Search Unity

Comparing custom parameters

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by benjaminoutram, Dec 16, 2020.

1. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

I have an event "LevelComplete" with many parameters, including 'level number' and others such as 'number of deaths'. How can I graph 'level number' against 'number of deaths', for example?

It seems this question has been asked before in 2018 (and many times prior to that), eg here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/in-...s-broken-into-categories.541616/#post-3574972

Am I missing something? Is this not possible?

Regards,
    Ben

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unfortunately it's still not possible, sad to say. We are re-engineering the Analytics service using deltaDNA technology over the next couple of years and I am making the case early on for this support. I have already brought it up. So we likely won't see it if implemented until sometime next year https://unity.com/products/deltadna

3. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

Curious - it seems like a pretty important and obvious feature.

I don't get why you'd want to see events plotted over time, and not the correlations between parameters of those events, for example, level number and number of deaths. How, for example, can I focus on one level and look at the distribution of times it took to complete that level, or which items where consistently collected/not collected? I understand that you'd want to see an increase in engagement over time, but what about all the in-game details? Since I want to track different versions of the game, I have an custom event 'level complete' with a parameter 'version'. Then, my game has 150 levels - and I have to manually set up each step of the funnel... why??? Maybe I'm just using it all wrong of have completely the wrong end of the stick?

I'm Baffled.

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Your observations are correct. The answer to "why" is because he haven't been able to allocate the resources to do so, due to other priorities.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  5. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

Thanks for your reply. I hope this side of things gets some attention.
    In the mean time I guess there are other options available.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, you would want to look at deltaDNA, but I'm not sure of the pricing.

7. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

It seems that actually YOU CAN do this in Unity Analytics! Much to my present surprise!

I set up a funnel with my custom even 'LevelComplete' which has many parameters such as 'level number', 'number of deaths' and 'stars collected' etc. On the funnel, I set up my 150 levels in ascending order of 'level number'. The default view is of 'conversion rate', but you can change this to look at an average for that level of any of your custom parameters! So now I can indeed see 'level number' against 'deaths' as I wanted.

upload_2020-12-27_16-6-40.png

8. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

xjjon likes this.
  9. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Funnels only track user progression. They would not allow you to track all the events sent by a single user, for example.

10. benjaminoutram

benjaminoutram

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply.

Yes it seems so - but I'm guessing, as in the graph I posted above, you can show averages of parameters associated with the levels, as shown.

One questions I have is, however, if players skip a level and continue to complete subsequent levels, will these data be represented in the funnel? Or does it only accept events happening in the sequence specified from the funnel? For example, if the player completes level 1, then level 3, then level 2, will data for levels 1,2,3 be represented, or just for levels 1 and 2?

11. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Funnels require that the levels be completed in order, with no skipping. In your example, only levels 1 and 2 would be recorded.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021