Search Unity

Epic Toon FX

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Archanor, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Josh1billion

Josh1billion

The pack looks great and I'm strongly considering buying it. But does everything included work for 2D games out-of-the-box, or are some of the effects 3D-only? I see some of the prefabs are in a "Prefabs" folder and some in a "Prefabs 2D" folder, so I wonder if the former aren't usable in a 2D game without some effort.

2. Archanor

Archanor

Hey, the effects should work fine for both. Some of the effects were practically invisible in some 2D sidescroller games, those were redesigned to look better from that angle. Some of them also use 2D collision for their effects, such as rain impacts or sparks bouncing off walls.

Josh1billion likes this.
  3. Josh1billion

Josh1billion

Thanks for the reply! Just made the purchase.

4. lucianosimo

lucianosimo

Hi, first of all great pack. This is a pre-buy question. Does it have money effects (burst, rain or something similar)? Because it is listed on the Unity Store description but I couldn't find it on the videos/screenshots/demo.
    Thanks a lot

5. Archanor

Archanor

Yes! A quick look here: https://twitter.com/Archanor/status/1016366022511747072

In the WebGL demo you can find them from effect 220 and forth. They come as coin and dollarbill effects. Both of them come in different emitter types: Explosion, directional explosion, fountain, rain.

6. Archanor

Archanor

New update coming soon!

epic toon fx collage7.png

Check out the GIF gallery here

Version 1.6 (Unity 5.3.4)

Another update with all new effects! Featuring 23 new effects as well as two updated 3x3 animated spritesheets. These are used for some blood and liquid effects.

23 new effects ( 74 new prefabs )

- Added Liquid Missile FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Liquid Explosion FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Liquid Muzzleflash FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Shadow Missile FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Shadow Explosion FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Shadow Muzzle FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Gas Explosion FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Flowing Blood (3 prefabs)
    - Added Spiky Blood Explosion (3 prefabs)
    - Added Round Blood Explosion (3 prefabs)
    - Added Animated Blood Splat (3 prefabs)
    - Added Directional Blood Splat (3 prefabs)
    - Added Soft Portal (5 prefabs)
    - Added Sparkle Solo (4 prefabs)
    - Added Basic Zone-wall FX (6 prefabs)
    - Added Torch Intense FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Spiky Fire FX (5 prefabs)
    - Added Fire Trail FX (3 prefabs)
    - Added Lightning Nova FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Fire Nova FX (4 prefabs)
    - Added Frost Nova FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Soap Bubble FX (2 prefabs)
    - Added Rising Bubble FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Green Spin Portal FX (1 prefab)
    - Added Typing Message FX (1 prefab)
    - Updated typing message effect
    - Updated magic shield effect
    - Updated some melee effects
    - Updated nuke explosion effects
    - Updated boiling liquid effects
    - Updated liquid 'splat' spritesheets
    - Updated missile scripts
    - New bubble & portal textures
    - New sound fx
    - Optimized some effects with high particle counts

7. cleversons_unity

cleversons_unity

Hi!

First of all, it's a great asset. I've already purchased it.
    I would like to know if converting the effects to ECS is something you have in your plans. As performance is always a concern, specially on mobile, it would be a huge update.

8. Archanor

Archanor

@cleversons_unity Thank you!

I know of the advantages with ECS, but I'm not sure how big a task it would be upgrading nearly 700 prefabs with this. I'll look into it.

9. Pixelnovo

Pixelnovo

Is this asset compatible with unity 2019?

10. Archanor

Archanor

@Pixelnovo I've not personally tested it in 2019, but I think it should work fine with the Standard pipeline. LWRP/HDRP support is planned, but I can't say when that'll happen.

11. muhons

muhons

Is this asset compatible with unity 2018 or 2019?
    Recent supported unity version ?

12. Archanor

Archanor

I haven't tested every single effect, but looks like most of it is running fine in 2018.3. However, there is no LWRP/HDRP version of the asset yet.

13. NasesUyno

NasesUyno

@Archanor Hello, I couldn't find a topic for Polygon Arsenal, so I am posting it here.

I recently bought Polygon Arsenal.
    The particles are just amazing! I am having a little issue though.

Most of the shaders are looking pink color and it says Hidden/InternalErrorShader in inspector.
    I have added standard shaders to project setting. Here are the images for error that I am having.

Screenshot_1.png Screenshot_2.png

Hope you could help me with the issue, I really want to use your assets because they are just amazing.

Edit: I am using Unity 2018.3.14f1

14. Archanor

Archanor

@NasesUyno Hey, I have not seen this problem in a Standard project before.

Couple of things to check:

1. Do the effects look fine in Scene/Game view?
    2. Are you sure you're not in a LWRP or HDRP project?
    3. What version are you in?

Note that the asset only currently supports Standard and LWRP. I'm looking into HDRP support soon.

