Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

World Building EasyRoads3D v3 - the upcoming new road system

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by raoul, Feb 19, 2014.

1. raoul

raoul

Yes, that is related to the second part of my last reply on the previous page. "Front View" is an option in the custom prefab editor window itself, not the UV editor. In front view the nodes should indeed connect.

If you made changes to the model in blender then I would certainly recommend to rebuild the connection prefab from scratch.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. nbd

nbd

Thanks much for your response. I will get back to you after some more changes/experiments

3. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

thanks yes i know that.

thats what i not found the combine need test if it helps.

also can you integrate / make compatible or so that
    iTS inteligent traffic system auto generates lanes from easyroads3d ?

regards

4. raoul

raoul

Hi GamePyro,

If individual lampposts need to be destructible then combining all lampposts in one mesh seems to be inefficient, thats why I suggested to switch this option off in the side object manager.

I think that will work the other way around. V3.2 will have all relevant data available through the scripting API.

Thanks,
    Raoul

5. GamePyro-com

GamePyro-com

Yes but think the dev of iTS need make that because that only works when have the source code from iTS :( when i buy i only can get the DLL version.

Atm not good way make traffic like NFS or GTA has ?

6. raoul

raoul

That is what I meant, how can EasyRoads3D tell iTS to auto create lanes? The developer can already add support using the current scripting API, this is already done by others for AI purposes. But the lane info options in v3.2 will simplify this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

7. jouany

jouany

Hello Raoul and all members. I am new to Unity and try to learn doing a basic car game using RCC Realistic Car controler, EasyRoad3D, and Cscape city Creator.
    Motorway Enter/exit connectors are missing in current Easyroads3D version, so I try to create a motorway enter/exit bridge based on existing assets as Raoul suggested me in a mail: http://youtu.be/yDUhBZg7tQM.
    upload_2018-9-22_12-24-55.png upload_2018-9-22_12-24-55.png
    You will find the OBJ attached (I used Blender to combine the prefabs) that I have copied to folder D:\documents\Unity Projects\easyroad3D\Assets\EasyRoads3D Assets\Bridges with other Easyroads3D OBJ.
    trying to follow video, I then create the 6 roads connectors and update connection Prefab :
    upload_2018-9-22_12-30-55.png upload_2018-9-22_12-30-55.png
    The new custom prefab seems updated and appear in scene with SHIFT-Clic:
    upload_2018-9-22_12-37-3.png upload_2018-9-22_12-37-3.png
    but I see no position handle to extend motorway lane or single lane Enter/exit
    upload_2018-9-22_12-54-30.png upload_2018-9-22_12-54-30.png
    If someone could help, I am sure that this asset could be a usefull update, time to have the new Easyroads3D version that will incorporate better motorway roads connector from what I have understood.

Thanks ! Yannis

Attached Files:

8. raoul

raoul

Hello Yannis,

The .obj file imports well in the Custom Prefab Editor window. The only thing I noticed was that the pivot point is at the bottom of the bridge element. The pivot point should be at the road level of the motorway section.

In your screenshots the prefab itself is selected. In this state no connection handles are displayed. When deselecting it all connection handles and road markers handles will be visible (like in the image below). But I cannot see your connection setup so I am not sure if that will actually solve your issue.

I added the .obj to a new prefab as a child and set the pivot point to the motorway level. Then dropped it in the custom prefab editor window and added 6 connections. No materials were part of the zip so here is a screenshot without materials of the prefab in the center and 6 road sections attached.

4_x_2_exchange.jpg .

Indeed, in v3.2 motorway exits / enters will be built-in

Thanks,
    Raoul

jouany, recon0303 and hopeful like this.
  9. jouany

jouany

That's exactly what I try to obtain. I can't attach the textures that are standard from \Assets\EasyRoads3D Assets\textures\ as 25MB is above upload limit: bridge cs.psd, bridge_01_1_lane.tga, exitsign.psd, Motorway_2L_Bridge1.tga

When I import the OBJ in \Assets\EasyRoads3D Assets\, the textures comes straight as already existing in \texture\ subfolder, so you probably import in another folder, maybe that's why it's not working for me?

