Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Post any Unity related small art work in this thread for feedback.

John3D and balaam like this.
  2. Duskling

Duskling

I dont think this was a nessasary change, I liked be able to see it all in one thread... Okay then. Carry on.

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We'll see how it goes. If it does not work then I will merge the threads ;)

I thought that having a separate art / game thread would lead to some more indepth analysis and critique. I hope it ends up happening.

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

Does the art has to be showcased only in case that it uses unity and not any external renders,engines?

5. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

It would be much better if it was. If you are doing a high poly and are bringing it into unity then it would be great to see both side by side.

6. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

6thousend ~ Upcoming RTS-RPG Diary
    Actual Alltime Webplayer: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88222575/6thousend_playing_field_test.html

Ok, so after reading much rules and news I hope and think it's ok to post here - because some people asked me to put webplayers online to follow the progress of 6thousend. I don't know how to update here and I also think it does not make sense, so for general updates visit my blog shown in my signature, please.

6thousend will be an free, offline rts-rpg for pc - influenced by Blade Runner's asian touch and the quietness of 2010. You will start on a single plate (completely darkness, just some kind of bengal firework) and be able to do housing and terraforming (after hard hard work hehe), hack and slash oriented stuff. This way you will build your own world. Sure this concept will force to be a mmorpg later (later means around next 1000 years after reading more tutorials and having more frustration with not working things).

Of course there will be a character moving around in this whole mess. The character will hopefully have a completely new way of handling. Controlled by mouse, but not only stupid walk-stop. I hope to get rid of my idea to control the character more detailed by mouse. concept is done and the technical part is not that impossible in my mind.

2012*July*26
    The emergency plate has 4 cells atm. You could choose (yellow hover) and click them (red mark). Clicking a cell will open the building menue. At the moment the aviable plates are set to 5000 for testing. To place a new plate just click next to a plate to place another one. The final game will have extremly other dimenstions. This dimenstions (really small plate with only 4 cells) ist just for testing.

Snapping functionality and rts building placement
    It's not a scriptbased snapping and placement function. No use of raycasthit, no position counting stuff or something else. Every new placed plate is independend through prefab swapping, to avoid broadcast effects from clone to clone. The dummy buildings are prefabs that could have additional scripts on later to force counting up values or activate other effects.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  7. Priske415

Priske415

Some bits and pieces

8. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I think it's a good idea, myself, but I'm not sure about the execution.

A lot of my stuff isn't just art, or code - it's usually a mixture thereof. While that would fall into the purview of the other thread, the question has to be asked...does it?

Without a webplayer, my gameplay system shots are just that - screenshots. That's art. That belongs here.

I think this is a potential source of confusion with this system. I applaud the effort to split things up to be easier to watch, but I think it handles better all in the same place. My two cents on that one.

Anyways, I'll post some art in this thread a bit later - I need to work on treasure chests tonight.

10. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

I can't know but guess it's kind of asian touched topology. I had that stuff in school, don't know the right english term - in german it's translated "frontal dashed face"... lol sorry but it's called that.

11. nipoco

nipoco

@Priske415

The hand is ok. But the whole head structure looks pretty off IMO.
    Important rule for modeling and sculpting. Have always a rock-solid base before you start with details.

unity_we0U9oZPRD5-HQ likes this.
  12. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

As promised...a very basic, Zelda-like chest. I need to build a latch for the lid, and create an icon for an 'opening' action when the player gets close enough.

I'm also working on redoing my grass. Again. Grass is so hard...

Attached Files:

13. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

So I think this belongs here, but please tell me if it does not.

Logo for an almost done game:

Let me know what you love or hate.

14. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Head seems F***ed up.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  15. nipoco

nipoco

It's cute and all. But you have dropped shadows for eggs that floating in the air... And those shadows pointing all in a different direction, which makes the whole picture inconsistent and wrong looking.

16. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

You've stolen cuppsters thunder!! ;)

Any who, should be interesting to see if people stick to the new format, good call on the kick starter ball buster :)

17. cupsster

cupsster

:D carry on, np

18. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

ehm...no?!!!
    Number 1 rule is to avoid n-gons. triangles doesn't matter, they are even needed if you want a good deformation on organic models. Remember your mesh will be triangled anyways in any engine you use!

theANMATOR2b and randomperson42 like this.
  19. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

calling the test finished. Still no good normals, no good specular. one texture 1024 x1024 for interior and one for exterior.

$sci fi house.jpg

webplayer

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  20. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Very Nice, Schlumpfsack!

