Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinema 4D support? Importing models, characters, textures?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pdrummond, Jun 23, 2005.

1. pdrummond

pdrummond

I'm interested in using Unity but wondered if anyone can tell me how well it integrates with Cinema 4D. I understand that Unity will import 3DS files, which I can create, but it would be good to hear from anyone using Cinema 4D.
    The Unity Whitepaper suggests that animations, boned characters and textures can be imported from 3D applications such as 3DS and Maya. Does this apply to Cinema 4D too, or will I have to use some other application as a halfway house to get content into Unity? (Please don't say Blender :()
    Any information you can provide is much appreciated.

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Yeah, no problem.

If you have Unity installed, look at this link:
    file:///Applications/Unity/Documentation/Manual/Imported%20Scenes.html

But basically, the answer right now is to export to FBX from Cinema 4D. I've heard rumors that something more "native" might be in the future... but that's what you can do now.

You may want to just try the 15-day trial. You don't have to request a trial SN or put in contact info or anything, just download and start trying it.

Cheers,
    -Jon

3. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yup, the FBX export route works well. I have the 3D guru here at work using Max export his animations/bones/movements etc for me out in FBX format and everything comes in perfectly fine. Unity has got a good range of 3D tools to use to create content and it's only going to get better.

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Also, I'd suggest either Cheetah3D or Silo (for fast polygon modelling) before using Blender, but that's just IMHO. And welcome to the Unity forums!

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Importing from cinema 4D is possible using the fbx format.
    There is at least one person who successfully exported a skinned character with animation.

http://www.otee.dk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90&highlight=cinema+4d

There are some problems with importing animations with multiple takes.
    (A run animation, walk animation etc on the same character.)
    This is a limitation of cinema 4D but we will have a workaround for it in unity 1.0.1 which will be released next week.

6. pdrummond

pdrummond

Thanks for all the info. I'll do some experimenting now.

7. arton

arton

I'm very happy with the Cinema 4D support, as long as you have at least 8.5, which supports fbx exporting. Bringing animations in is a little tedious, but not as bad as Torque (for instance). It just requires saving out seperate fbxs for root pose, and each animation. Then the animations have to be renamed (export fbx as text and search within for "takes", just replace anything called "C4D Animation Take") and assembled onto the root pose within Unity. I believe they'll be streamlining the last couple steps, which should make it a much better experience.

8. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

1.0.1 removes the last few steps. (Beta will be released in a few hours)
    You can name a file with @ eg.
    monster@run and all animation clips will be named run instead of the cinema 4D's default take name "Cinema 4D take".