Search Unity

Changes to the WebGL loader and templates introduced in Unity 2020.1

Discussion in 'Web' started by alexsuvorov, Jan 28, 2020.

1. subjectdenied

subjectdenied

there is an issue with unitywebgl.loader.js and MacOS BigSur. the regex for parsing the version of MacOS errors, and the loading never finishes. I see this with Safari shipping with BigSur, didn't test Chrome or Firefox

mmuller likes this.
  2. siliwangi

siliwangi

Can you share for nginx?, tried the following :
    Code (csharp):
    2. location / {
    3.             root   html;
    4.             autoindex on;
    5.             autoindex_localtime on;
    6.             index  index.html index.htm;
    8.             location ~* \.(loader.js)$ {
    9.             add_header Content-Type application/javascript;
    10.             }
    12.             location ~* \.(wasm)$ {
    13.             add_header Content-Type application/wasm;
    14.             }
    16.             location ~* \.(data.gz|symbols.json.gz)$ {
    17.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    18.             add_header Content-Type application/octet-stream;
    19.             }
    20.             location ~* \.(wasm.gz)$ {
    21.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    22.             add_header Content-Type application/wasm;
    23.             }
    24.             location ~* \.(framework.js.gz|js.gz)$ {
    25.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    26.             add_header Content-Type application/octet-stream;
    27.             }
    28.         }
    But getting the following from firefox :
    Code (csharp):
    2. The script from “http://localhost/test/Build/WebGL.framework.js.gz” was loaded even though its MIME type (“application/octet-stream”) is not a valid JavaScript MIME type.
    3. wasm streaming compile failed: TypeError: Response has unsupported MIME type
    4. falling back to ArrayBuffer instantiation

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  3. ina

ina

this worked
    using brotli compression / chrome
    Apache

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. Zephus

Zephus

@alexsuvorov I would really appreciate any kind of update on this.

As of right now the default settings don't work for both local builds and most servers. You can't just build your games and upload them to itch.io or any other website anymore. You have to mess with the compression settings, which seems like a really bad idea. Not to mention that it's really hard to find out what's even wrong.

The default settings for builds should just work, and as far as I see it, these settings can't stay like this moving forward.

5. ina

ina

Should probably have a checkbox that indicates whether one is using Apache or IIS server to automate the .htaccess generation

hansadler and Hypertectonic like this.
  6. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Is there any update on this issue? It has been months and even in Unity 2020.1.6 this problem still persists.
    Is there an issue tracker for this?

karmatha likes this.
  7. siliwangi

siliwangi

Found out working nginx rules for Unity WebGL 2020.1++
    Code (csharp):
    2. location / {
    3.             root   html;
    4.             autoindex on;
    5.             autoindex_localtime on;
    6.             index  index.html index.htm;
    8.             location ~* ^.*\.(js)$ {
    9.             types {}
    10.             default_type application/javascript;
    11.             }
    13.             location ~* ^.*\.(wasm)$ {
    14.             types {}
    15.             default_type application/wasm;
    16.             }
    17.             location ~* ^.*\.(wasm.gz)$ {
    18.             gunzip on;
    19.             gzip off;
    20.             types {}
    21.             default_type application/wasm;
    22.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    23.             }
    24.             location ~* ^.*\.(framework.js.gz|js.gz)$ {
    25.             gunzip on;
    26.             gzip off;
    27.             types {}
    28.             default_type application/javascript;
    29.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    30.             }
    32.             location ~* ^.*\.(data.gz|symbols.json.gz)$ {
    33.             gunzip on;
    34.             gzip off;
    35.             types {}
    36.             default_type application/octet-stream;
    37.             add_header Content-Encoding gzip;
    38.             }
    40.         }
    Clear the browser cache and reload the page.

8. xcsasdc

xcsasdc

Why is. Wasm loaded twice?

JamesArndt likes this.
  9. kenshin

kenshin

Hi all, I want to upgrade our project from 2019.4 to 2020 to improve the webgl loading&startup time.
    Are there any noticeable improvements using 2020 instead of 2019.4?

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. karmatha

karmatha

I'd also like to vote on this

Filip8429 likes this.
  11. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

The Unity page loading flow has been rewritten in Unity 2020.1. That parallelizes page download process better, definitely recommend updating!

I cannot reproduce this issue in Unity 2020.1.9f1. Can you try updating?