I miss the tiny version so we can see it "from a distance" like you had in a previous version.

21. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

as you wish :)

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Anyone in need for a car? I modeled this one the other day but have no personal use for it. I guess I could just finished it up (texture) and put it on the Asset Store :)

Attached Files:

DBarlok likes this.
  23. abaky

abaky

What program did you use to model the car?

Very nice topology btw :D

24. impheris

impheris

its a good car for a simple car game :)

25. Goolygot

Goolygot

Trying to make pixelart for the first time and I made grass and several pieces of a fence.

$Fence.jpg

26. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Wow! that is amazing! I have been trying everyday to do a car but it keeps turning out meh, haha i also noticed you live less than an hour away from me.

27. nipoco

nipoco

Nice one. I really like that design.

28. Farfarer

Farfarer

What? This is entirely incorrect.

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'd fix it up and put it on the asset store - either free or fee, but the asset store is a good way to distribute it.

Sweet ride.

30. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Yay!

Soo cool.

QualixInteractive likes this.
  31. saymoo

saymoo

a few ngons or triangles her and there in a mesh isn't a problem for any modern engine (like Unity). But keep it as less as possible on a mesh.

32. brn

brn

The main consideration from the hardware's point of view is whether the data that makes up the asset is continues or fragmented. Breaks in Normals, UV's Vertex colors ect, can all contribute to extra data being created or stopping the flow of the hardware. The same goes for thrashing texture caches by creating data or shaders that sample all over the place rather than in a flowing manner. Working in quads can be helpful to maintain the orientation of the hidden edges. If it is consistent, in theory this will help with Tri-stripping flow and avoid the generation of degenerate vertices. In my experience though, Tri stripping algorithms have a mind of their own and will cross over a well made mesh making a mess of things anyhow.

If the mesh construction is continuous, clean in terms of edge orientation to avoid lighting issues or jagged shapes and has good visible flows for deformation, you're not doing too badly. Everything else just comes down to personal aesthetic preference and budget constraints.

33. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

But they can be quite useful if you ...or DX11 powered unity will subdiv your model http://lightwiki.net/mediawiki/images/2/2b/Ngons1.gif

Number 1 rule of organic modelling is DON'T TALK ABOUT ORGANIC MODELLING ! :D

sbroscious likes this.
  34. Farfarer

Farfarer

It's always a good idea to avoid ngons where you can. Break 'em down into quads and tris when you're done with that part of the mesh.

Otherwise they can cause a world of pain when editing the model and especially passing the objects from one 3D app to another. It's just generally "cleaner" and good form.

On high poly meshes, sod it. If it works, then it's no problem (this is not the case for base meshes used in sculpting, though - keep them as quads).

35. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

It really looks like a future town in the game borderland that was missing... Really cool...

Too bad I need much cleaner style - if not I would ask you to do some housing for me...

36. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Just a quick model...haven't modelled anything in a while :D

Unity Render

37. Christiaan

Christiaan

Very nice work, your texture work is amazing

38. galent

galent

Agreed!

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

phonk and rame16 like this.
  40. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

@dogzerx Very cool, I like it!

41. Duskling

Duskling

42. Blacklight

Blacklight

Gawd, I love your style!

43. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

How do I do that? Seriously.

44. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Thanks!

There still are some areas of improvement,but I'm getting better :D

What should I model next?

45. ivanzu

ivanzu

Radiator from 1930s still wip.

DBarlok and joytravels like this.
  46. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, I broke down, and took a photo of some local, 100% Texan grass (and dirt, but I like my dirt better.), tiled it, mucked with it to make it tile a bit better, and am using it as my grass tile now.

I think this look a lot better than my old rendered grass; certainly, it's more believable, if not as stylized.

Given how hard this is for me, a little C&C is appreciated.

Attached Files:

DBarlok likes this.
  47. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The grass, given the current context, looks too vibrantly green. Should it be muted or have more information in the R B color channels?

48. FlorianSchmoldt

FlorianSchmoldt

UNITE !

done in 3dsMax and Mudbox :)

49. Duskling

Duskling

Ha!

Love the censors.

Flickayy likes this.
  50. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I think it could use more blue, personally...but I think I should mute it as well. I'll get started on that.

EDIT: ...And done. I did both, reducing the overall value of the image, and increasing the blue channel subtly until it meshed better with the trees, rocks, path, and everything else.

Now this looks like a RPG, not like a JRPG. ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012