Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official Collaborate will soon be upgraded to Plastic SCM

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by marie-unity, Oct 26, 2021.

1. SuperRaffles

SuperRaffles

Hey Ryan,

You know, the funny thing is, my biggest concerns about Plastic were actually alleviated - it is possible to retrocompile to 2019.3.21 for Android, even though the project is now on 2019.3.38, which is excellent. I was also able to cure the extremely slow editor by turning off auto refresh. It probably has something to do with my project being quite big, with thousands of files, and around 20 gigs.

However it has to be said, my experience so far with Plastic SCM has been a rather frustrating one, and not even close to as good/smooth as collab. Again, I hate to be a negative nancy and I really don't like moaning, and overall my experience with Unity has been great. But man, Plastic SCM not so much.

Here are a few significant bones of contention.

1 - Unity now frequenty freezes/crashes editing/recompiling scripts. This never happened with collab.

2 - Renaming a prefab causes Plastic SCM to constantly throw error messages, stating the file doesn't exist etc.

3 - This was the worst one - I have a folder called archive that was just reserve assets, assets not being used but might be at a later date etc. I added this to collabignore originally, and it was also in ignore.conf for Plastic.

Yet today Plasticm SCM randomly decided to mark every file in there as "Added", totalling 15 gigs. There was nothing I could do as it was in ignore, and "add to ignore" was subsequently greyed out. This caused me to go over the alloted storage quota, and I then had to delete the entire folder from Plastic SCM and my project.

Is this something your'e aware of? Is there any way round it?

Cheers.

hippocoder likes this.
  2. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @SuperRaffles, thank you so much for your feedback. Turning off Auto-refresh is recommended when working with larger projects like yours. I'm sorry that your experience with Plastic SCM has been less than ideal so far.

1. Do you have any stack traces of these crashes that you could share with us? We just released v.1.14.18/1.15.18 which addressed a very common Editor hang/freeze on startup and when entering Play mode. Have you upgraded to that version yet to see if it resolves your issue?

2. We are aware of an issue where renaming a duplicated prefab results in Plastic throwing an error that the file has been exclusively checked out by the same user that edited it. We're working on a fix for that issue. Does renaming prefabs consistently throw this "file doesn't exist" error? Can you share repro steps for it?

3. That's awful! If you are overbilled because of this issue then please message support@codicesoftware.com so that we can reimburse you. I've seen reports of the Unity Plugin not respecting the ignore file in rare instances, which I'm working to nail down repro steps for. In some cases, opening the Plastic SCM client (by opening the Cog menu in the Plastic SCM window and pressing Launch Plastic SCM) refreshes the workspace to use the correct ignore settings again. We're still trying to find a repro for this scenario. Any help you can provide that reproduces this issue would be very appreciated.

3. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

Not proving to be a helpful move.

My Safe Mode upgrade process (which seems impossible to stop or pause) loops endlessly on "[Collab] Collab service is deprecated and has been replaced with PlasticSCM" errors.

THIS forum post outlines a supposed fix, but it does not seem to work in my case.

tone

4. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

If the same "Collab service is deprecated..." error keeps appearing after disabling Collab from the Services panel, could you file a support ticket for us so we can have a closer look at the issue?