12. kenshin

kenshin

Thanks a lot for the feedback @jukka_j

13. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

Sure thing I can reproduce it easily. Using Unity 2020.1.9
    Simply created a Universal Render Pipeline project
    Changed the WebGL publish settings to use File names as hashes and Brotli as compession format.
    Build settings -> Build button

The output is:
    64a2dd3d1e5e18e1182aa897fbb86203.br
    20648f7ddf35a283cef44385ee277c22.br
    d2263bb9f51fa0474d63392695955db3.br
    d18623fc4c1dbde91a5ca66c62f9e1af.js

I expected a .data.br, .js.br and wasm.br
    What I got is all just .br

With the server configuration for an IIS server copied from the documentation this won't work because it is expecting the .data.br / .wasm.br / .js.br extension to be there.

Now I built one without filenames as hashes then it is simply:
    .data.br
    .framework.js.br
    .loader.js
    .wasm.br

These can be served because they have their extension as the configuration file has it set up.

De-Panther likes this.
  14. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

This is caused due to a misconfiguration of the hosting server. It should serve the .wasm file with HTTP response header "Content-Type: application/wasm". If that is not present, the .wasm file may be downloaded twice.

Thanks, can you report this as a bug, so our QA will take a full pass on it. It looks like the fix that landed is then not seamless.

Edan-Smith likes this.
  15. Aoedipus

Aoedipus

In the interest of others who like myself may not read carefully enough at times, I'll risk restating what should have been more obvious to me (since it's pointed out clearly here: https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/webgl-deploying.html). I ported a webGL project to 2020.1, and adapted web templates... all fine (though for a bit I was having strange UI/textfield scaling/display issues I didn't realize were related to the new template adjusting for Retina display by default if a player is within certain height/width bounds unless rendering is forced to a standard dpi: 'devicePixelRatio: 1'). To the main point, I started twiddling compression settings in the player and .htaccess (Apache) files to try and get Brotli properly working on my ISP, without much luck, and for far longer than I'd care to admit. Finally I realized I was testing on an unsecured (http://) server, which caused many of the errors earlier referenced in this thread. As soon as I made it secure (https://), things began working as intended, using the relevant bits from here: (https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/webgl-server-configuration-code-samples.html)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  16. MaskedMouse

MaskedMouse

I reported the bug, case 1287032

17. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

Thank you, this is very much appreciated!

18. Nials

Nials

So when I build my WebGL project after updating I see things have changed a lot. I am getting a Promise error due to an Invalid or unexpected token... This is code generated by Unity that is throwing this error? Why doesn't this work by default? I would assume it would at least create the promise correctly.

The below is the error in the name.loader.js file.

Code (JavaScript):
    1.     function i() {
    2.         return new Promise(function(e, t) {
    3.             var n = document.createElement("script");
    4.             n.src = u.frameworkUrl,
    5.             n.onload = function() {
    6.                 delete n.onload,
    7.                 e(unityFramework)  //THIS LINE IS THE UNEXPECTED TOKEN
    8.             }
    9.             ,
    10.             document.body.appendChild(n),
    11.             u.deinitializers.push(function() {
    12.                 document.body.removeChild(n)
    13.             })
    14.         }
    15.         )
    16.     }

19. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

I believe the real issue is due to a misconfigured web server that is not hosting the files with proper Content-Encoding: gzip or br field to enable compression.

To test this hypothesis, try disabling compression and see if that helps?

If that is not the case, can you take a screenshot of the full error, and zip up a project to test?

20. Nials

Nials

It appears that might be the case as the other option does run. Things have changed how you access the UnityLoader. How do you recommend I can get access to the UnityLoader.System info so I can check if the user is on a mobile device or not?

Thanks for the help!

21. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

The `Module` object is present on the `unityInstance` variable, so it will be `unityInstance.Module.SystemInfo` where `unityInstance` is returned in the Promise from `createUnityInstance`.

However to check if one is running on mobile or not, accessing `SystemInfo` is not necessary. See `index.html` which does

if (/iPhone|iPad|iPod|Android/i.test(navigator.userAgent)) {
    // on mobile
    }

22. Nials

Nials

Thanks so much! I am not too experience with HTML and JS so these new changes are taking me awhile to dig through. I really appreciate the help. While the changes are very different I do like how it is giving more control to the user.

23. reitzensteinm

reitzensteinm

Hi,

Brotli compression breaks the loading bars. It started in 2020.1 and is still present in the 2020.2 beta.

I wrote this up as a bug report, but I haven't had the confirmation email which I believe is automated... so I think the system has just eaten it. Not sure where you should go to report a bug report in the bug report mechanism.

This is a completely standard 3D template test project, built without compression:

https://sideque.st/asteroid/tbb

This is that same project with Brotli compression (different web server, so the brotli headers are correct):

https://killstreak.tv/tbb/

The loading bar never is in a state except for 0% and 90%, i.e. no download progress is being reported.

