Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Developers & Apps for Mobile AR Headsets

Discussion in 'AR' started by Am33r007, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Am33r007

Am33r007

Hey guys.

I'm interested in Holographic AR.
    Anyone else Working on any of these? I'd like to collaborate on projects.

Mira Prism www.mirareality.com

Holoboard 1.0 www.myholo.io
    HRBox2 www.haoritechnology.com/

I have all 3 headsets, a developer account for each, and several apps for each.
    I've developed scenes and little games for each of them, also working on more apps for each, and trying to port simple apps to them via their SDKs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    alexusblack likes this.
  2. alexusblack

alexusblack

trying to get mira prism (reflective) and vr2go (see through) now. @Am33r007 do you have any feedback on headsets from user and developer perspectives?

3. alexusblack

alexusblack

Yeah, this promo video is impressive as ad but causes a lot of concerns if you look for technical details:
    - All showed use cases required mira mat to be used as an anchor OR
    - It was hanging in space in front of their face without any link to an actual surface
    This means that they are probably not using ARKit, they are iOS only, so they probably don't use custom built Vuforia either. I'm not sure what their technology for AR is, how good is it, does it have all recent features, can it actually detect feature points and planes?
    Real developer feedback would be best answer =)

4. Am33r007

Am33r007

Hey Alex. I created several scenes for the Mira Headset and used them on my phone.

For the Mira Prism:

It uses positional tracking only if you use it without the mat, but if you want 6dof tracking then you use the mat the same way you use Vuforia.

You can use the image targets they have in the sdk (the mat images) or upload the image targets of your choice to Wikitude and use them in Mira SDK, which runs on wikitude api.

It does not use ARKit so no Surface detection feature.

But it is amazing, the experiences are exactly as cool as the videos show! The Mira testflight app has a game you play in both positional tracking (shooting donught evils in space), and in 6dof when a colorful planet appears over the mat.

The 3d holograms are hanging in space without any world anchors but they remain with positional anchors. Marker-less.

But then, if you want to play in 6dof you can use the mat or your image target of your choice.
    Also, the controller has ximmerse technology so it can do gesture control, so you can tilt it to control or swipe its pad to control.

The game where the girl is playing a dog on a beach ball over a floating island does not require a mat, the mat just happened to be there on the table. The controller is held sideways and you tilt it and press pad button for controls.

The older man playing the puzzle ball is projecting the puzzle using the folded mira pad, and the mira pad itself is tilted to control the ball (rigid body game object) movement.

You can't find content for it online because you don't have a developer account (linked to the serial number of the headset). Once we login at MadewithMira.com we can access / check out content made for the headset, some of which is on GitHub.

Creating for it is not difficult if you're decent at Unity3D, C#, and Xcode.
    It's like Google cardboard or daydream, drag and drop a few prefabs onto scenes and assign the controller interactions.

I'll get pictures here if you want, I just didn't see anyone interested in this thread for a while now it's like no one cares about HMD AR which is weird.

Btw what is the VR2GO used for? I saw nothing unique on the website.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. alexusblack

alexusblack

Thank you for your reply Am33r007, just got my Mira DevKit approved, will order in next few days. Sounds interesting though I'm a bit disappointed with lack of feature point and plain detection, but it is more of a software integration questions so it might come to the platform later.

HMD AR is a future in my opinion, a whole new industry of its own and Handheld AR is just a sneak peek of that future. Though I think that in close future majority of users won't be able to afford HoloLens or Magic Leap, so HMD as Mira Prism can take a low cost segment of the market.

I'm hoping to use VR2GO as see through AR HMD like here:

6. Am33r007

Am33r007

That video is awesome man!
    btw. where are you located?
    This is Wilson leap motion mira prism

In the video you have the headset is an exposed camera VR headset, so in pass through not in reflective hologram.
    I think that form is limiting because of the goggle limited visibility and lack of wide field of view.
    I have two games: Iron man Hero Vision, and Bumblebee Vision and they are both AR with a pass through goggle.
    I didn't like the limited visibility, so I got the other headsets because I can still see my surroundings.

AR Headwear is the future but depending on the application you get the form
    Vuzix Blade has a great set of glasses and I think Apple and Google are going in that direction.
    You and I are looking for holograms not just display. I like it for games and novelty apps, like the one in ur video.
    with the mira your phone is tilted 30 degrees down so the front camera sees your hands without lifting then in front of ur face and so the hologram isn't blocking ur vision of ur world either, but if your hologram (game object) is not transparent enough it can block the tracker with both ur pass through method and mira, it happened to me.

