Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Continuum - Infinite Survival cave game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EBR, Jul 1, 2014.

1. EBR

EBR

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  2. Jamcount

Jamcount

Great models, You should definitely make this into a game. Keep up the good work and good luck;

-Jamcount;

3. EBR

EBR

Thank you very much for the feed back. I am thinking of making a cave horror/survival sorta thing. I have an image in my mind but it will be hard to execute.
    I also updated the model and texture for the knife.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-02 at 12.45.48 am.png

Jamcount, ANTROPO and FakedMeerkat like this.
  4. Jamcount

Jamcount

I am not personally the big fan of horror games, but survival games is my favourite genre! And if you need help with programming i would like to help, but you can probably do it yourself, even though i would love to help you. Your idea sounds great, keep up the good work;

-Jamcount;

5. EBR

EBR

I will gladly recieve help with some programming, I am alright but not amazing. I am thinking of having a procedural voxel cave system using perlin worms. I still have to figure out how to do this but hopefully it isn't too hard.

6. EBR

EBR

New model of an emergency flare.
    Screen Shot 2014-07-03 at 2.04.31 am.png

Jamcount likes this.
  7. Jamcount

Jamcount

Just tell me if you need any help, i am not the best either but i got enough skill to make the games from my imagination;

-Jamcount;

8. Jamcount

Jamcount

It looks nice, keep up the good work;

-Jamcount;

9. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I have got an infinite cave system going but it is blocky and not smooth which is what I need to do now it is also not very optimised and the performance isn't great. Is it possible for everyone to test the webplayer linked below and tell me the fps you are getting thanks :)

Webplayer (a working procedural cave system)

10. jameos

jameos

about 20 fps

11. melidian

melidian

Cool idea and great models! The cave generation system completely reminds me of Minecraft. :p

12. EBR

EBR

Thank you, is it possible if you could tell me your computer specs as well?

Thank you, but hopefully when I'm done it won't look to much like minecraft :)

13. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I have changed the cave generation so that it used marching cubes it is no way smoother than the 'blocky' terrain. But I am going to smooth it out even more. The performance is still crap can you please test it? And if it is possible please reply with the fps and the specs of your computer. Thanks :)

Webplayer (Smooth procedural caves)

14. Reckmen

Reckmen

It was working very smoothly for me it looks great. i got stuck a few times in holes though. i was doing 50- 52 fps

15. EBR

EBR

Thanks for the feedback, wow the performance isn't actually to bad then... Don't worry about getting stuck the new system I am working on will fix that :D

satmsm likes this.
  16. SememeS

SememeS

Walking normally - FPS: 58 - 61
    Jumping - FPS: 50 - 56
    Falling - FPS: 46.4 - 50

Specs:

i7 920 2.67 ghz
    12gb RAM
    2gb Geforce GTX 750 ti
    running on win7x64 in firefox browser

17. FBTH

FBTH

No noticeable frame drops, looks incredible, I'm bookmarking this!

18. melidian

melidian

Standing: 60 fps
    Walking: 40-60 fps
    Walking and loading big chucks of the world 20-30 fps
    I'm too lazy to go write down my specs but lets just say I got a pretty old and a completely non gaming computer. (It's pretty S***ty)

19. EBR

EBR

Thank you all for your feedback. So at the moment optimising isn't my top priority it seems.

20. indiegamemodels

indiegamemodels

FPS: 58-59

Specs:
    i7 950
    gtx 660
    12 gigs ram

The models you show in the thread are looking pretty good!

21. jameos

jameos

my specs are gtx 760
    8 gb ram
    amd 3.60 ghz

with 20 fps

22. EBR

EBR

Thanks for the reply :)

23. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I have tweaked a lot of things but there many not be that much visible change. Also there is now a very disgusting gross looking options menu if you press 'escape' it is just to test with different in-game settings, don't worry it won't stay in the game. Some of the settings don't work in the webplayer though (eg. resolution)

One problem I have encountered is that I cannot get the new smoothing to work properly. It smooths per chunk which produces weird results.

24. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice work on the items, models and textures look good so far :)

As for the cave demo, I get 58-60 FPS most of the time with drops to 25-35 on some of the bigger falls. If I go full screen it goes up to 200.

Specs:
    i5 4.2GHz
    8 GB RAM
    GTX 760

Edit: Webplayer resolution: Take a look at this.