This isn't related to the Brotli setting in the Unity project; the same result happens if you build as compression: none and manually compress with Brotli using the correct headers.

Given all the errors in this new system, would it perhaps have been possible to roll it out as an experimental feature allowing rollback? Unity has a habit of removing or deprecating features before the new thing is ready and it makes life as a developer really crappy.

Edan-Smith likes this.
  24. amateurd

amateurd

Have you tried it on FireFox?

25. Aoedipus

Aoedipus

Here's link to a workaround - https://github.com/AirConsole/xmlhttprequest-length-computable
    and the thread discussing it - https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-progress-bar-not-updating.384375/

amateurd likes this.
  26. reitzensteinm

reitzensteinm

Wow, so 2020.1 and these template changes shipped with it as a known issue? That's pretty bad... if these big changes aren't going to be tested, just don't do them! The old system was OK.

The workaround seems to work, thank you!

hippocoder and Aoedipus like this.
  27. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

If you read the page https://github.com/AirConsole/xmlhttprequest-length-computable linked to above, it immediately at the top of the page writes

---
    Why do you need this library?

Google Chrome (as of version 64) can not estimate the total download size of XMLHTTPRequests when content-encoding: gzip is set, even if the content-length header is set. This means that if you want to have a nice UI that listens to onProgress events of an XMLHTTPRequest, the UI doesn't update until the complete file is downloaded.

---

The same issue has been discussed in https://forum.unity.com/threads/onp...encoding-headers-are-set.760805/#post-6387132

This issue has been confirmed to be a bug in Chrome browser: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=463622

Chrome decided to close the issue without fixing the behavior in the browser.

This is a recurring issue that we face with web builds at Unity - users are commonly not able to distinguish between Unity bugs and browser bugs, and they incorrectly blame Unity for all browsers issues. That is understandable, but there is only so much that we can do. We try to work against this by building defensive code to detect and highlight issues when browsers are to blame, but it is not possible in all cases.

28. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

I am not able to reproduce this behavior on the page. Using Google Chrome Version 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit), and clicking on Shift-F5 to refresh the page several times, the progress bar does animate in each case. See http://clb.confined.space/dump/2020-10-31 09-03-47.mkv

Note that if you are using Data Caching, then the page will be loaded from IndexedDB on subsequent startups, which does not support progress notifications. However loading from IndexedDB should be near instantaneous as it is from the user's local disk drive - but in an empty project page where the progress bar shows up for less than a second, that might confuse the diagnostic.

29. R42_Leon

R42_Leon

@jukka_j @alexsuvorov Is there a way to access these variables (in particular LOADER_FILENAME, DATA_FILENAME and such) during a pre/post build processor editor script in Unity? I'm integrating an exported Unity webgl build into a web application bundler, and it would be nice to export those variables to a .json file for reference rather than hardcode the values manually.

I also noticed the
    compatibilityCheck
    function seems to have been removed, and now the checks are ran internally to the loader, with the instantiating promise being rejected returning a simple message if the browser does not support WebGL or WASM. Is there a way to run custom compatibility checks using the
    SystemInfo
    method on the pre-initialized unity instance like in the old loader, or is that something that we should deal with separately?

30. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

All html, php, css, js and json files from the template directory will get preprocessed with those, so they will expand out the variables. Give it a try?

Hmm, not sure I follow? If you want to do a compatibility check, you can implement it manually in index.html JS code before even loading in any of the Unity code (for a "fail early" approach), or you can do such a check when the Promise resolves, if you want to access the SystemInfo object. Does that work?

31. R42_Leon

R42_Leon

Thanks, I meant - can I access them in an editor script so I can do something else with them other than expanding the template files - I am not using the generated html, I have my own web-based project and would like to export those somewhere so that when calling
    createUnityInstance
    in my own scripts I know what to pass to the config parameters.

