Search Unity

Question Enet Library Packets Dropping with Reliable flag

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Epic-Username, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Epic-Username

Epic-Username

Hi,

Im using enet library (https://github.com/nxrighthere/ENet-CSharp) as the networking solution for a game im working on but I've encounter an issue which i'm not sure is normal behavior, a bug with the library or just a bug with my implementation.

the issue im experiencing is that when i send a packet with a reliable flag it doesn't always arrive even though the docs say it will keep being resent until the packet is delivered. I'm guessing that it might only try x amount of times before it gives up and stops sending the packet if i had to guess.

This is an issue i've been looking into for a few months now but found nothing from my research and changes to my code which makes me think that only i'm experiencing the issue and must be a bug with my own implementation but just thought i would ask here before i drive myself even more insane.

does anyone who use enet experience this as well? i'm just curious if this is normal behaviour or just a bug in my implementation and could guide me in to what to lookout for to make sure reliable packets are always delivered, Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  2. Epic-Username

Epic-Username

Good news i think i found the problem ill start testing it and get back here with the results once done.
    basically i was using Host.CheckEvents() only once every frame in the game loop so if multiple packets arrived in the same frame it would read one and ignore the rest but now i put it in an additional loop to poll all the events that arrive before continuing.