Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Error to find Objects in Unity using an array

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by 3dartmike, Sep 30, 2022.

1. 3dartmike

3dartmike

I am new to Unity programming.
    I'm trying to make a for loop collect 100 images in the void Start. But the script doesn't work.
    The images are imported as sprites and have a tag called "puntosVerdes" I also added a script called the same "puntosVerdes". But I can't find them even with the search by Tags or by "FindObjectOfType". Could someone give me a hand, thank you very much.

Code (CSharp):
    2. public GameObject[] imagenesPuntosVerdes;
    3. public GameObject imagenContenedor;
    4. int cantidadImagenesSecuencia;
    5. private const string Tag = "puntosVerdes";
    7. void Start()
    8.     {
    9.         cantidadImagenesSecuencia = 100;
    10.         imagenesPuntosVerdes = new GameObject[cantidadImagenesSecuencia];
    11.         for (int i = 0; i < cantidadImagenesSecuencia; i++)
    12.         {
    13.             Debug.Log("Cantidad puntos verdes");
    14.          //el bucle funciona, pero no me encuentra las imagenes.
    15.          imagenesPuntosVerdes[i] = FindObjectOfType<puntosVerdes>().gameObject;  
    17.         }
    18.     }

2. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

FindObjectOfType will return the first object found, pretty much the same one every time. You want FindObjectsOfType, the plural version.

It's also pretty slow, I personally would rather just have the scripts add themselves to a List.

3. 3dartmike

3dartmike

Hello RadRedPanda and thank you very much for answering, your solution creates another problem for me that I will now try to solve. I have tried many ways. I would like to know the solution you are talking about. Thanks a lot! Untitled-1.jpg

4. RadRedPanda

RadRedPanda

The documentation says it returns a List of whatever you're trying to get. Just iterate over the List.