Feel free to respond on my support e-mail archanor.work@gmail.com

15. NasesUyno

NasesUyno

@Archanor Thank you very much for your fast answer.
    1- The effects look pink in the scene / game view
    Screenshot_3.png
    2- I am not sure how to check that but in graphics scriptable render pipe settings it says None (Render Pipeline Asset) if that is what you mean
    Screenshot_4.png
    3- I am in Unity version 2018.3.14f1

I wanted to post here so maybe if there are anyone else have same problem they might be able to find their answer if you want we can continue on e-mail though

16. Archanor

Archanor

@NasesUyno Pink textures have been a common problem when someone imports the asset in their LWRP project, but I'm not sure why it would happen in a Standard project.

I imported the asset in a new 2018.3 project and it looks normal to me.

Have you tried restarting your editor? If you haven't edited the effects much, perhaps even try re-importing the asset from the store.

17. NasesUyno

NasesUyno

@Archanor Re-importing did the trick!

I think I have also clicked on LWRP Upgrade that you have included in project folder so that kinda messed up the assets.

Thank you for the help <3.

Archanor likes this.
  18. Archanor

Archanor

19. Frnak9

Frnak9

I've just bought the package - it looks really nice. However, I'm failing to loop the "DustDirtyPoof" effect. Is there an easy way to keep the effect visible in a loop? I'm really new to particles and unity in general so sorry if this is a stupid question. I enabled "Looping" in the Particle System, but it doesn't seem to loop the actual effect, even though I can see the particles appearing again (no "texture")

20. Archanor

Archanor

@Frnak9 There's a timer at the very top, above Loop. Try setting that to 0.1 or so.

Alternatively go to Emission and change it to Emit over time. Right now it emits 40 or so particles in one burst. You can set that to 0.

I'm not at my pc right now, but let me know if this worked for you!

21. Frnak9

Frnak9

Sorry - I'm so stupid - I didn't see there is a particle system within the outer one that actually handles the "cloud" / "dust" texture. I had to set it to loop aswell and it works like a charm now. Thanks a lot for the great asset!

Archanor likes this.
  22. jason_yak

jason_yak

Adding to requests for LWRP. We absolutely love your particle effect, but we're all in on LWRP now. Looking forward to it, thanks =)

skydestinies and Archanor like this.
  23. neshius108

neshius108

Awesome work @Archanor!

I was wondering, would it be possible to get some effect for various types of wind blowing? It feels like the wind is missing in the environmental part :D

Archanor and halley like this.
  24. halley

halley

I have this pack and am also thinking of what I can do to expand on it for wind. There is a blowing leaves prefab. Adding cherry blossom and litter/paper sprites would help. Adjusting the movement so it was more along the ground, or more gently fluttering down, would help too. Some kind of swirly toon effect like the wind in Capcom Ookami would be great.

Archanor likes this.
  25. Archanor

Archanor

@neshius108 Good idea. Are you thinking something like dust clouds as wind?

@halley I could probably do something like leaves falling and paper blowing around. Do you have a video link for the effect from Okami?

26. halley

halley

@Archanor, this is where the player learns the wind technique, so several variations shown. One layer is the visible wind swirl, another layer has leaves or debris or dust to help sell the effect.

27. neshius108

neshius108

@Archanor: for the moment I have thought of these types:

- Light wind
    - Strong wind
    - Light breeze with leaves

They would include different types of wind swirls, like:

- Strong storm
    - Stylized swirls:

-
    -
    -
    -

Something like this :D

28. skydestinies

skydestinies

Hello, I'd really like to purchase this asset, but I'm getting confused about whether LWRP is supported?

I see a post that says "Note that the asset only currently supports Standard and LWRP." which to me implies it is supported, but then subsequent posts which say it isn't?

I know how to convert existing materials to using a LWRP material instead. If I buy the asset, is it as simple as converting existing materials to using some LWRP equivalent?

29. Archanor

Archanor

@skydestinies Sorry for the confusion. It's currently only available in Standard, but it is possible to convert/upgrade the materials to LWRP as you mentioned.

After that process you might see pink or broken materials for effects that uses custom shaders, but this asset pack only uses standard Unity shaders.

skydestinies likes this.
  30. mick129

mick129

Hello,
    Excellent asset, but is it me or the "sword / slash" is missing? I have reimport the asset and see them, but in the project they dont appear.
    Also the Webplayer Demo lead to a 404 error.
    upload_2019-7-7_12-49-15.png

31. Archanor

Archanor

@mick129 Thanks! You should be able to find the slash effect in 'Prefabs/Combat/Sword/SwordSlash'.

Thanks for the heads up on the webplayer demo. Note that Webplayer might not run on newer browsers, so you may as well use the WebGL demo if you need to run it.

32. vizgl

vizgl

Just bought this asset and didn't found mobile friendly textures and materials.
    Textures with simple shapes have 512x512 size it's not acceptable for mobile games.

