Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Conforming a physical to logical layout for standalone executable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eco_bach, Aug 9, 2019.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

Anyone ever work with large format out put for standalone executables? I need to conform a 6400px by 720px layout to 3840px wide by 1440px high.
    The executable output (logical layout) is parsed by a video splitter which sends the signal to the actual physical 6400x720px display.
    Just not sure the best way to accomplish this without taking any additional performance hit.

See the attached. Not sure what the best way to approach this is...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Without knowing more about the format of the logical layout all I can give you is how I might do such a thing.

First off if this is some kind of CCTV system or emulation as I suspect it might be, perhaps you could make use of Unity DOTS to divide the more computationally expensive parts of this into separate threads. You could also reduce the image quality by taking the average number of pixels per section and translating it to a new image (effectively reducing pixel count). When a user wants to view a higher quality video of it they can select it and blow it up while everything else gets culled for the time being.

Lastly do you absolutely need to copy these images? Why not have five different windows placed proximally on the users screen which render from different parts of the longform physical image?

3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Thanks for the feedback. Uncharted territory for me really.
    Not sure how DOTs might help. Isn't performance gain via DOTs only measurable with large numbers of objects?
    After some thought was wondering if I simply need to do something with Render textures, Graphics.Blit and a custom shader?