Search Unity

concept art

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iamthwee, Jun 12, 2018.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

how do you guys go about doing concept art for ya game? How to level up to AAA with out meticulously hand painting everything? im talking about cutting every conceivable corner where poss. Note this thread can be about character design and backdrops. . . (possibly taking 2d concepts to 3d protoypes but not important)

discuss. . .

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. Karearea

Karearea

-I do a lot of thumbnail sketches in a small moleskine type book
    -Block out the better designs in rough 3D
    -Print very lightly, sketch over with extra detail/ refinement
    -Scan, adjust levels to bring out the lineart
    -Colour block in Sketchbook Pro

Added advantage is that the basic proportions are already established in 3D when I start to model the game assets.

iamthwee likes this.
  3. iamthwee

iamthwee

thank you can you post any illustrative examples taking your pencil scans to photoshop/sketchbook or whatever, if poss breaking down each step?

do you separate tonal images first before painting colours?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

5. iamthwee

iamthwee

ok, restricting this to discussion only please to keep it alive. ta

unsure what rules are waiting clarification

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Typically, pretty much the same. I try to keep one book for each project. For organizing, I use DEVONthink pro to store concept, reference and game art.

iamthwee likes this.
  7. iamthwee

iamthwee

what are your thoughts on jumping straight into using a pen tablet as opposed to pen and paper?

8. iamthwee

iamthwee

i just checked out your behance stuff broski, that's top row stuff there! very interesting workflow,

Karearea likes this.
  9. iamthwee

iamthwee

@zombiegorilla am i allowed to post some images with questions regarding my workflow here or will it get locked, i think it would be beneficial to the topic at hand?

10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Doesn’t matter really. The point is explore and iterarate. However you can best do that is up to you. I, quite often, start in blender blocking out silhouettes, then go back. But mostly pen and paper first. Starting digitally is totally fine, the only challenge is to avoid the desire to refine too much at conception phase. Some folks are really good at making that distinction.... I’m not, so I try to stick to pen and paper because refining isn’t an option.

Karearea likes this.
  11. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Let’s keep it minimal, this isn’t the place to show work, we have that already.

12. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks!

I should have clarified earlier, but the main point of the workflow is that you start thinking in 3D as early and rapidly as possible. The benefit is also that you don’t spend too much time focusing on making sure the perspective in your sketch is correct, but instead concentrate on the design.

Only reason I don’t use a tablet for the sketching is because I find I start fighting the tool- Sure it works for other people though.

iamthwee likes this.
  13. iamthwee

iamthwee

i thought this was a decent watch to be fair, what do you guys think?

Teila likes this.
  14. Teila

Teila

Watched it twice and had my artist daughters watch it. Excellent talk and it has nothing to do with concept art being dead, just the opposite actually. He explains why he chose that name at the very end during the questioning.

15. iamthwee

iamthwee

Aww that's great Teila, I'm glad you got something out of it. See, I'm from the uk and occasionally, I pick a magasine called 'concept artists' and I do admit to enjoy flicking through and seeing the stunning visuals and alien/surreal landscapes, character concepts people create.

I guess for the longest part, I figured it was all a lot of hard work, graft and hand painting from scratch. Either that or 3d modelling an entire scene and rendering. I didn't realise a lot was to do with 'smoke and mirrors' compositing and borrowing photos from, well, 'google images.'

An example which I thought was very creative is here on artstation, sometimes I go there to get inspiration.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5yKeO

P.S the unity blog regarding the 'book of the dead' concept art is worth a gander too.

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/06/01/book-of-the-dead-concept-art/

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  16. Tzan

Tzan

Interview with Craig Mullins in April 2018

He has a new class on Schoolism.
    https://www.schoolism.com/school.php

When the Sijun forum was the hip place to be in the early 2000's I was there when he was.

iamthwee likes this.
  17. Teila

Teila

We watched it a couple of weeks ago. :) I am happy you found it and put it up to the share. It really is a good video.

iamthwee likes this.