Search Unity

Concurrency in Unity

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Garrett Cobarr, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Garrett Cobarr

Garrett Cobarr

This is my first post here in the forums I apologize if I am posting this question in the wrong place. If I am posting in the wrong category or I can find the answer on the Unity web site, just let me know.

I am very impressed by almost everything I have read about Unity. In fact, one of the things I am impressed by is the shear depth of documentation.

We have not purchased Unity yet but it is in serious consideration for a project we talking to a client about t this time. Our current projects are in Second Life, we have decided NOT to use Second Life for this project.

The question is about the number of clients, accounts, avatars players, how ever you conceive those simultaneously involved in a Unity project? In other words, concurrency. I understand this answer may depend on the hardware deployment.

Please let me know if I need to refine this question. Thanks.

2. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

It is currently feasible to develop "massive" multiplayer if you are using Unity as a client with a backend that you have either developed from scratch or using third party software -- there are several MMOs currently in development.

That said, you are right that it depends on hardware, but it also depends on many other things specific to your project -- as you probably guessed, there isn't a simple heuristic to determine how many concurrent users a generic game can support.