Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor becomes unresponsive and crashes

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by SubBassman, Oct 11, 2016.

1. SubBassman

SubBassman

Hi,
    I've been using betas from b1 through b7.
    The first 4 seemed fairly okay but from b5 (as far as I remember) it started to behave like this:
    As soon as I put the editor to the background and bring it back, it becomes almost completely unresponsive which means, tree views can't be manipulated whatsoever, but menus still seem to work. So if you select a menu option, it crashes. For me, the editor is completely unusable at the moment. Any idea what may cause this?
    There was a project downgrade and and re-upgrade and several reinstalls occured as well.

Thanks.

KyleOlsen likes this.
  2. SubBassman

SubBassman

There is one error message at start:
    Unknown version control plugin: Subversion

If I visit the Editor settings, the svn plugin's options are, of course, missing completely and the console starts throwing lots of error messages.
    How is this svn plugin missing?
    I'm almost sure the main issue is connected with this.

3. SubBassman

SubBassman

I uninstalled all Unity versions, rebooted the machine and reinstalled b7.
    The version control error is still there, but the program is finally working. (I was wrong about what might cause this) The main issue sometimes raises its head but at least the editor is not completely hopeless. I truly hope the final version sorts this out.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  4. SubBassman

SubBassman

Well, it's not that rare. When the editor loses and regains focus, it becomes unresponsive most of the time. Very annoying.

5. SubBassman

SubBassman

Maybe this info gives a dev a hint. If I use two monitors, one of which displays the Unity editor, the other one displays all other programs I use, including Visual Studio, then the editor's unresponsiveness issue is not occuring. Nice, eh?

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi SubBassman,
    Thanks for reporting this. Could you please file a bug report as well, and reply with the case # in this thread?

7. SubBassman

SubBassman

Done. Thanks for having a look at this post.

(Case 841059) SVN plugin missing
    (Case 841064) Editor becomes unresponsive and usually crashes
    I can offer further assistance but not the repo because it's way too big.

8. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

I also have found the editor can sometimes become unresponsive until clicking a menu button (File, Edit, Assets etc..) at which time it will actually crash. I've experienced this behavior mostly in b6 when recompiling and pressing play. It also seems to be more frequent when having the mecanim animator window open, inspecting an animator from an asset bundle.