As I tried several way to import and never see the handle (but I can see other Easy roads custom prefabs connectors handle when using them), would you mind to record a video from scratch on how you did to obtain above result from importing the OBJ ?
    I know I miss Something but can't figure what it is… :-(

Thanks you very much for your patience with new users :)

Yannis

10. raoul

raoul

Hi Yannis,

It is appreciated to not post Pro assets on the public forum anyway :)

The two Customized Road Network videos on the Getting Started page of the manual show this process.The other assets in the beta package are used in these videos but the process is the same. The second video also shows how new road types can be created from custom prefab connections and reused on the last two added connections.

Exactly the same process was used for your .obj I only skipped the UV part because there is no material any way. The test was primarily to see if the connections actually work.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[Edit] Did you perhaps skip the last part, press "Apply" at the bottom?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  11. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm back to work on this issue. I need to figure out why i can't do intersection connections anymore.
    Has to be some simple reason.
    The red dot means it can't intersect right?
    The road and intersection is both from the easy roads hd pro package

The demo works fine as you can see in the picture below.

12. Shadowing

Shadowing

Alright I copied my scene to a new scene and started removing things from my scene to solve two huge bugs I've been having.
    • Not being able to create roads with out the move tool being selected.
    • When selecting a marker it would auto select the Terrain. Looking in the Hierarchy the terrain game object and easy roads component would both be selected as well as highlighted showing both were selected.
    So was pretty annoying issue lol.
    Only took about 10 minutes to solve it with process of elimination.

The problem happens when the Wind Zone component is the same child as the Terrain component.

I was able to fix the issue by simply moving the Wind Zone out of the Environment Parent Game Object
    I tested this 3 times to 100% make sure.

I then went back to my original scene and moved the wind zone component and now zero issues with selecting and creating new roads.

I still have the intersection issue though. Its the only issue I have left now.
    I'm so happy to of solved this. It was sooooo annoying omg.

Edit: I moved the wind zone component back inside the Environment component but this time i put it before the terrain component and the problem doesn't exist. I then moved the Wind zone component after the terrain component and the issue doesn't exist anymore.
    So idk I tested this several times with the test scene. Moving it before the terrain component must of tripped something to keep the issue from happening now no matter where the wind zone component is at.

13. raoul

raoul

Hi Shadowing,

The roads and crossings in your first image look like those in the HD Roads package. The crossing is not clearly visible, the handle display is a bit large.

Are the roads actually HD Roads road types or new road types using HD Roads materials? In that case, default built-in road types have two nodes. The HD Roads road types have 3 nodes and the crossing connections are based on 3 nodes. That would explain the red connection handles.

Otherwise if these are HD Roads road types, does this happen with all road types?

Your other post seems strange, the selection issue with wind zones involved. It is already late here, I will check tomorrow if I can recreate any of this.

Thanks,
    Raoul

14. Shadowing

Shadowing

Hey Raoul ya I created a new road type and used the HD road material. I'll check into the node thing.
    I wouldn't even try to recreate the wind zone thing. I think it was just unique editor messed up. Maybe with game object reference idk. Id just keep it as a side note :)

15. Shadowing

Shadowing

I can't find anywhere that shows connection nodes.
    I only see one dot for each connection. other than that white dot. idk what that is.

but ya the 4 way connection is from a prefab from hd roads and the road is a road type i made using a hd road material.
    So that sounds iike the issue then.
    I don't understand how I fix it though.
    how do I convert the intersection to work with the roads i create.

16. raoul

raoul

Nodes refer to the road shape. A way to make this visual is by hitting the N key with the road network selected. This toggles on/off node display for each marker and makes the road shape customizable per marker. v3.2 will have road shape editor options directly in General Settings > Road Types.

If this is indeed a newly created road type, only two nodes will be shown, one on the left and one on the right edge of the road. Do you intend to use this road type only with HD Roads connection prefabs? In that case you can set "Sub Segments" in the road type settings to 2 resulting in a third node in the center of the road. This will match the setup of the HD Roads prefabs.

Ok, thank you for letting me know about the wind zone thing. I will check anyway but indeed I cannot see how wind zone objects can interfere with road marker selection etc.

Thanks,
    Raoul

17. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks Raoul I finally got it to connect.
    I found a bug though.

