Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Bug Dark Squares around Point Lights in HDRP

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ChiliStudio, Mar 19, 2021.

1. ChiliStudio

ChiliStudio

Dark squares are appearing around point lights (as shown in screenshots).

This is only a problem since I have such a large number of lights, but it is a runway, I need them. Should I just bake the lighting?

Please help! Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Are those dark pixels just shards of shadow cast from the light shining over the edge of the little circular lighter-colored pad? It looks slightly-raised to me. Have you tried making it flush to the ground, or else bevelled outwards a bit so each light doesn't cast a shadow over that lip?

Cool displaced threshold lighting btw... love it!

3. ChiliStudio

ChiliStudio

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The issue persists when shadows are turned off. Do you see the large dark squares that surround 1. the large red approach light and 2. just generally around the green light?

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Oh duh, now I see them. My "look at this!" filter was targeted tightly around each light.

I'm guessing the answer is what @fffMalzbier identified above, or at least that's fairly easy to test for.

6. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I have seen this in HDRP, it was when I had a ton of units (each with their own point light) all bunched together, I am guessing it is the 24 light per tile limit @ffMalzbier is talking about. My guess would be to turn your light range down and your intensity up, and you'd harldy see the difference, but way less light overlap.

I cant use light baking in my project, but if I could, I would use it every chance I got.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    ChiliStudio likes this.