Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cinema 4D import missing several types of objects, would like to collaborate with internal dev team

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by llealloo, Jan 15, 2020.

1. llealloo

llealloo

Hi! I am using Unity 2017.4.28f1 and C4D R21.

The Cinema4D importer misses several objects that are supported when the user manually exports to fbx for import in unity:

Cloner Objects set to object->spline mode
    Spline Warp Deformers (probably same issue as above)
    Level Of Detail Objects
    Subdivision Surface Objects
    Instance objects

It seems like the cache is not being built properly? I have managed to fix some of these issues but others still allude me.

Can someone put me in contact with the dev or team who wrote the c4d python integration plugin (which is a python FBX exporter?) I am talking with Maxon and trying to resolve these issues, but it's hard to debug because I don't know what commands Unity is calling internally.

I would like to help!

Here is my thread over at Maxon dev forum...
    https://plugincafe.maxon.net/topic/...t-python-plugin-missing-some-types-of-objects

2. thomaschollet

thomaschollet

Unity Technologies

Hi, Unity performs the conversion by invoking C4D with the following arguments :
    - UnityC4DtoFBX -src [source file path] - dst [ temp output fbx file path ] - textureSearchPath [ path to project assets folder ] -out Temp/UnityC4DFBXout
    If I remember correctly the -out argument is used to let Unity know that the export is complete so probably not needed if you want to invoke this from the command line.
    I guess Maxon's staff can help you better that I can but let me know if there's anything else you need. Thanks!