If I go to the type and change the sub Segments and then hit Update instances. It will change the number of Sub Segments for any road using that road type except it doesn't actually add the Sub Segments to the road. Only the amount shown in the inspector gets changed.
    I tried this several times same results each time.

So I had to click on the individual road and change Sub Segments to 3 and then back to 2 again and now i can connect the roads. Also I can see the nodes now.

Another issue to.
    Once I connected the road I can no longer select any roads. I have to restart Unity.
    Seems that started ever since I hit N on the keyboard. Hitting N again doesn't fix it. Nodes are always shown now as well.

Edit: After loading Unity back up I was able to change the subs of two roads and connect them before it stop letting me select roads again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  18. Shadowing

Shadowing

I deleted a crossing while 4 roads are connected and now I have this issue where they appear to still be connected.
    It won't let me drag the them off the connection. If I try it starts trying to reshape/stretch/skew up the road.
    Seems impossible to fix once the road gets screwed up too. I have to restart Unity so i go back to the last save.

19. raoul

raoul

"Sub Segments" is kinda semi implemented at the moment because it currently breaks the interaction with built-in crossings. It was added / activated upon request. Changing Sub Segments could potentially break connections between roads and crossings.

I will check but this could be the reason why roads actually do not get auto updated after pressing "Update Scene Instances" in General Settings > Road Types. You could do a full road network refresh in General Settings > Scene Settings afterwards.

What exactly is the situation when roads cannot be selected? Can crossing s still be selected? Does deselect / reselect the road network fix this?

Thanks,
    Raoul

20. Shadowing

Shadowing

I managed to finally break the connection but they are still like stuck it seems. I cant simply move the road back/ shrink the road length. It tries to reshape the road instead.

21. raoul

raoul

What exactly is the situation here?

I mean, after deleting a crossing prefab, it is no longer in the scene. How can roads still be connected to the crossing?

Can you try this in the demo scene. Attach a road to the crossing, delete the crossing, the marker that was connected to the crossing can be selected and can be moved. It is not longer "connected" to any crossing.

Thanks,
    Raoul

22. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'll try it on the demo scene.

If i click the blue arrow on the transform it won't let me drag at all. If I click the bottom square axis on the transform its starts screwing up the road trying ot reshape it.

Screwed road when trying to move bottom axis

23. Shadowing

Shadowing

I deleted a 4 way crossing on the demo scene with no issues. I could move the roads back just fine.
    So idk what the heck. I don't why i have such issues with my scene.

24. Shadowing

Shadowing

Its doing something new now. Highlighting red and drawing a circle
    Also I always delete roads and crossing using the button in the inspector.

No crossings are in the scene at all

25. raoul

raoul

The node shape handles are visible in the screenshots. Can you hit the N key to disable display. Before doing this you may want to select one of the handles and in the Inspector scroll downwards to the bottom of the marker setting where Node Shape controls are displayed, please press the "Reset All" option. This will revert the shape back to the original road shape.

Thanks,
    Raoul

[Edit] In the last screenshot the road shape seems correct so "Reset All" is not required.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  26. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ahh ok I selected the road and hit N an problem fixed. what a relief lol. I guess the toggle off does work.
    Swear it didn't toggle off earlier.
    Thanks a bunch man.

27. raoul

raoul

So all is good now, or still issues with roads shapes and connecting / disconnecting to crossings :)

The N key should realy only be used to change the road shape, for, for example, bumpy dirt tracks. I only mentioned it so you can clearly see the two node setup for default roads and the 3 node setup for the HD Roads "road types".

Thanks,
    Raoul

28. Shadowing

Shadowing

everything is all good. Zero issues now on anything.
    Ya I understand the node thing is still alpha mode atm. no worries.
    Awesome support man. thanks.

hopeful and raoul like this.
  29. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Hello @raoul, I've purchased and am in the process of learning Easy Roads for a client. Very powerful asset!

One question that's popped up and that I can't find an answer for in forums, docs or videos (or just digging around the plugin): Is it possible to change the width of a road on a point-by-point basis? I see for instance I can rotate an individual point but switching to scale causes to gizmo to disappear. And of course changing the road width value changes the width of the road along its entire length.

