Search Unity

CTS - Complete Terrain Shader - Deprecated

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nope. We never saw this as an issue as profiles are generally a one off exercise.

2. vinnygombici

vinnygombici

3. Mark_01

Mark_01

No sorry , I meant that, that site you can leave a message / mail there as Adam checks there
    more often then here. The Gaia forum is at page 179 now ... So if you had a problem with Gaia
    reading through 180 pages and or searching might take a lot longer then just leaving Adam
    a question or message at here >> https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new

The whole idea is that after if others have a similar problem as you, then the answer will be there fast
    to find , then say going through 179 pages if it were say a Gaia question/problem.

On the previews pages people have said there was a kind of problem with the snow .. artifact ? I don't
    know if that is your case and or how to fix it.

Really though the screen shots you posted .. To small you can not see anything in those screen
    captures you posted to see what is going on close up. If I could give you a fast answer here I would.

Myself have not had any problems like what you seems to have shown in the screen shots, but i think you'
    will need to make bigger more close in screen captures .. to be useful.

EDIT Adam can and will help you, it would be faster for you to Use the support page Adam has asked us all to use. Might here I don't know.. and or maybe others can maybe give you
    some possible reasons whats going wrong with your scene there.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Adding automated mesh decimation as well. Needed it for the colliders as the ones I was using were way too high poly :)

If you are using Gaia, it already has a mesh export function. It can also export your splats.

Speaking of Gaia, which you weren't, here are a couple of quick scenes from the fractal explorer in Gaia 2 :)

Grab 20171106115914 w1920h909 x-107y106z193r220.jpg

Grab 20171106114740 w1920h909 x135y158z-615r337.jpg

Rowlan, StevenPicard, Olander and 3 others like this.
  5. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Just a heads up as to why I want people to use the ticketed support system.

The short answer is that you will get a direct response from me within 24 - 48 hours depending on timezone differences, work load and on what else I have on at the time.

The longer answer. I am a bit of an insomniac and often wake at weird times and get messages from reddit, facebook, twitter, youtube, email and all of my unity forums. When this happens I am usually very tired or being in bed just can't answer, and then in the morning I get caught up in other things and it slips through the cracks. Alternatively in the forums, which I do not get notifications on, if there is some chatter then your question can get lost several posts back and I can easily miss them.

Some people have said that this is inconvenient for them and I should be across all the communications channels all the time.. the reality is that stuff gets lost despite my best intentions... so if you want guaranteed response then please use the one mechanism that is tracked, managed and always checked.

https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home

As Mark points out, there is also knowledge base there as well and if you take a moment to look then chances are your question has already been answered.

Olander and TeagansDad like this.
  6. MarkusGod

MarkusGod

+1. it appears every time unity recompile scripts, but I did not notice anything destructive, and everything works as intended.

7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

This is an internal assertion in the Unity code base most likely intended as a debug statement to test for something - nothing we can do about it.

8. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

ARGH - BLACK SNOW!

I was helping a friend this morning and we got the black snow issue with CTS Weather Manager....

Am I am like.. wtf.. and finally the penny dropped... talk about a nasty little logic bug. So... a lot of people commented on how much faster the latest CTS is.. and that's because we paid attention to everything and optimized as much as we could.

Anyways... one of the optimizations was to disable snow textures in CTS if the snow is not showing via the profile. And the profile always dictates the initial setup of CTS in your scene.

So the logic bug comes from weather manager - which updates the shader directly rather than via the profile (because we dont want your profile messed up by runtime weather).

If snow is disabled by the profile... but the weather manager tries to turn it on... all of the texture indexes are invalid and you get black snow painted instead of lovely white snow.

QUICK WORKAROUND:

Set snow power to some very small value e.g. 0.01 in your profile. This will make sure that the texture indexes are sent and everything will now work as expected.

I will fix this in next CTS release.

9. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

Is there any way to disable the weather manager seasonal tint on a per-texture basis? For example, I want to color grasses green in spring but not rocks or sand.

Also please keep working on the documentation. So many features are not explained like color maps, geological settings, tessellation...

Thanks.

10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

No there isn't - but if you look at the script its quite simple and you could modify it.

11. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

Hi!
    If you looking for cool foliage and big library of textures for CTS just take a look here:

Screen19.png Screen2avs.png Screen3.png Screen4_01.jpg Screen16.png

Asset Store Link

Speed Level Design with CTS

Pack contain:
    - 28 ground texture sets;
    - 10 grass atlases sets ;
    - 20 unity grass billboards;
    - 26 unity grass models;
    -40 vegetation studio grass prefabs with Lod's;
    - 2 scanned optimised trunks;
    - 6 roots models;
    - 2 grass shader ;
    - CTS profile for terrain (from movie);
    - Vegetation Studio profile (auto forest paint);
    - 2 demo scenes (from video and with unity basic shaders);
    - Post process profile (image effects from movie);

12. DiggingNebula8

DiggingNebula8

Does this asset support TerrainComposer2?

