Search Unity

Compile error in new project

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by weedfreak, Jun 13, 2022.

1. weedfreak

weedfreak

I started a new project in 2020LTS and get 2 errors when the project is first built, before I add any assets or code, just an empty project.. Both errors are red ! errors with the time stamp but no other information. Attempting run the empty project or adding something to run produces the message fix all compiler errors.

I tried installing a later version LTS editor but get the same problem. I can see no way to find more info on the errors, there is no data other than the time stamp.

orkaissad likes this.
  2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Make sure your log console selector buttons are enabled. See this graphic:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/cant-add-script-component.632746/#post-4239121

https://forum.unity.com/threads/update-function-not-working.953477/#post-6215873

It could be this noise:

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

About the fastest way I have found to make a project and avoid all this noise is to create the project, then as soon as you see the files appear, FORCE-STOP (hard-kill) Unity (with the Activity Manager or Task Manager), then go hand-edit the Packages/manifest.json file as outlined in the above post, then reopen Unity.

Sometimes the package system gets borked from all this unnecessary churn and requires the package cache to be cleared:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53145919/unity3d-package-cache-errors/69779122

Remember: NOBODY here memorizes error codes. That's not a thing. The error code is absolutely the least useful part of the error. It serves no purpose at all. Forget the error code. Put it out of your mind.

The complete error message contains everything you need to know to fix the error yourself.

The important parts of the error message are:

- the description of the error itself (google this; you are NEVER the first one!)
    - the file it occurred in (critical!)
    - the line number and character position (the two numbers in parentheses)
    - also possibly useful is the stack trace (all the lines of text in the lower console window)

Always start with the FIRST error in the console window, as sometimes that error causes or compounds some or all of the subsequent errors. Often the error will be immediately prior to the indicated line, so make sure to check there as well.

All of that information is in the actual error message and you must pay attention to it. Learn how to identify it instantly so you don't have to stop your progress and fiddle around with the forum.

3. weedfreak

weedfreak

My point is the is no other info in the error message, just the time. console selector buttons are enabled, unwanted packages are not installed and entering safe mode during start up is pointless as I have no idea which of unity scripts borking on building a new empty project.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Got this here too. Found a few posts on various sites all citing fixes with no relevance to what the current issue is. I've not fired up Unity in a while but now any 2020 version kicks out this 2 blank errors on new project safe mode crap.

I had written a ton of debugging and testing but in the end it's all moot. Clean OS, Clean Unity install. You can't even install a Editor without it crashing much less worry about creating a new project for it to give you the blank errors and throw you into a loop of pointless nothing.

It's been years and Unity still feels and behaves like duct tape and chewing gum wadded together to make something that does nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2022
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Lots of posts about this (or similar) and no fix...two blank errors on loading old projects or creating new. Exit safe mode...segfault...it's like Unity is made of tissue paper and someone sneezed on it. Tested on Windows as well, UnityHub has stopped responding...OUTSTANDING!

Download failed: error.1e000065.Cipher functions.OPENSSL_internal.BAD_DECRYPT.../../third_party/boringssl/src/crypto/fipsmodule/cipher/e_aes.c.1068. 53946003301256.error.1000008b.SSL routines.OPENSSL_internal.DECRYPTION_FAILED_OR_BAD_RECORD_MAC.../../third_party/boringssl/src/ssl/tls_record.cc.298.

The jank never ends...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2022
    KristoferKwan likes this.
  6. NTMs

NTMs

I have the exakt same prolem and no idea how to fix it