Their SDK is limited because its older now (from Jan 2018) but you might getaway with new techniques I guess.
    Before you develop an app you want to think of the idea of switching between apps without having to take off the headset and remove the phone, so think of making a menu app from which you can launch ur AR apps and return back to the menu app, as in the 'Intent' plug-in. I made one of those for my Holoboard Arcade and my Mira.
    The menu app was one scene with game objects floating around me, clicking on one of them launches a different app.
    The Unity pic is of my holoarcade menu app with floating game objects.
    The colorful image is the Mira Game with the Donuts planet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  7. alexusblack

alexusblack

Hey, this is a cool project on he video, I'm curious if Leap Motion can be substituted with something like Manomotion without critical loss in quality of recognition...
    I'm in Australia, just ordered the Mira and my delivery cost was more then Mira itself =(.
    I agree that holographic projection is better right now than a see through HMD, but I'm not sure if this is a way to go for realistic AR. As far as I understand your 3D models will be semitransparent on Mira\Hololens no matter what (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is why I'm interested in transparent display technology and wave guide approach like Magic Leap. Though wave guide seems to be similar to holographic projection just with another way of light reflection.

It seems that Mira has good tools for remote debugging that AR Foundation mostly misses at the moment, glad to see that. Thanks for advice on in-AR app switching, I will definitely give it a try.

What do you think of HoloLens 2 and general advantage Microsoft have in Enterprise AR at the moment?

8. Am33r007

Am33r007

I have extra headsets, would've sold you one way cheaper, plus, shipping from CA to you should be like $20 why are they asking a ton! Shipping to you is a single flight away. Ask them if they haven't Shipped it then get ur money back, that's too much.

Manomotion is doable I think, Watson did his demo over a year and half ago, AR is way better now. Yes AR Foundation needs a couple of more updates to get on track, they put it together to bridge the use of core and kit at some level but that's just a start.

The holograms are semi transparent it's just that making them texture dense could make them occlude the image tracker (the Mira pad).
    Mira has a 60° fov and Holoboard 90° so you want to make consideration as to how much of the environment you want visible at the same instance. I made a treasure box that appears on top of a pirate flag skull and bone, it made the tracker disappear then the chest disappeared lol it was big and too close to the mat.

Waveguide is just incredible, but although the headsets im using may seem gimmic-like, hololense and magic leap are ugly and will never be the norm. Also I'm not sure exactly why would one want holograms in life! Like what problem they really solve? I'm doing all this for entertainment lol well And there is you who is the only other person on this planet that is here too.

Cheers

9. alexusblack

alexusblack

It is okay, I can guess that cost is because of expedited delivery price, they don't want it to break or be stolen on its way. Hope that they will shipping costs when\if will go for worldwide consumers market.

Hah, I can see you point that AR industry is rather dormant now, but I wouldn't agree that it is limited to two people on the planet. The industry is at very early stages and extremely disconnected now. Lots of individual developers playing with the tech by themselves, enterprise companies doing their own things and hiding their IP like if they were dragons over gold, people rarely try to help each other (just take a look over number or unanswered threads in AR and AR Handheld sections of the forum), but it all will change. Many compare the industry to early internet era, I would put analogy more to PC\Mac early evolution, we are somewhere in 70-80 of the analogy, only for our time I believe it will be developing much faster 3-5 years for a decade.

Here are some links for you to feel less lonely if you are not aware of them:
    AR Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/augmentedreality/
    AR Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/rCfV3Bd
    Good channel dedicated to AR already for many years: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClm2DY6pj3ygKoKhEVr7KFw
    Augmented World Expo YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCutPI2lji_hFToXec7qOCFA
    AR\VR Association YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmcby3WT8xIiXcYBSu4H0XQ

About not being sure about how AR or AR holograms can be used in life there are some inspirational videos:
    Sight -

Hyper-Reality -

They can be disturbing and worrisome, but this is role of true art. From my perspective the answer where AR can be used in the term itself: everywhere. It Augments Reality, and as we have reality everywhere we can augment it. Only issue we have at the moment is lack of technology, tools and understanding this is where time is required.

10. Am33r007

Am33r007

The videos are awesome, I saw the second one before.

I do think you misunderstood though. The holograms themselves are not always needed, if one wants to displayed instructions then language alone can do; as in the Vuzix

11. codexmonkey

codexmonkey

Hi Am33r007,
    I'm also fascinated by the Mira Prism, even though Mira is focusing on the enterprise market.
    Which SDK are you using for the Mira Prism? v0.7.0?
    https://developer.mirareality.com/
    Does it run on newer releases of Unity?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  12. Am33r007

Am33r007

It was SDK .71 I think, their 3rd iteration.

Yea, my Unity 2019.1 ran it fine, then I opened the xcodeproj in Xcode and built it. A lot was deprecated but it functioned correctly.

I had found two games for it, and signed them and built them to the phone w xcode. Older game required older Xcode because it was an xcodeproj but the other game was already an IPA so it built to the phone w newer Xcode.

13. codexmonkey

codexmonkey

Good to hear that Mira SDK 0.7.1 works with Unity 2019.1!
    https://github.com/miralabs/mira-unity-sdk

I'm interested in experimenting with the Mira Prism in a scene with floating human-like avatars, where 3 DOF is sufficient for the experience, and 6 DOF isn't necessary (because they are floating). The reason I'm interested in the Mira Prism is because I would like to also interact with the real world, and I can't afford a HoloLens or Magic Leap. It doesn't matter for my use case that the floating human-like avatars are not anchored to the real world.

14. Am33r007

Am33r007

Awesome :) I replied to your inbox