25. EBR

EBR

Thanks for the feedback and the link. But I checked and resolution/fullscreen does actually work in the webplayer :p

26. Jamcount

Jamcount

I think it is going to be a great game, keep up the good work!

-Jamcount;

27. EBR

EBR

Thank you very much for the support :)

Update:
    I am still working on the new terrain but still have some problems, should be ready soon.

28. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I have uploaded the new cave system even though it isn't finished. This is because I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the black lines (see webplayer). Thanks.

Webplayer

29. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Looks like a good start.

Those black lines are caused by faulty normals. Are you calculating the normals with the builtin Mesh.RecalculateNormals function? This doesnt take neighbouring chunks into account, what causes the black lines to appear. To fix this, you should generate your normals based on the volume data, with a method called central difference or gradient.

30. EBR

EBR

No, I am generating normals myself but it must be offset by one voxel or something like that. I am looking into it now. Thanks for the help :)

31. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Ah, good :) Be sure to take the neighbouring chunks into account then

32. EBR

EBR

Update:
    Finished the procedural cave generator (for now). It is quite bad in terms of performance so could you guys once again tell me how it is? Thanks and now I will be working on improving and changing it till its perfect. Urghh.. so much effort... procedural meshes are the worst :) Also added a mini-profiller thing to see how hong it is taking to generate the meshes etc.

Webplayer

33. Jamcount

Jamcount

Every time i spawn i fall through the world.

-Jamcount;

34. EBR

EBR

hmmm.... thats weird it works for me... I'll look into it

35. Jamcount

Jamcount

Thanks;

-Jamcount;

36. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I haven't tried the new one yet, but on the first WP, I got about 20 FPS. Also, I tried to test if it was truly "infinite" and it seemed to be for about 5 minutes... until I finally fell through a deep hole and then kept falling with a few sparse boxes flying by me on all sides, but certainly out of the cave.

37. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

60 fps solid on the second demo. I have a feeling on the first one I was falling faster than the algorithm could generate the cave so I fell through the floor before the floor was created.

38. EBR

EBR

@Jamcount Try now?

Webplayer

The falling thing doesn't happen now though does it? I thought I had fixed that o_O

39. realghetto

realghetto

I have to state the obvious here, if you "Aren't proud of your work", why would you display it? Don't come here looking for sympathy, come here looking to display your work. It is grand work indeed. Just don't downplay it. It looks to me like you are looking for sympathy votes when you do this. Please don't ever post "OMG, Here is my work, but it sucks". Instead, maybe try for something along the lines of "OMG, it's a WIP, but I'M EXCITED!". How can I be excited for you, if "YOU, YOURSELF", don't think it is worth looking at? Just IMHO.

40. EBR

EBR

I agree with you but when I first started this it wasn't very good and but I was still proud of my work. As I developed it it has become a lot better. I am sorry that it was presented in this way, I will change it.

41. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Nope, doesn't happen at all now.

42. Jamcount

Jamcount

It works fine now, great work;

-Jamcount;

43. EBR

EBR

Thanks for the feedback, now to make it into an actual game...

Jamcount likes this.
  44. freshgamer10

freshgamer10

Awesome artwork and the concept really is intriguing. Keep it up! :)

Jamcount likes this.
  45. EBR

EBR

Update:
    I am now working on making the caves less boring with procedural plants, rocks, normals mapped triplanar (if possible) and hopefully water if I can figure out how to do the last two. I have pretty much finished adding plants and rocks but still need to figure out water and how to add a normal mapped triplanar shader.

An early version of the procedural object placement
    Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 2.33.12 am.png

46. EBR

EBR

Update:
    Started developing the player and adding in items such as the lighter. Also changed the textures for the caves.

Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 7.24.26 pm.png

47. Jamcount

Jamcount

That looks fantastic! I can't wait to see this game tomorrow, the game is improving alot every day. By the way is this game going to be singleplayer, multiplayer or both?
    Keep up the great work,

-Jamcount;

48. EBR

EBR

Initially I think I will focus on single player, but I had an idea that players could play in small groups of 2-4. But I didn't really know how to implement that into the 'story' (a whole family get lost in a cave? :rolleyes:) . I may add both but at the moment I do not know.

49. Jamcount

Jamcount

If you want it to fit a story you could make it like... A plane crashes into a mountain and all the joined players falls into a cave and wakes up, and then they just got to survive.

-Jamcount;

inafield likes this.
  50. Jamcount

Jamcount

Are you going to upload it to the webplayer soon?

-Jamcount;