Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have to use the oculus Integration?[SOLVED]

Discussion in 'VR' started by LadyLegend, Apr 23, 2020.

1. LadyLegend

LadyLegend

Is there something else I can use because it's been almost a month and I still can't figure out why I can no longer grab an object out of my other hand. I've asked here and on the oculus forums. I posted the codes but I really dont think the codes are the problem.
    My grabbable is set up this way. I created a new project downloaded just the oculus integration and it still doesn't work soooooooo I quit I'd rather us a different Integration is there a different one?

Image not working

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

You don't need to use it, no. I find the Oculus integration stuff way more complicated than it needs to be. You can check the trigger value yourself, and then do something like Physics.OverlapSphere to find objects (perhaps in a "Grabbable" layer) that overlap the hands, and do something about it.

3. LadyLegend

LadyLegend

I dont even know where or how to test with the physics.overlap.... but I did test to see if the bool that allows offhand grab switches off and nope nothing. But regardless of everything I've tried I created a new clean project with just the Integration nothing else and it doesn't work either so I'm sooo done with it. But what else can I use because I've tried vrtk and it still suggests to use the oculus Integration but I couldn't even get that running but I am soooo willing to give it a go again cause I refuse to use the oculus Integration. A short or long list of alternatives is greatly appreciated and I dont mind ones that cost money either I just want to move on with a well written and supported asset

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't think you'll find any off-the-shelf assets for this that don't rely on Oculus Integration. I could be wrong, but at this point I'm sure you've searched more than me (so you would probably know).

However you might check out this one before you give up entirely. I think it uses Oculus Integration too, but it worked right out of the box for me, and seems like a pretty clean (and well-supported) design.

Or if you want to do it yourself, just plan to spend a few weeks (or more) building it up step by step:

1. Empty project, make sure you can look around in VR.
    2. Get some hands (which could be simple cubes) moving around as you move the controllers.
    3. Learn how to detect the controller inputs (especially trigger and grip).
    4. Learn how to detect when one of the hands is touching (or close enough to touching) some object in the scene.
    5. Write code to pick up the object when the hand is close enough, and grip/trigger is pressed.

5. LadyLegend

LadyLegend

I thank you and I figured it out. the distance grabber doesn't allow offhand grab which is dumb. I had to add the grabber component under the distance grabber component and transfer over what I could from the distance grabber to the ovr grabber component. But all of that worked on the distance grabber scene. I just gotta figure out why its not working in my scene or I need o transfer everything over from one to the other scene.

6. LadyLegend

LadyLegend

I haven't bought but confirmed the the asset VR Interaction using their own grab system though still needs the oculus integration for other stuff. The asset is 59$