Yeah I guess it does, I was wondering if there was a nicer way to handle custom messages if WebGL is not present in the browser - right now the only options seems to catch the promise and check for the returned message to be either
    "Your browser does not support WebAssembly"
    or
    "Your browser does not support WebGL."
    since those seems to be hardcoded as values returned when the promise is rejected in Build.loader.js

32. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

There is unfortunately no way to read all the variables from C# code. Some variables correspond directly to certain PlayerSettings fields, e.g.
    - COMPANY_NAME: PlayerSettings.companyName,
    - PRODUCT_NAME: PlayerSettings.productName,
    - PRODUCT_VERSION: PlayerSettings.bundleVersion,
    - WIDTH: PlayerSettings.defaultWebScreenWidth,
    - HEIGHT: PlayerSettings.defaultWebScreenHeight,
    - SPLASH_SCREEN_STYLE: PlayerSettings.SplashScreen.unityLogoStyle == PlayerSettings.SplashScreen.UnityLogoStyle.DarkOnLight ? "Light" : "Dark"
    - USE_THREADS: PlayerSettings.WebGL.threadsSupport,
    - USE_DATA_CACHING: PlayerSettings.WebGL.dataCaching
    - DECOMPRESSION_FALLBACK: deduced from Development vs Release player, and PlayerSettings.WebGL.decompressionFallback and PlayerSettings.WebGL.compressionFormat fields
    - UNITY_VERSION: Application.unityVersion,

Oh I see. Unfortunately no, the only way is to match the strings at the moment. In a future version there is a new (customizable) banner mechanism added around error messaging in the loader. Maybe that machinery will improve what you are looking for - give it a look once the next version is out.

33. Marks4

Marks4

34. GilCat

GilCat

Here is how i've temporarily fixed the issue with compressed filenames coming out with wrong name.
    Hope this helps others until a fix comes out.

35. reitzensteinm

reitzensteinm

I gave two links - the first is without compression, which works. The second has Brotli, and it doesn't. You video is loading the uncompressed content, I also get a progress bar here. All testing is done in incognito, closing and reopening the window in order to ensure no content is cached. I also keep an eye on the network tab to ensure it's actually downloading something.

The issue was not present in the template system in 2019.4. The changes here caused a clear regression.

I understand it's a browser bug, but I don't care. A WebGL game with a broken loading bar is *broken*. A bug in the largest browser with a clear workaround should not cause Unity builds to be broken for two full releases, with no end in sight. There is zero chance an equivalent issue would persist on another platform. If Unity stopped working on iPod Touches for six months, you wouldn't link me to a bug on Apple's database and point the finger there. If Unity isn't going to support WebGL properly, why is it even available?

hippocoder likes this.
  36. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

If you did see the progress bar load in Unity 2019.4, then it means that your web server was not hosting Brotli-compressed content, but it sent the files uncompressed, and your project had Project Settings -> Player -> Publishing Settings -> Decompression Fallback enabled.

If you want to get the same behavior in Unity 2020.1:
    - configure the web server to not serve the file with Content-Encoding: br (if you had not changed any web server configuration in between, it was probably automatically picked up by file suffix, .unityweb vs .br)
    - enable Project Settings -> Player -> Publishing Settings -> Decompression Fallback.

However that will take more CPU time to decompress the file in JavaScript.

Well... where to start here. It is clear that you are of the type "I don't want to read the details, just fix it", so maybe I am wasting time writing a reply, and we should just follow up on this next time once the issue has been resolved.

However, in case it may help nevertheless.. You make two logical fallacies here:

1. You claim that Unity builds are broken because the loading progress bar does not proceed. If the core feature of an Unity application to exist was to implement a progress bar animation and nothing else, I would agree that Unity was broken. However I doubt that is the case. Progress notification is important, but not seeing the progress does not prevent a Unity game from functioning. A WebGL game with a broken loading bar, well, is still a game with a broken loading bar. It is a bug, but the sky hardly fell down with it.

2. You assume that we have infinite visibility to all bugs and workarounds, all the time. We don't. Nobody has reported the issue to Unity before. I was made aware of the bug on October 6th, and added the issue to our work queue when it was discovered. It may sound like a lot if an issue exists for close to a year unfixed, but that can happen, especially if nobody reports it.

Looking at https://github.com/AirConsole/xmlhttprequest-length-computable it looks like the author has known about this issue to exist for more than three years! But he did not decide to report a bug to us.

Then you build a straw man argument, but let me just ignore that.

I understand that you are angry, and the progress bar is important to you. We are looking into it now that we know the issue, and there are two workarounds you can apply: either use the pseudoprogress algorithm (which seems like you already successfully did), or disable browser decompression as outlined above.

Thank you for contributing to raise a bug report.

wetcircuit and De-Panther like this.
  37. reitzensteinm

reitzensteinm

No, the Brotli content was hosted properly. I took a look at a 2019.4 build, and the difference between the old system and the new system is that as each file finishes loading, that file's progress is marked at 100% and UnityProgress is called with a simple ratio of how many files have loaded. In my build's case, that's three files loaded through the system, so the progress bar goes from 0%->33%->66%->90% (where decode starts if the streaming decode has not finished yet)->100%. On a connection of reasonable speed, that's enough to give a decent perception of loading.

