Search Unity

Facial expression is not visible

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Akansha-uC, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Akansha-uC

Akansha-uC

Hello there,

I have added 3 basic expressions (smiley, angry and sad) to a 3D character along with some lip-sync.
    The lip-sync and other animations like head movement are working properly but the facial expressions are not visible at all.
    I don't know where I am missing things. Need help to fix this.

PS: I am using Autodesk character creator to generate the character along with facial bone setup and for facial and body animation, I have used iClone7 and 3DXchange.

Thanks

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Unfortunately without more info we can't help. I am unfamiliar with the combination of software you are using. Is any of those a dedicated 3D application like 3D Max, Maya or Blender? I ask because - a simple test to perform - to eliminate the error existing in the content creation tools - is to import the original exported fbx file into any 3D package to test to confirm all the animations and 'expressions' are working before importing the fbx into Unity.

Pretending this test was already performed and the outcome of the imported fbx file was without error, with no missing data, the next information we need is to know how are the expressions setup. Since you did not mention blend shapes I'm going to assume they are set up with the facial bones you mentioned.

Next question - are you set up in Unity as a humanoid rig or generic?
    If humanoid - switch to generic. Does that solve? If generic - switch to humanoid (if you know how to work with the humanoid system). Does that solve when the rig is set up properly as humanoid?

Next question - does the facial rig match the humanoid face bone structure exactly?
    If no - you will have to create a avatar mask to mask out the extra bones and create a additive animation layer that controls the extra bones. Or - that might be odd only excluding the extra bones from the humanoid rig, you might consider excluding the entire head rig, minus the neck and main head bone that controls movement. Then all the face bones would be included in the mask and it would be easier to control.

Also check to make sure the animations and rig are all using the same avatar set up.

Personally - if the rig did not match the humanoid rig, I would opt for generic rig set up instead.

3. Akansha-uC

Akansha-uC

iClone is a real-time 3D animation and rendering software developed by Reallusion. And with 3DXchange Pipeline, you can import and export all types of 3D assets, including static objects, animated props, skin-bone rigged characters, and motion files. You can also repurpose them with output options tailored for Unity, Unreal, Maya, Blender etc.
    So, basically, I have created the animations and expressions in iClone and have used 3DXchange to export them as FBX format for Unity3d.

I have created the smiley expression from 1 to 100 frame, then from 101-200 frame, I have created the expression for anger and from 201-300 frame I have created sad expression (in iClone)-
    upload_2018-1-19_9-33-55.png
    And added all animations and expressions in a single FBX file-
    upload_2018-1-19_9-29-8.png
    But in Unity3d, it is like this throughout the clip-
    upload_2018-1-19_9-35-53.png

You can take a look how the animations are exported to Unity from 3DXchange here:

Yes, the outcome of the imported FBX file was without error, with no missing data. The expressions setup are made through facial bones by Autodesk character generator.

In Unity, I have set the character as humanoid. I have also tried generic as well but the result was too bad.

Bone setup in 3DXchange-
    upload_2018-1-19_9-28-27.png

Humanoid rig setup in Unity3d-
    upload_2018-1-19_9-28-18.png
    But I cannot see options for eyebrows and other bones for eye and cheeks here.

I'll try the solution that you have provided in the end.
    Thank you @theANMATOR2b for the help!

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

5. Akansha-uC

Akansha-uC

I have tried Masking, but the animations are not accurate, for eg., the jaw, instead of moving up and down it is moving left and right and same goes for eyebrows etc.

6. matasoy

matasoy

Time pased but,
    Using Unity, you can use Umotion extension. There is a Pro version also.
    You can show hidden bones with it and create animations them to further useage with umotion.

"In your humanoid UMotion project, witch into Config Mode and select the additional bone(s). Under the "Properties" tab, set "Visibility" to "Show". This is going to show and include the bone(s) in your animations." https://support.soxware.com/en/comm...clude-additional-bones-to-humanoid-animations