Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Custom event shows 0 occurence for a parameter while the event has multiple occurences

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by MagicDesignEmerick, Sep 26, 2019.

1. MagicDesignEmerick

MagicDesignEmerick

Hi, while setting up analytics for our game, I ran into the following scenario :

• I'm checking an event which has a single parameter (time)
    • said event sometime shows it has received events, but won't display any value for the selected parameter
    Here is a graph showing this behaviour, green is number of event received for this event, while blue is the "count" of the time parameter occurence. These lines should be identical, if I understand it correctly.

upload_2019-9-26_10-17-3.png

Is there anything that could explain this behaviour? Could it be that the parameter is somehow sometimes sent with wrong values and isn't aggregated properly?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Did you send the event previously without a parameter, then changed the signature? What are you trying to accomplish, perhaps making a funnel?

3. MagicDesignEmerick

MagicDesignEmerick

Unless there was a weird bug in that part it shouldn't have been ever sent without a parameter.
    We want to monitor how long the players take to finish our levels, and how long they spend in fights. I've now set this up as the same event with disticnt parameters, that will at least exclude the theory of having it sent with no arguments.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

So have you changed the parameters? I don't mean a bug, I mean in your explicit coding. You don't want to change the parameter signature once you start sending the event. If you need to change the parameter signature, it is advised to create a new event name. And please clarify how you plan to "monitor the players", what report are you using in the Dashboard? Typically you would want to use Raw Data Export, a Pro-only license feature. The dashboard doesn't display parameter values as you require, it only shows an aggregated view of the data at a high level. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsRawDataExport.html