Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Death Car

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by theinfomercial, May 19, 2009.

1. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hey everyone. I present to you my very first completed game! Death Car! :D

This is a game I simply made up on the spot in terms of plot and game design. Basically, it's a joke game. It has no real enemies and everything is absurdly easy, as well as a dumb story to go along with it. But it's my first game, so I thought it should be something relatively simple.

I didn't really bother with the graphics since I am already experienced at that. This game is really about trying to hone my feeble coding/game development skills. The controls for this game are inspired by Unreal Tournament 3's four wheeled vehicles. So if you played UT3, you'll pick it up real fast.

W = Accelerate
    S = Reverse
    A = Left Turn
    D = Right Turn
    Space = Brakes
    Mouse = Aim (Button fires gun)
    ESC = Pause Menu

It's not perfect as there are some gameplay pieces I wish I could have refined (such as the vehicle physics and aiming not being consistent on different resolutions). But it works pretty well. My game is optimized and runs at 300-400 fps at best on my Mac Pro. I ran my game on my mom's little MacBook and it also ran *relatively* nice. :wink:

*THIS GAME LOOKS BEST AT A 16:9 ASPECT RATIO*

Also, sorry for the large file sizes. My game has some pre-rendered movies in there.

Anyway, enjoy!

http://rapidshare.com/files/234917280/Death_Car_Mac.zip (Mac/80.9MB)

http://rapidshare.com/files/234937247/Death_Car_Windows.zip (Windows/76.6MB)

2. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

im downloading right now the windows version... 8)

3. Dakta

Dakta

Downloading now Mac build, can't wait to play!

4. Dakta

Dakta

Very silly! Very fun!

Can I have some more? Please?

Keep it up man! Awesome!

5. seon

seon

Nice base for a multi-player car smash/battle game!

Also, great explosions! Wanna share them? :)

6. polytropoi

polytropoi

Good job! Looks better than my first efforts. The explosions are nice, just need more stuff to blow up :)

Maybe the fire rate could be a bit faster, so you can use the bullet trails for targeting - it's tough since the gun is fixed vertically, but the balls are bouncing - maybe not as satisfying without some means of targeting. I like how you use the fog to obscure things, but maybe a HUD would help navigation. Here's a quick HUD script:
    Code (csharp):
    2. var controlTexture : RenderTexture;
    3. function OnGUI () {
    4. GUI.Box (Rect (Screen.width - 244,-10,258,255), "");
    5. GUI.DrawTexture (Rect (Screen.width - 240,0,238,238), controlTexture);
    6. }
    So you make another camera, set it to orthographic, pointing straight down, and sized to cover the whole area, then create a rendertexture, and assign the new camera to it. Then apply that rendertexture to the public variable in the script above, and you've got HUD! You can use culling masks on the cameras to show/hide different stuff in the HUD and main camera views. Like if you want a big red dot to represent the car in the HUD, make a big dot (i.e. flat plane with a picture), assign it to a new layer (i.e. map), parent the dot to the car, and set the HUD camera to use that culling mask. Or, you could size the HUD camera so it covers a smaller area, and parent it to the car, so the car would always be the center of the map.

I also would choose a smooth follow main camera, instead of allowing it to completely orbit the car while it's moving - it kinda undermines the illusion of "driving".

(ps sorry for flaming you so hard the other day, hit a nerve I guess... :oops:)

7. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Thanks guys! I might not be doing any improvements to it since it was just something to get my feet wet in game dev. Sure was interesting to make though.

I could certainly share my explosion prefab. Unfortunately, my game was made with the Unity trial and it's long since expired. :( But I might get Unity Indie just for the sake of having it and sending some prefabs. :)

The fog was originally made to hide the fact that my camera clipping was short. I did this so that the geometry far away wouldn't be rendered. A neat optimization.

No idea what my next game will be about. I'm thinking Bioshock-ish. Pretty much just go ape S*** with the graphics. :D

On the side, I'm developing models and such for a game I pray I can make. But that won't be for a while (if ever).

Dang it, I'm gonna buy Unity now! :D

@Polytropoi
    Thanks! Sorry about me being mean too! :)

8. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

So anyway, I just bought Unity! Yay! :D

I have a package for my Explosion prefab here for anyone who wants it. It's basically the standard Unity explosion prefab with an extra emitter and heavily tweaked to something good. Enjoy!

Anyone gotten to the ending of my game yet? :D

Attached Files:

9. seon

seon

Awesome, thanks.

yes, I got to the end.... nice easter egg in there :)

10. Dakta

Dakta

I beat it in a very short while.

11. Dakta

Dakta

Rick'Roll'd!

12. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Zing! I thought it was most appropriate for my game. :D

I wonder if Alec will see this since a game he made has a rick roll thing too. :D