Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Consistent VFX graph crash on integrated cards when using DirectX

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by omg_peter, Mar 15, 2021.

1. omg_peter

omg_peter

There seems to be an editor and standalone crash that will occur if integrated graphics cards are "overloaded" with vfx graph objects. I've created a simple test scene and filed a bug over here (redacted: case # 1321904)

I've been unable to reproduce this issue when running with -force-glcore so I'm curious if anyone has ideas on how to detect when this situation might occur. I've tried detecting if there are memory issues but I think I should have plenty of memory.

I've previously had issues when using particle strips which will instantly crash integrated graphics cards. This is described over here with an open issue: https://forum.unity.com/threads/1277585-major-crash-on-some-gpus-if-trails-are-used.969552/

This case results in a similar log and crash dump where the log will contain many repeated instances of
    Code (CSharp):
    1. d3d11: failed to create buffer
    but I haven't been able to narrow down what specifically seems to cause the crash. Firing one of my example VFX objects will be fine but 6+ seem to create issues.

Edit: Tried using pix to capture more info about the crash but pix will convert DX11 calls to DX12 which seems to make the crash go away. I confirmed this by changing the graphics api to DX12 after being able to reliably repro with dx11 in editor and standalone. DX12 is "experimental" in unity 2019 so I'll need to do some more digging to see if it can be a solution.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hya,

Yes, sounds like a valid bug. It is possible that it is going to be resolved within particles strip bug as it seems to be the same bug that is reproducible in different circumstances. Probably won't be a huge of help, but from what you are saying seems that crash is related to DX11 only, also noticed that your drivers are outdated. So, updating them might help.

Furthermore, sharing fogbugz link will give others access to all information you share with us. So we cannot prevent others from viewing all your support cases and bug reports. Providing us a case number only is good enough.

Cheers