Search Unity

Fatal Error : Failed to initialize unity graphics

Discussion in 'Linux' started by PalmCivetMenace, May 14, 2018.

1. PalmCivetMenace

PalmCivetMenace

Hi,
    I am new to ubuntu.
    I just installed ubuntu and I wanted to install unity.
    Downloaded the unity installer and Installed it.
    But when i try to make a new project I get the following message box :

Fatal Error
    Failed to initialize unity graphics

Please Help,
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

Fox-Craft and ShefSam like this.
  2. Krstn

Krstn

I have the exact same issue, have you been able to fix this?

ShefSam likes this.
  3. mageaster

mageaster

Have you installed appropriate drivers for your graphic card?

4. Krstn

Krstn

It's a VPS, I would think it's already done. Any chance I could check what Unity is looking for?
    Unity starts fine, this happens after I select the project.

Fox-Craft likes this.
  5. mageaster

mageaster

Who would need graphic drivers on SERVER?

Of course, launcher don't need 3D acceleration.

6. Krstn

Krstn

Well if I understand your rhetorics properly, I do.
    Anyway, I have windows setup on the same server and Unity works there fine.

7. Tak

Tak

This probably means that your environment doesn't have sufficient 3d driver support to run Unity.
    If you post an editor log from one of these sessions (~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log or add -logfile /my/custom/log/path to the command line), we can verify.

8. Krstn

Krstn

Code (CSharp):
    2. LX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    3. GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    4. [vulkan] LoadVulkanLibrary libvulkan.so.1[vulkan] LoadVulkanLibrary failed to load libvulkan.so.1Vulkan detection: 0
    5. GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    6. GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    7. GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    8. GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_get_proc_address GLX_ARB_multisample GLX_EXT_import_context GLX_EXT_visual_info GLX_EXT_visual_rating GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent GLX_OML_swap_method GLX_SGIS_multisample GLX_SGIX_fbconfig GLX_SGIX_pbuffer GLX_SGI_make_current_read
    9. Failed to initialize unity graphics.
    11. (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Application/Application.cpp Line: 958)
    13. Gtk-Message: 10:11:15.956: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
    14. libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
    15. libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
    This is what I get in the logs.

9. usamagaard

usamagaard

Did you ever get this to work?

10. Bloognoo

Bloognoo

HACKY SOLUTION:
    I have had this same issue - I got round it by using cinnamon's software rendering mode.
    If you're using any ubuntu flavour distro you can get it by installing cinnamon desktop. There will be a better way to switch to fallback rendering but I don't know how off hand.

REASON WHY IT'S HAPPENING:
    Your openGL version is older than version 3.3 required by Unity on linux. There were some pretty big updates to opengl around that version that made it considerably more fun to code with.
    Windows is better at falling back to software rendering opengl for versions not supported in hardware, linux less so :(.
    On startup Unity tries to fall back to software rendering mode (swrast == software rasterizer), but for whatever reason can't find the device. If you run your whole desktop using software rendering then unity gets what it's looking for and starts up.

REAL SOLUTION:
    Throw some money at a gfx card that supports opengl 3.3 and up

MikeM1970 likes this.
  11. windunesia

windunesia

Thanks Bro!

12. ryanjo

ryanjo

Unity Technologies

VMs can be difficult to due to the graphics driver issues. I have seen that using the software drivers can allow unity to launch a project in a VM, but this is not a currently supported configuration.

13. tntrobber1234

tntrobber1234

im getting the same problem, but i cant run a VM or a different desktop (cinamon) my computer is nearly 10 years old, could that be my problem? any alternative solutions?

14. Pnvanol

Pnvanol

Im making a pixel art game with a 2070rtx is that not enough for unity??