Search Unity

Enjoy Online Squad Games -- Get me up to speed?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Student4Life, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Student4Life

Student4Life

Hi Everyone,
    I've spent a while trying to learn the Unreal Engine, but thought it would be fun to learn some Unity as well. I've heard the Unity community is great, and learning game dev is hard so here goes nothing!

I'm looking for suggestions about the fastest / easiest way to get networking going for a generalist, someone who will likely not be able to spend the time to learn engines inside out.

I see a number of presets on the asset store for networked projects, but would love some suggestions on keywords I should be searching or things to know.

I'm open to anything from small servers with a few people to as big as is feasible. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. g_a_p

g_a_p

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you already know you're unable to put in enough time to learn Unity, I just want to caution that you're likely to get frustrated implementing networking in Unity. I'd suggest sticking to single player or local split screen or hot seat.

This is because successfully building a networked game in Unity requires moderate to advanced familiarity with Unity in general.

g_a_p likes this.
  4. Student4Life

Student4Life

Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for the replies!
    For some reason I'm not getting Unity notifications on threads and missed this.

Appreciate the link g_a_p and Joe-Censored, your warning is heard and seen :)
    I ask about the simplest solution to see if I have any chance at it. As the saying goes, 'if you have to ask'.... haha so likely I won't have the skills to do it. But it's a dream!

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. g_a_p

g_a_p

I guess everybody here started with a dream, so stick to it. But be prepared to study hard and experiment a lot.

Student4Life and Joe-Censored like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Hit the "Watch Thread" link in the top right.

Not having skills isn't actually a problem if you're interested in learning the skills. It doesn't matter what kind of game you make, you're undoubtedly going to run into situations where you have no idea what to do and need to learn new skills to progress. Your willingness to learn those skills as needed is what will make the difference.

One problem with networking, is no matter how easy the network solution is designed, there is no simple drop in networking package which just handles it all for you. Everything in your game will need to end up designed around networking, and even simple functionality usually ends up pretty complex.

Student4Life likes this.
  7. Student4Life

Student4Life

Appreciate the advice guys. Thread watched!

I'm definitely willing to learn the skills -- not the person who wants to jump in and make a crazy scope game right away. I imagine it will take me years to get even mediocre progress.
    I hear you about networking - super complicated huh?

Have either of you hear of this 'SpatialOS' solution?
    https://improbable.io/spatialos

8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

yes the only game released i know had to close because it was not financially viable, it cost like 400$ per 100 ccu per month

9. g_a_p

g_a_p

400$ per 100 ccu per month?!?!?
    I suppose we should increase the price of our SmartFoxServer Elastic license then! :-D :-D :-D

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Ouch!

11. Student4Life

Student4Life

Wow that's pretty interesting.
    Still, if those players reaaaaaaallly loved the game, I could imagine them paying $4 a month. Maybe?

Do you know what the game was that closed down?

Any other suggestions of similar 'easy'ish' networking solutions?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Individual game subscriptions are all but dead though other than a handful of popular legacy MMO titles. Maybe an enormous array of DLC and aggressive microtransaction monetization? Basically, everything people hate about modern game monetization :p
    ;)

g_a_p likes this.