The client suggested I could append together multiple road segments of different widths, but I suspect it wouldn't be a smooth enough transition - we're trying to make a mountain road that very gradually widens around some curves and narrows slightly along some steeper slopes.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

30. Shadowing

Shadowing

Is it possible to connect two roads together that are the same type? I tried holding down shift and selecting the other road

31. wolfen231

wolfen231

Id search but I think it would take forever. Can I use Easy Roads on a mesh terrain? Just need it to conform to the mesh rather than terrain conforming to it.

32. Shadowing

Shadowing

When I change the number of sub segments on this one long curvy road Unity crashes some times my entire computer. Happen 6 times in a row. Can never change the value. I tried changing from 2 to 3 and from 2 to 1.
    I need it on 2 though but like I said on a early post it says 2 cause I changed the value on the type but it bugs out and doesn't really change the nodes on the road.

Edit: I tried it on another really long road. Seems to effect really long roads. This time though a error window popped up saying I was out of memory. I have 32gb of 2400mhz memory in this machine.

When I created a new road just now it was created with the right number of nodes. So its just the current roads that I can't update the nodes on that are really long. One of my roads are super complex. Redoing it would take a ton of time.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  33. raoul

raoul

Hi Shadowing,

How long is the road and what are the resolution settings?

Can you duplicate the scene (just to be sure to have a backup) and try inserting an I Connector (button near the bottom of the marker section or ) to split a single road in multiple smaller roads?

Thanks,
    Raoul

34. raoul

raoul

Hi wolfen231,

Yes, that is possible.

General Settings > Scene Settings > Mesh Terrain

You can drop your mesh terrain object in this slot.

The results depend on the smoothness of the mesh. It is possible to set the road to snap to the terrain through the scripting API: ERRoad.SnapToTerrain(bool flag)

Thanks,
    Raoul

35. raoul

raoul

That can be done selecting both markers like in your image. This will show a button "Join Selected Roads" in the Inspector if the road types indeed match. Or you can press Shift + J. This combination works as a hotkey to join two roads when first / last markers are selected, or split a road at the selected marker when only one marker is selected.

Thanks,
    Raoul

36. wolfen231

wolfen231

Oh that's fantastic news. Thanks! I've had this thing for years... but only actually plan to start using it lately HAHA

raoul likes this.
  37. raoul

raoul

Hi SpencerPDX,

That is possible and actually partially brought up in the above conversation with shadowing.

The N key toggles on / off road shape handles for the selected marker. White sphere handles will be displayed at each node. Position handles will be displayed after selecting a node. The Inspector will also display road shape specific controls near the bottom of the marker section after a node is selected

shapeNodes.jpg

You probably want to toggle off roadshape handle display after you are finished with shaping the road otherwise this can interfere with the standard marker behaviour, certainly when shape nodes are positioned exactly at the center, at the marker position.

Thanks,
    Raoul

SpencerPDX likes this.
  38. Shadowing

Shadowing

Alright im slowly doing road splits so I can change the sub segments.
    Its way to sensitive though. A road has to be pretty short for it not to crash Unity. This really needs to get improved in the next version.

Do you think increasing the editor GI cache will fix this?

39. jouany

jouany

It finally work. First I didn't see the Apply button in windowed Unity view. This has to be detached and set fullscreen again. Also it appears that with multîple try and delete Easyroad3D is very sensitive. On the same scene I needed to change OBJ name when import it again or it would not create the custom prefab. I didn't have it working using an asset holder to change the road level.
    Well, when using a correct new OBJ in new scene I obtained straight this:
    upload_2018-9-25_20-19-50.png

Road type and mapping are proposed correctly if I select just the correct vertex.
    upload_2018-9-25_20-22-45.png

I am nearly to the goal but what did I miss this time ???

Thank again for your help.

Yannis

40. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Fantastic @raoul, thanks so much for the help!

raoul likes this.
  41. raoul

raoul

Can you give more info about your roads like asked in my previous post? What is the road length and resolution?

I am asking this to see if this can be recreated, errors like this have not been reported before.

Have you tried to change the resolution first so the road is more low poly? Or is more involved here, like multiple complex side objects?

