Search Unity

Data Streaming from Unity VR app to mobile (iOS/android/web) client

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by patmw, May 15, 2021.

1. patmw

patmw

Hi there,

I'm currently working on a VR app for a client, which will run on the Oculus Quest/Quest2. One of the base requirements is that the VR app can be interacted with from an external client application through two-way communication.

The mobile client should be able to trigger certain events within the Quest app - for example, pause/continue/next scene/trigger sound, etc.

The mobile client should also be able to receive data from the Quest app - things such as the user's performance metrics in a certain part of the experience.

In my initial research, I've stumbled upon several options: UDP/threading/OSC/PUN/Mirror/Normcore/WebRTC, and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed (I have no solid networking experience in the past).

If possible I would like to avoid some of the heavier networking frameworks, as I want to avoid having to refactor all my code to accommodate for these. There isn't necessarily a need for full synchronization of game-states like there would on a real-time multiplayer game, only small custom data packets.

Any guidance would be massively appreciated!

I'm way in over my head at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Pat