Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Completely Dynamic Global Illumination With HD Glossy/Specular Reflections (No Baking!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by brilliantgames, Mar 19, 2015.

1. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for this info. I do think the sphere idea is interesting, though it would be limited to how complex you want things to be..

2. JecoGames

JecoGames

Definitely. It woudnt be too good for boxy objects which is why naughty dog only really used it for characters. Still its a pretty cheap technique and it looks pretty good when used correctly!

3. Dmitry45

Dmitry45

Is there any news?

CaseJnr likes this.
  4. CaseJnr

CaseJnr

The news is brilliantgames is very busy working as a full time game developer. Its hard for him to get the time to finish this. Everybody should stop being so impatient. When he said he will release it very soon, he will. He doesn't need to be reminded about it every couple of months ;)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

6. Mauri

Mauri

He likely wont.

7. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

That's unfortunate, and perhaps a bit greedy, since Unity development is about making things available for other developers (though I'd still pay at least $100 for this asset) and the democratization of game development. Either way, this is a great looking asset, and I just want to be able to use it!

Mauri likes this.
  8. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

angry birds and other S***ty 2D games made millions ! and people still crying about this !

"Unfortunately this shader is too valuable to give away. I have been working on it for years and I am saving its unique algorithms to possibly sell to a game engine company."

ahahaha nothing is too good enough!,

9. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

"In a Facebook Conversation he said:
    Unfortunately this shader is too valuable to give away. I have been working on it for years and I am saving its unique algorithms to possibly sell to a game engine company."

You asked if you could have this asset for free before release.. And that was my response, strangely followed by you getting rather upset and blocking me for not sharing years of work with you for free. As well if I sold it to a game engine I would still want to sell on the asset store. It all depends how things go. There are some huge decisions I have to make about this GI while working 12 hours a day on an RPG.. People trying to burn this thread is not going to help anything. :)

one_one likes this.
  10. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

if is this true "You asked if you could have this asset for free before release" i must say apologize. sorry for that.

11. Mauri

Mauri

Just to clear this up: I never asked to get this asset for free. That was a misunderstanding from both sides. "it's too valuable to give away" and "possibly sell to a game engine company" sounded to me like we normal Unity Devs won't see this in the future (which is more than likely to happen). That being said, I think we just have to wait and hope that people like sonicether come up with their real-time GI implementations in the (hopefully) near future.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Nateply likes this.
  12. Elecman

Elecman

Will this work in a cockpit environment? Using a static sky cubemap would be ok. If this would work, I would definitely be interested.

13. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

Yea, if it was merely a misunderstanding, then my bad, been really enjoying following your progress, just hoping to one day enjoy using it!