Search Unity

Destroyed objects show up on newly connected players

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TJB, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TJB

TJB

When I network destroy a object that was instantiated by the server any clients that connect to the server after the object is destroyed have a instance of the object in their scene.

I was wondering if anyone might know what i'd need to do to prevent this from happening?

Thnx for any help you can provide.

2. jashan

jashan

Since I've had the same issue, I guess that Network.Instantiate uses buffered RPCs. I can see two solutions to this: One is using groups and removing the buffered RPCs (don't have the name of the method in my mind right now, but it's well documented). The other one is: Not using Network.Instantiate and doing the network instantiation yourself. There's a good example for how to do this I think in the docs in NetworkView.RPC(...)

Sunny regards,
    Jashan

3. TJB

TJB

Thanks for the advice, I feel myself getting close to solving it, but I'm still having problems. I made a simple scene to figure it out as follows:

The first script is attached to the camera and allows the user to start a server or connect. If the player starts a server a prefab is network instantiated.

this is attached to the instantiated object:
    Code (csharp):
    1. function Start () {
    2.     if (Network.isServer) {
    3.         networkView.group = 1;
    4.         Network.Destroy(gameObject);
    5.         Network.RemoveRPCsInGroup(1);
    6.     }
    7. }
    So if i start this up and launch the server, then open a second instance and connect the prefab is still around... If i change:
    Network.RemoveRPCsInGroup(1);
    to:
    Network.RemoveRPCs(Network.player);
    it works, but that doesn't help me.

If what i wrote makes sense any help would be great.

4. TJB

TJB

ok, figured it out... in:
    Network.Instantiate(testobject,transform.position,transform.rotation,0);
    the 0 at the end defines the group... was just blindly putting it in until now :D
    and what i have above defines the group of the networkview... not the instantiation