Search Unity

Dedicated/Community Servers

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by KyleStank, Feb 13, 2017.

1. KyleStank

KyleStank

Hello everyone,

I feel like I have a simple question, but I can't find any answers for the context needed. I would like to allow users to create their own servers, like Unturned does it. You run the game in Command Line, and the server is a dedicated server created by someone else, running off of there internet connection. Minecraft handles servers the same way, and a lot of other games do.

How would I go about allowing users to do this? I saw this: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/master-server-framework.430570/

I am not entirely sure if this would help me with what I need or not. The reason I want to allow users to create their own servers is because I don't want there to be a CCU limit.

Even if the link above is the solution, it isn't free. There has to be a way to do it for free. If you guys know how I would go about this, please explain. I know barely anything about networking, which is probably the main reason why I don't know where to begin here. I can learn about networking once I actually begin needing this, but I would like to know where to start at least.

Thank you :)