if it's deterministic, or kindof arbitrary)?

In the attached project (2021.3.5f1 LTS, Windows 11):
    I set up a simple hierarchy in the editor (body index seems to get assigned kindof arbitrarily depending on the order I add stuff);
    You can see the body indicies in the editor before running;
    There's a simple script that logs the indicies: this matches the editor values in first OnEnable;
    The script disables and re-enables the hierarchy every 2s;
    OnDisable logs all indicies as -1 (fine, I guess);
    Next OnEnable has different indicies logged (and these different values are shown in the editor);
    Subsequent disable/enable cycles preserve these different indicies.

GetDofStartIndices also returns a different array after the first enable/disable; but, the index it's giving me into JointPositions (etc) is different to the one it gave on startup.
    What I'm trying to do is cache the joint positions in FixedUpdate, and then restore them in OnEnable (similar to this http://anja-haumann.de/unity-preserve-articulation-body-state/): but I can't do that if the indicies change between FixedUpdate -> OnDisable -> OnEnable?
    Now that I understand what's going on, I can workaround, but I thought I should ask if it's intended behaviour (or, if I'm misunderstanding something:)

It'd be *really nice* if you could just disable/enable the GameObject, and it'd correctly pick up it's previous configuration (joint positions, velocities, everything), rather than zeroing/rebuilding:)

I'm getting analogous behaviour in my main project, where I add the articulations from code in the first run of OnEnable.

Same behaviour in Unity 2022.2.16f1, 2023.1.0.b13, 2023.2.0a11

Attached Files:

47. Augustinas-Simkus

Augustinas-Simkus

Unity Technologies

Right, so the Articulation Body indices depend on the order they awake in. I took a look and the problem is caused by the fact that when loading the Scene, the Component initialization is sorted by InstanceIDs and when enabling/disabling it's a nice top to bottom/bottom to top tree traversal respectively.
    I've changed your toggle function to the following and it now seems to work.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void ToggleEnableState()
    2. {
    3.     m_State = !m_State;
    5.     if (m_State)
    6.     {
    7.         gameObject.SetActive(true);
    8.         // Enable them back in the sorted order used by Scene loading
    9.         foreach (var ab in m_ArticulationsSorted)
    10.             ab.enabled = true;
    11.     }
    12.     else
    13.     {
    14.         // We can disable these in any order, bottom to top would be the most efficient
    15.         foreach (var ab in m_ArticulationsSorted)
    16.             ab.enabled = false;
    17.         gameObject.SetActive(false);
    18.     }
    19. }

codebiscuits likes this.
  48. CvFish

CvFish

Hello, I am working on a project using the Articulation Drive in prismatic and revolute joints. I have used the URDF importer to import a robot (3DOF, 1 prismatic along the x axis and 2 revolute joints rotating about the y axis with an offset from each other). When using position only control (where damping is 0), the joints behave as expected, except for the 2nd joint, where it deviates from the desired position by about 8%. When I have tried to implement velocity and position based control (damping is 1/4th of the stiffness value) with the intention to reduce instantaneous accelerations, this 2nd joint only behaves worse. Furthermore, I have found that the values of joint.jointPosition and joint.jointVelocity don't match as expected.

What I mean by this is that if I read out the position at each time step and compare it with the velocity from each time step, it does not match. These discrepancies can be seen in the images attached. Examples include:
    1. A positive velocity over a number of seconds leads to a negative position (but not always! and only seen in joint 2, where the value of the velocity * delta time != position)
    2. Joint 2 also appears to require a constant non-zero velocity in order to maintain a constant non-zero position
    3. A certain magnitude of velocity over a certain period of time results in the expected position change in joint 1. However, when parasitic movement of joint 1 is seen when moving joint 3, the same magnitude of velocity over the same amount of time results in a tiny fraction of the original movement of joint 1.

Are there any known issues that may be causing this? Or ideas what to look at to fix this? I have also tested this with a 7DOF all revolute joint robot, and I had no issues there. Position based control had no significant issues. Velocity/position based control with damping at 1/4th of the stiffness value worked as expected as well, so I am at a loss on what the difference and the issue is with the 3DOF robot. I appreciate any and all insight on this. position vs time.png velocity vs time.png

49. Hummy91

Hummy91

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue with ArticulationBodies twitching.

Some context: I have an active ragdoll character using ABs as character joints. It's built using two skeletons, an underlying and hidden animated/ik skeleton upon which animations are played. And the visible skeleton which has the Articulation Bodies. The animated bone rotations from skeleton 1 are passed to the matching AB's on skeleton 2 as reduced space joint targets.
    This has all worked flawlessly for me so far, for all types of animation including locomotion (the most troublesome in this situation in my opinion). I've also had no trouble using Unity's AnimationRigging (IK solution) on the underlying skeleton and the AB skeleton following along just fine.

I recently grabbed the FinalIK product from the asset store and gave their FullBodyBipedIK component a go. It works as advertised on the underlying animated skeleton, no issues what so ever as seen in this gif: https://imgur.com/a/APUfoWq (if it seems choppy, its because I was manipulating the Y position of the target sphere in the inspector).

With the above situation, the AB skeleton has odd twitching/oscillating between extreme rotational values on certain axis and on random joints. See gif: https://imgur.com/a/22AkHyq

Some things worth mentioning, this components IK Solver is processed in LateUpdate and I don't believe it would work anywhere else. That being said, I wouldnt expect that to affect the AB's.

I've tried a few random tweaks and adjustments to see if I could remedy or even minimize the issue such as adjusting the physics timestep, changing the ArticulationBody settings for the bodies that are twitching. I've also tried freeing up connected Ab's and their settings but nothing seems to remedy this. And I'm not too surprised by that because this setup works for everything else and is very stable atm.

Here is a gif of the thigh ArticulationBody component during twitching: https://imgur.com/a/RILEjKr You can see the rotational target for both drives jumping. The rotational values for the matching bone on the animated skeleton are not jumping at all. So my first assumption was that my method for calculating the joint targets was wrong but then it works for normal animations and everything else which leaves me stumped. I mean its also working for half of the 'twitch' if that makes sense.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  50. kevinskwk

kevinskwk

Hello! I am working on a project that involves a chain of articulation bodies. A few of them have revolute joints and the rest are fixed. the root of the articulation chain is suspended from above and the end of it is supposed to drag on the floor. I need to get the contact force and friction between the ending link of the articulation chain and the floor.

However, the contact force I got using contact.Impulse is a few times larger than what I expected from my physics calculation. And interestingly, when I manually uncheck and check "use gravity" in each of the ArticulationBodies, the contact force gradually decreases back to the value I expect. Most of the intermediate ArticulationBodies have a mass of 10e-7, and I realized that toggling the gravity of links further from the pivot point (suspension point) decreases the contact force by a larger amount.

I have experimented slightly more and found out that from the inspector, toggling the ArticulationBody component, or setting the mass to an arbitrarily large value and then setting it back will also decrease the contact force back to normal. However, doing the same thing automatically in a script does not work.

I find this issue really bizarre and suspect that it might be a bug. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look into? Or any other possible ways to bypass this? Thank you!