P.S. don't want to crash rating on the asset store page, waiting for update

33. mick129

mick129

Thank you Archanor,
    Indeed I have found those prefabs but what I mean is the I don't see anything when I place them in my scene, I restart those animation and still no result.
    It happen for all the 4 prefabs.

34. Archanor

Archanor

@vizgl Hey, are you having performance issues with any effects? Overall the textures might have an above average resolution for mobile, but I'd like to think the file sizes aren't that huge (Isn't that what matters in the end with mobile games?).

@mick129 Do any of the other effects work? It might sound redundant, but can you send a full screenshot with the slash effect in your scene? If your scene/project set up for 2D games, try rotating the effect and playing it again. (Feel free to e-mail the screenshot archanor.work@gmail.com )

35. halley

halley

vizgl, for any texture you feel is too large for your particular project, just adjust the "Maximum Size" import option on that image asset. It's better for a package to include large images that can be shrunk, than to include only super-low-resolution 2010-era mobile standard images. And maybe your next project will be for a stronger platform which can use those extra pixels to make smoother shapes.

neshius108, vizgl and Archanor like this.
  36. vizgl

vizgl

Didn't notice this feature. Thanks.

The problem is solved as halley says. Problem was not in the texture file size but in gpu memory consumption.

Archanor likes this.
  37. neshius108

neshius108

@Archanor : heya! Just for info, any update on the wind/dust effects? :)

38. Archanor

Archanor

No updates yet, unfortunately. In between june and now I was sick for about a month, followed by working on a much needed update for Magic Arsenal.

Since I've been working in 5.3.4 it's not been possible to use particle systems with trails yet, but I would be able to make the 'wind line' effect once I get to work in a more modern version of Unity (probably 2017.4). I'll also be upgrading the legacy particle shaders to the newer particle shaders.

I'm also wondering if I should make a second volume of this pack or keep it all in one asset.

Before I start any updates I'm going to publish one or two smaller assets so I can get used to working with the new Standard Particle Shader.

39. neshius108

neshius108

@Archanor glad that you are healthy again :)

Updating the particle effects to 2017+ sounds like an awesome idea!
    I guess if it is still related to Toon effects, updating them and keeping them in this current asset would make most sense (other assets do that too).

Archanor likes this.
  40. restush96

restush96

Hi, I'm trying to implement input mouse on click to spawn prefab in the demo but it always comes errors. Do you have a simple code to spawn a prefab?

Pardon me if it is not convenient to ask here. I don't know your email ...

41. Archanor

Archanor

42. restush96

restush96

43. Thanitsak

Thanitsak

@Archanor Is it possible for me to use these fx and make its style to voxel instead? Because my game will be in voxel arts so I wonder if I could use yours and change to voxel style? Thanks in advance!

44. restush96

restush96

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class TestClickEffect : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     public GameObject objectToinstantiate;
    9.       void Update()
    10.     {
    11.         if (Input.GetButtonDown("Fire1"))
    12.         {
    13.             Vector2 worldPosition = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(Input.mousePosition);
    14.             Instantiate(objectToinstantiate, worldPosition, Quaternion.identity);
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }
    Okay, I use this code as a 2D platform. The mouse click effect is working!

Archanor likes this.
  45. neshius108

neshius108

@Archanor heya man! Sorry to bother but got any updates on the new effects? :)

46. JuanJSAR

JuanJSAR

Hi, I am having two problems with the asset.
    Create a new project in LWRP and update the materials.
    But everything is very dark
    Captura1.PNG

And the effects look very dark compared to the sample video.
    Sin título2.png
    How could I solve this problem?
    Do you have any “unitypackage” where you have the materials updated to the “LWRP”

Thank you for your attention.

47. Archanor

Archanor

@restush96 I'm glad you found a workaround :)

@neshius108 Again, sorry for the long delay. It looks like the Asset Store won't allow me to upload assets in 5.3.4 any longer, so I'm finally starting to move the minimum supported versions (for newer updates) of my assets to 2017.4 LTS. This also lets me use some newer functions, I'll do my best then to include some wind effect variations.

@JuanJSAR There is no LWRP support just yet, but I will add that in the next patch. I'm not sure why it's so much darker in LWRP, but I think it's either too many lights in the scene, or the light Intensity is too low.

48. Archanor

Archanor

I'm not sure if this possible. At best you could redraw the graphics, but these effects are mostly billboards.

I do have a VFX pack that is designed to fit in better with voxel games though: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/voxel-arsenal-136540

You could also check out Pixel Arsenal.

Thanitsak likes this.
  49. JuanJSAR

JuanJSAR

@Archanor
    After a while of research I found how to port the Shaders to "LWRP in 2018" and "UniversalRP in 2019"
    I share a video of how to convert them.

In Unity 2018

In Unity 2019

Archanor likes this.
  50. Archanor

Archanor

@JuanJSAR Thanks, that's mighty helpful :)

Do you mind sharing a link to the forum post you have on the right side in the first video too?

Edit: Found it here

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019