Thanks,
    Raoul

42. Shadowing

Shadowing

Heres the road details on the last one that crashed changing from 1 sub segment to 2 sub segmets

Total Lenght 800.23m, 762 verts, 760 tris
    Resolution 2

43. raoul

raoul

Hi Yannis,

You can drop the generated custom prefab in /Assets/EasyRoads3D/Resources/custom prefabs/ on the stage and continue with the setup.

It is hard to tell from a screenshot what is wrong. Does the shape look correct in "Front View" in the custom prefab editor window?

Can you create a unity package of the prefab and send it to me through a PM or by email? If you want I can also send you the prefab I created from your .obj model so you can compare.

Thanks,
    Raoul

44. raoul

raoul

800.23m is not too long. I just quickly created a 2.500m road and changed sub segments to 2. It updates instantly without issues. I realize that doesn't really help but it also means that it is hard from my end to tell what is wrong on your end. Are complex side objects involved, is that slowing down the process?

But on that same 2.500m road I added a concrete barrier, lampposts and guard rails over the full road length. Then inserted an I Connector (changing sub segments doesn't really make a difference in this setup). This too is handled correctly, two road objects with all 3 side objects on both road sections.

Since you are using the HD Roads package prefabs, is there a specific reason why you want to use your own road types and not the HD Road road types? These road types are ready to use with these prefabs.

Thanks,
    Raoul

hopeful likes this.
  45. Shadowing

Shadowing

zero side road objects. Road width is set to 8.

Using my own road types is just how I started using easy roads lol.
    I just got these two roads to fix. Think i'll continue just making tons of splits to get this fixed.
    When I create a new road it gives the road the right amount of sub segments.

46. raoul

raoul

Have you tried selecting another road type from the road type dropdown for the selected road and then back to the previous road type? Or select an HD Roads road type from the dropdown?

Thanks,
    Raoul

47. Shadowing

Shadowing

Actually I don't have any of the hd road types loaded into the road types.
    I'm also crashing when deleting road points as well sadly.
    I have such a fast computer too idk wtf.

You mean like change the road type of a road and then change it back?

48. Shadowing

Shadowing

Whats odd is when I delete a road point. It shows in the editor it was deleted instantly and it reshapes the road but then my editor is still unresponsive even though its showing it already did its task of removing it.
    Idk if thats just more operations running after its deleted or what.

49. raoul

raoul

Just as a test, can you open the main demo scene, create a 1 km road, change sub segments. Do you get the same behaviour? Also for deleting a marker mentioned in your last post. Or

Yes, change the road type and change it back, this will trigger the road shape update with 2 sub segments.

For the HD Road types, please check the video at 0.15. Or simply open the HD Roads demo scene, select the road network and deselect it. This will update the project log file with the new HD Roads road types. Then reopen your scene and in General Settings > Road Types, press "Add Project Road Types". This should list the new road types.

Thanks,
    Raoul

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  50. Shadowing

Shadowing

When I change the road type of a road I get these two errors. maybe this is related to the crashes when I try removing or changing sub segments. I don't understand that first error. As shown in my picture below there are only two markers.
    Maybe that bug I had in the past caused it to create invisible markers. Remember i told you i was creating road objects but there was no visible road. Maybe it kept on doing that during the course of me making a road.

Code (csharp):
    2. road error: Road to Fortress_2_2 please check the distances between markers, it seems two markers are located at the same position
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad:OQQOQCQQQD(List`1, Single, Boolean, List`1&, List`1&, Boolean, List`1&)
    5. EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad:OCCCCCCDCC(Boolean, Boolean)
    6. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnInspectorGUI()
    7. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)
    Code (csharp):
    2. EasyRoads3Dv3 warning: only 1 spline point was extracted, please check the marker positions against the road resolution value: Road to Fortress_2_2
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    4. EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad:OQQOQCQQQD(List`1, Single, Boolean, List`1&, List`1&, Boolean, List`1&)
    5. EasyRoads3Dv3.ERModularRoad:OCCCCCCDCC(Boolean, Boolean)
    6. EasyRoads3Dv3Editor.OCCODCQDCC:OnInspectorGUI()
    7. UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)
    This is what this road looks like
    [/code]