13. Salja

Salja

Terrain Composer is normal unity terrain and works great with cts

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  14. Salja

Salja

why delete from store ?

15. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

He hasn't - its a Unity asset store bug - and as you can imagine he's pretty unhappy. Should be fixed shortly hopefully.

Mark_01 and Salja like this.
  16. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

May bad missed the reply above

Mark_01 likes this.
  17. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

It works again. I just uploading new fixed version too. We had small marathon with unity server support.

18. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

Hay after adventures in UE4 i decided to go back to Unity and play here a little :), because i havent tried CTS since last update and was curious how it works now and how new features work and since i love the work Adam did, its was fireing me inside to try it :)

Question. Does CTS implement bump offset ? It gives a really nice 3d depth without tesselation on rock like textures or brick roads for instance.

You can see on the video i made for the dynamic tesselatted snow that even hand painted textures with bump offset look better. I dont know how You create shader for the terrain in Unity, but i guess You can have a swich (or basically sldier with the bump offset strength) per texture. It would be a really really nice addition to the CTS imo.

Also another question, is it possible so CTS can use "combined" textures? For instance i want to combine textures into MRA, so Metalness is in R channel, Roughness is in G channel and Ambient Occlusion is in B channel (i use that when i was experimenting in Unreal) ? I think there is a limit in current shader version for amount of textures samples, but i have no idea how dis applies to Unity....just curious question, i wont hide that CTS inspired me, but its time to jump back to Unity, because programming is most fun, than working on spaghetti :) and i will never reach the quality of CTS. I am also considering buying World Streamer but the use of it is pretty complicated compared to World Composition in Unreal, but i guess its the only good solution on the store.

MarkusGod and blitzvb like this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia and CTS are 50% off for Black Friday sale!

And check this video tutorial from Unity on how to make a 3rd person game with among other things Gaia! Would look so much nicer with CTS as well :)

20. derkoi

derkoi

Hey, has anyone gotten different footsteps to play depending on terrain texture using CTS? I had it working on normal Unity terrain but it no longer works once CTS is applied to my terrain.

21. DiggingNebula8

DiggingNebula8

Yes, I have purchased both of them. Thank you so much, Mr Goodrich.

AdamGoodrich and Quique-Martinez like this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

As a performance optimisation we remove textures at runtime. Just disable Strip Textures under optimisation settings.

derkoi and Mark_01 like this.
  23. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Ok so with this being on sale I am debating on using it. What's holding me up is I already own RTP. How does this one stack up against RTP? are they completely different or can they work together or they do the same thing in a different way?

Any thoughts?

24. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

CTS is eons easier to use than RTP thats for sure.

As for functionalitites, i haven't go deep into RTP, because CTS has released and i liked it more :). I think it still misses some features like mesh blending (?) also perhaps a bump offset on a texture as i mentioned before would be also nice to have. Guess i didnt help u :)

25. EmorrowDF

EmorrowDF

Currently in school for video game design and learning unitt. The default shaders left me wanting so much more. Picked this up since it's on sale td and I'm genuinely impressed. Absolutely amazing. Well done.

When my next portion of student loan comes in, I look forward to buying Gaia and your other tools to put to use. From what I can tell, your assets are some of the best on the store.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  26. Mark_01

Mark_01

CTS was a Unity 2017 Awards finalist. Go check out the first page of this forum and look at the pic's. I used RTP like 10 times when I first got it years ago. Lot's of people say its hard to use. I agree with Rastapastor just 2 posts up where they say ...

" CTS is eons easier to use than RTP thats for sure. " I agree 100 % with that!!

AFAIK CTS is the only shader that has a weather manager that just works ... the landscape gets a wet look when it starts to rain. ( with out having to be a coder ) Also maybe read tho the 30 reviews in total give CTS a 5 start rating. CTS will get more options and new features
    to be sure. It is only out since June of this year and I am fully confident more features will be added. For me, no regrets, except maybe not getting it on sale .. HAHA ( seriously I think its worth more then 50 $ regular price even. )

I agree with that. Adam and Bart are both very good developers that actually care about their customers, over just making a quick buck. They are leader's in what they deliver, and innovative, rather then just copying other peoples idea's

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  27. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

CTS was built with speed, ease of use, and beauty in mind.

Our initial launch aced ease of use, power and beauty but struggled with speed, particularly on lower end equipment, and every subsequent release has seen us improve both capability and speed.

RTP is an awesome shader that's had years of development invested into it, whereas CTS is quite new by comparison. If you are happy with RTP and concerned at the cost of CTS then you should stick with RTP.

The next release of CTS is under development and mesh blending will be a major part of it. We also bring the latest optimizations from the underlying Amplify shader framework to the table and hope to see another speed improvement. We can't quantify what this will be yet as we are not ready to test it yet.

