Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone uses a 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator with Unity3D?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeepShader, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DeepShader

DeepShader

Hey there,
    does anyone uses a 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator with Unity3D? Does it work?
    Is it useful for you?

Thank you!

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

This input device is not supported.

3. DeepShader

DeepShader

It is not supported or it doesn't work? This are two different things ;)

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not supported

Mouse and Keyboard are supported as input devices for the editor

5. DeepShader

DeepShader

So "not supported" means that you didn't test it?

A lot of hardware works fine even it is not supported

6. 001visualizer

001visualizer

Supporting the 3D Space Navigator from Connexion would be a great thing, not only for working within the editor, but as input device for the navigation in a game, like a joystick does. Think you handle the whole navigation with only one button!!!

How oldfashioned to navigate with the left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse...

Unfortunately there is no interest at all from Unity to support the 3D Space Navigator in the near future! And anyone here asking why!

But there is a way to use the 3D Space Navigator on Unity3D games executable on Windows.

Look at this:
    http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336&highlight=rbc9

That driver emulate all actions from the 3D Space Navigator to any wanted keys or mouse events! But that works only with games made with Unity3D 2.4. In the version 2.5 Unity have change sometihing, so the RBC9 driver does not work well anymore. (It looks like the Unity guys hate that 3D mouse on a way...)

:evil:

7. DeepShader

DeepShader

So I cann't use the Navigator nativ for the Unity-Editor?

8. Whimsical

Whimsical

I bet you can write a plug in for native support without any driver faking any buttons or stuff like that.
    I thought about incorporating support for this device into my upcoming project, but that will take a few months until it gets to a point where the plug in would be made.
    So please don't wait for me ;)

9. DeepShader

DeepShader

Maybe this is a missunderstanding - I just want to know if I can use the Navigator in the Unity3D-Editor. It's not important for me, if it's supported by UnityCorp. I just need to know if it works ;)

So can anyone who have a Navigator tell me if it works in the editor?

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

Not supported means its not supported, I'm kind of failing to see where there is any space for interpretation in a simple statement like that.

You can not use it with Unity in any way.
    For the client you potentially could add it through a plugin. For the editor, you can't do anything.
    When I remember right, there is a uservoice entry on that for licensees to vote on

11. Jessy

Jessy

12. DeepShader

DeepShader

Ah thank you - my fault ;) My bad english = mistakes ;)

Thanks to all for helping me ^^

I think there will no support by Unity in feature, right?

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

If enough users vote for it on the uservoice system it will potentially happen.

But its definitely no important thing as the amount of users even liking it as an input device is restricted today where people are used to "shooter alike 3d navigations" etc.

14. asterix

asterix

It is in the suggestion box, you can had your vote, check the suggestion forum. http://feedback.unity3d.com/pages/15792-unity

By the way, 3D connexion give away the code to create one. I have no c++ or what ever knowledge the SDK use to creat it.

The SDK can be donloaded here and have a support forum, they want their mouse to be on every application, they want to help.

THe SDK CAN BE FOUND HERE:
    http://www.3dconnexion.com/support/sdk.php

I love my 3DConnexion, I which too it work with Unity for level.

15. Jessy

Jessy

That's exactly how I use it. Two of the axes are the same thing as an analog stick for movement. Two more are for analog stick-style looking, The 3rd set is what you typically can not do in an FPS, which is to fly up and down, and rotate around your own Z-axis.

The only reason any 3D software company can get away with not supporting this device is that not enough people have gotten their hands on them. There is no parallel to this control with mouse + modifier keys. Theoretically, having three mice would be better than having a SpaceNavigator, but I don't see that happening until we genetically engineer ourselves to have more hands.

16. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I use the Space Pilot with Max here and also have Unity open at the same time.
    I have to restart Unity every half hour to hour because my FPC starts moving in Game mode
    with no input from me. If all is stable in Game mode, just moving the Space Pilot causes this activity to begin.

17. Wadoman

Wadoman

I use the Space Navigator for a couple years now with Max and Maya. I have never had any issues with it until yesterday. I was working in Unity when all of a sudden my character controller would walk around without input. It took me two days to figure out it was from my Space Navigator. The hours of code surfing and testing I did thinking I got some code crossed. In the end I moved the usb to another port and now all is good. For now! Curious how this would affect Unity if it doesn't support the device.

18. blikstad

blikstad

I noticed this too a few days ago, very, very strange. Maybe the latest drivers map the navigator to the arrow keys or something? Can't seem to find any setting for that anywhere though, need to freaking turn it off, gaah! (yeah, I do want PROPER space navigator support, but not weirdo broken one, heh).

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

Or the profile in use mapped it to some key / joystick / mouse

20. blikstad

blikstad

Thing is, at least in the past it seem to have been absolutely no way to use the Space Navigators without using their SDK (i.e. the drivers weren't mapping it to a joystick or anything like that).

In either case, as wadoman said, plugging it into another USB port seem to have made it stop working, which in this case is a good thing.

21. Dreamora

Dreamora

Its good
    yet very strange as usb port dependency sounds like a hickup on the os end, neither the space nav itself or Unity (USB technically have no port assignements as good old serial, so independent in which usb port it is, it always should behave the same)

22. blikstad

blikstad

I'd be willing to bet it's something in the SpaceNavigator drivers gone weird.

Those drivers always been a little... wonky.

(maybe they're working on adding joystick support but haven't fully enabled it yet, and somehow part of that started working? Who knows... :))

23. imin

imin

24. suntiger430

suntiger430

rewind to 2003, 3D spacemouse ESSENTIAL hardware for RAPID iteration of 3D/VR worlds with 'Superscape VRT', VR toolkit/game engine. If I had to use the keyboard/game controller to build worlds, I would've lost the plot. A dude a few years ago, Patrick Hogenboom, wrote a driver that worked with Unity. Wonderful if some dude or other can write a new Unity plugin.

Han_Zulu and Ony like this.