Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for new unity versions

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Deleted User, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope this is the right place to ask this: I have asked the unity development team about this by sending service request to them. They recommended asking it here. Is there any chance where the unity hub, editor and android installer can be integrated into 1 service. This is to make it easier to install all at once. The unity website doesn't say you need all 3 at once, leaving a beginner puzzled why unity doesn't work.

2. xVergilx

xVergilx

Unity Hub asks what kind of modules do you want, including android support.

So it should work? Or do you mean like Java SDK / NDK?
    Oracle's SDK is behind a paywall / license, free one cannot be redistributed from their installer due to licensing (my speculations).

3. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

There is an option to download SDK through Unity Hub, not sure if it is only available after Editor fails to detect any SDK upon build. As expected failed to install it for me, but that's irrelevant.

The easiest downloading was on 2017 LTS version, where there was a download button on external tools preferences for the SDK, NDK and JDK... so easy... on the previous version though (5.6?!) it would download wrong versions of the android tools and thereof fail to install SDK.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

As for Unity Hub and the Editor becoming a single installer, that misses the point of Unity Hub. Typically as a project develops you eventually freeze its Unity version. Anyone with a sizable number of projects under their belt will have several versions of Unity installed at the same time, which they switch between depending on which project they need to work on. The original point of Unity Hub was an application for managing this, as previously you'd manually install different Unity versions in different directories and have to choose the correct shortcut to launch the correct version for your project. So the whole point of Unity Hub is that it is independent of the Unity Editor.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not interested in starting an online argument or debate. Are any of you in the unity development team or not? If not, i don't want to waste time pushing a point that won't be discussed by the right team.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you need to have your thread read by the development team responsible for Unity Hub then you need to post in the section for it. Most of Unity's developers have one or two sections that they're active in and it's almost never General Discussion.

https://forum.unity.com/forums/unity-hub.142/

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This is a community support/discussion site. While staff does reply from time to time, it is not guaranteed, this is not a company support channel.

You can offer your suggestions, but that one is highly unlikely. The elements are separate for a reason. Not everyone wants it needs android. If you need it, you select it.

8. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @JulianHSC,

The Hub is the starting point for downloading the Unity editor and modules. Download the Hub first. Then download the editor of your choosing and select "Android Build Support" along with all modules under it. We actually offer to download the SDK, NDK _and_ openJDK. All you have to do is download the Hub and click on a few neat checkboxes. Let us know if there's anything else.

Cheers,

Vita- likes this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes, I'm already know about the "Android Build Support" but i noticed that whilst it's available for all unity versions, the NDK is not installed together. I've used 2019.1.8 and 9 and it gave the same error: ndk is not available. So my questions remains the same: why not put all java together with unity so that it can be downloaded together? Do you understand my question? No point inserting android when sdk installed and ndk not installed.

10. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

The NDK as a module isn't available for all Unity versions. But when it is you should be able to install everything pretty seamlessly. I don't think we'll do "Android Bundle" installers anytime soon. I'll relay the suggestion to the team but I can't make any promises.

Best,

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes I look forward to this. You can look at other alternative opinions : if we download, we need everything to get the .apk to be installed, so leaving out items like the ndk won't be something useful. I look forward to a complete "bundle" if this is some improvement you guys can do.

john_goren and AbrahamDUnity like this.