We don't do sales on CTS very often, so if you were in the fence then this is an ideal time to jump in and test the water.

While CTS will work with any terrain tool, it is also paired nicely with Gaia (which is also on sale), and the CTS texture profiles make a rather nice visual upgrade on Gaia terrains.

28. blitzvb

blitzvb

Do you provide the ASE graph of CTS or a node to connect to?

29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We provide the compiled version, not the original as we have also created our own custom nodes. If you would like the original then please PM and we can discuss cost.

30. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks Adam!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  31. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I am curious if any new features and improvements are in development right now. We all could use some more performance/baked ao/pom/some other little things.

32. Mighto360

Mighto360

Does CTS do anything about tree billboards? If it doesn't, I think it needs to because of how bad current tree billboards are.

33. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

You'd rather check a Vegetation Studio for that.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/submitted-vegetation-studio.479244/

CTS is a terrain shader as far as i know, not the vegetation system :)

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes we are working on next version. As mentioned a few posts back, one of the features will be mesh blending.

mattis89, Mark_01 and Kolyasisan like this.
  35. Rastapastor

Rastapastor

https://forum.unity.com/threads/submitted-vegetation-studio.479244/page-13

Post number 646 :). I have no idea if You, creators, exchange thoughts between Yourself, but this stuff could be also useful to have in CTS :). As i can foresee that Vegetation Studio gonna be a "must have" for ppl that want to create great landscapes in the future in Unity as CTS is slowly coming to be such stuff also :)

blitzvb and MarkusGod like this.
  36. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We are working with author of Vegetation Studio - its a very nice product.

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone -

This sale has been a stellar success for Gaia and CTS - and as a thanks to the community I would like to share some cool links you might be interested in:

180+ high quality free assets - a lot of which you can use with Gaia & CTS:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/blog/best-free-unity-assets-categorised-mega-list/

A bunch of other QUALITY assets that have been tested with Gaia - and which in general have 1 click integration:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/?section=gaia-extensions

An article on scene optimization - can lead to some massive frame rate increases:
    http://www.procedural-worlds.com/gaia/tutorials/mobile-unity-scene-optimisation-with-gaia/

Enjoy!!

38. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

Hi, I'm very happy with CTS but layering looks somehow unnatural.
    I have a couple of suggestions:
    Would nice to add some noise to terrain layering
    upload_2017-11-24_9-48-45.jpeg
    and tilt

Thaks!

39. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

hi and sorry my inglish.
    I do not know if this has been mentioned before, when importing the asset I get the following error

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'scriptParameterClass != NULL'

I have eliminated directx 9 as indicated, use unity 7.2.03f

thx!

blitzvb likes this.
  40. blitzvb

blitzvb

Same here.

41. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

I think it's a Unity bug. And it's fixed in version 2017.3.

FargleBargle and Mark_01 like this.
  42. Mark_01

Mark_01

CTS does not take " lots of memory "

You really should not go around making " blanket statements with out proof. " If it can be proven legally that you
    lead to a loss of sales due to " defamation " it is conceivable that you could be held liable, and have to pay for the lost sales.

FURTHERMORE I have talked to Bart and Adam about the geo interest and YES they know and that will be upgraded as well. Right now they are working on mesh blending which is way more important. ( i asked about geo interest bending awhile ago and it will come )

Here two posts from a very well known respected member of the community, that even wrote his own private version of Vegetation Studio ( just to show yes this guy knows what he is talking about. )

For those others that may see this ... Here is 2 links from some one that actually knows what they are doing and SAYING ...

The first post is about CTS ( current version ) a page back >>>
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/cts-complete-terrain-shader.477615/page-23#post-3269030

And this one if there is any doubt, you can go check this guys web site as well.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/submitted-vegetation-studio.479244/page-11#post-3280187

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    Olander likes this.
  43. Mark_01

Mark_01

It seems to be .. I found if I left the dialog box open where you un-tick dx9 just leave that box open and then
    that message is not there... it comes back when you close the box where you un-tick dx 9

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  44. Quique-Martinez

Quique-Martinez

You're absolutely right. I'm ashamed for not being more careful when posting. I deleted the post.

45. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

perfect !, it has worked for me as you said, with the error it would not let me do a build.

Thank you

46. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

still giving the same mistake, it is the first time that happens to me and with the only asset :(

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I must have missed the prelude to this comment.. is there a question here?

Sounds like you are getting a build issue... I can confirm that I can successfully build CTS projects as shown with these CTS demos:

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/cts/demos/cts-demos/

48. blitzvb

blitzvb

49. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

I do not think the template system allows you to have a surface shader as a base. It is designed for custom vertex and fragment shaders.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  50. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

I tried adding a point light to my scene which I generated using GAIA, Envrio and CTS but the point light did not have any effect on the terrain but it did on the grass. Any idea why?