Search Unity

Connected Games: general feedback and questions

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by BHouse, Sep 13, 2018.

1. pantang

pantang

Sooner rather than later so I may have to consider a paid asset as my project is nearing completion, well apart from the networking side which should of been in from the ground up. Pun is certainly off the list as I don't want any extra costs after my purchase and id like my players to host there own without extra costs, so anything that relies on the "cloud" or using servers outside my own infrastructure is completely off limits.

Good to know they updated the ToS, will that be on the new networking solution as well? Might have to dive in, or pull the wallet out.

2. zhuchun

zhuchun

Then I would suggest Mirror and LiteNetLib, Mirror is a decent alternative to PUN and LiteNetLib is an open sourced C# transport layer which makes it really easy to work with

mischa2k and pantang like this.
  3. pantang

pantang

The only thing that puts me off with Mirror is the subscription to use the list Server so it might be worth a further look specially since ill probably grab the steamworks complete from the store shortly to save me a little time and it comes with some bits for it. I think I had previously looked at forge but didn't have much luck getting started. Just trying very hard to avoid any software as a service products.

4. zhuchun

zhuchun

I can understand. I made dedicated and non-dedicated server games and I do prefer the former as it gives players a better experience. The hardness of implementing our own service really kicked my ass, but it's the best way for us to get away from close-sourced / expensive commercial products. However, if you're making a first/short-term game, I would recommend focusing on the game itself.

5. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey, just want to point out that Mirror is completely free + open source.
    List server is a 100% optional extra service.
    While we fix Unity's UNET code, we aren't on their payroll so need to keep the lights on somehow :)

Dazo1985 and zhuchun like this.
  6. pantang

pantang

No I completely understand that part, Im just always cautious when it comes to services/subscriptions, would of happily paid a fixed price, and no doubt end up getting it regardless as mirror is looking like the current favourite.

7. IPHSTechnologies

IPHSTechnologies

Great info thanks for it.

8. GIRsMySpritAnimal

GIRsMySpritAnimal

what's the difference between using connected games multiplay? does the setup vary at all? what about costs?