The bug in the new template appears to be that a file completion does not mark that file's progress at 100%, and the progress bar stays at 0% until it hits 90%.

I would suggest fixing this quickly to fix the regression the new template system has caused. It's not difficult and doesn't rely on working around any browser bugs. Then the more thorny task of the Chrome workaround will be much less urgent.

As far as the rest.

1) It is not a logical fallacy that a broken load bar means a broken build. It absolutely destroys engagement. Players assume the game is broken and click away. It is a critical flaw in the product. The fact that you're willing to argue against this means you fundamentally misunderstand the value proposition of WebGL. Didn't you used to work at Mozilla, on gaming...?

2) This is a flaw immediately visible using your recommended deployment settings in the most popular browser. That nobody has reported the bug to you is not some kind of get out of jail free card. If your internal testing isn't catching this, what is it testing at all? I saw the bug on the day of release of 2020.1, and although I've submitted several bug reports for other matters in the past, I didn't bother with this because I thought it was just so obvious you either already knew about it or somebody would tell you in five minutes. That neither were true means that your internal testing is poor and few people are using the platform.

Lastly... that just wasn't a straw man. Hypothesizing your response to basic functionality being broken on other platforms is intended to convey the relative importance you place on each of them being correct. It's a valid argument to attempt, although I'm not claiming it's correct.

Obviously (to me at least) Unity cares a great deal about iOS and very little about WebGL. At least in its current form. My assumption is that you're deprecating all of this for Project Tiny when it eventually arrives... and that honestly isn't a bad idea.

I'm actually not particularly upset about the progress bar. I just consider it the straw that broke the camel's back. Basing my WebGL games on Unity was clearly a mistake, and I'm moving on. If I felt like you guys were trying hard to improve things for the future it would be one thing. But if I'm getting in to arguments with you about the importance of loading bars for web games... this isn't going to change.

In case I'm sounding too negative, like I'm just trying to beat up on you guys, Unity in general is great. I'd happily pick it again for use on other platforms, and most likely will.

38. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

Thank you for the ad hominem. I think we are done on this conversation.

39. lightmapper

lightmapper

40. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

Yes, the parameters are still available at the config block.

Code (JavaScript):
    2.       var config = {
    3.         dataUrl: buildUrl + "/WebGLBuild.data",
    4.         frameworkUrl: buildUrl + "/WebGLBuild.framework.js",
    5.         codeUrl: buildUrl + "/WebGLBuild.wasm",
    6.         streamingAssetsUrl: "StreamingAssets",
    7.         companyName: "DefaultCompany",
    8.         productName: "WebGLTest2021",
    9.         productVersion: "0.1",
    10.         webglContextAttributes: {"alpha": true, "preserveDrawingBuffer": true }
    11.       };
    Pinged our doc team to fix up the outdated documentation.

De-Panther and lightmapper like this.
  41. rlowke

rlowke

When I post my project to my server, and run from it, I get the "unityframework not found" error. Turning off "Gzip" compression (setting it to "disabled"), in the Publishing Settings WebGL tab, fixes this, but loses compression (obviously). At least it runs though.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    ztllove and newguy123 like this.
  42. rlowke

rlowke

Previously Unity would render the WebGL project using the height and width of the .html canvas, this was exceptionally useful. Now, the height and width is delivered to .html as {{{ WIDTH }}} and {{{ HEIGHT }}} and I've lost this important functionality of being able to set the width and height from the canvas.

Is there a way I can tell the unity instance to render the project using a height and width from my .html canvas?
    Previously, I was doing this, which worked very well,

<style>
    :root {
    --myscreenWidth: 960px;
    --myscreenHeight: 540px;
    }
    </style>

<script>
    var deliverWidth = window.innerWidth;
    var deliverHeight = window.innerHeight;

let root = document.documentElement;
    root.style.setProperty('--myscreenWidth', deliverWidth + "px");
    root.style.setProperty('--myscreenHeight', deliverHeight + "px");

UnityLoader.instantiate("unityContainer", "Build/ChessOrigins.json");
    </script>
    </head>
    <body style='background-color:black; margin: 0px;'>
    <div id="unityContainer" style="width: var(--myscreenWidth); height: var(--myscreenHeight)"></div>
    </body>

43. momosmnc

momosmnc

hey i am doing a unity course of 2 weeks on unity learn for the newcomer, in tut expected version of unity is 2019, but i started making my microgame on the 2020.1.6f1 version, now in tut, it asks me to check the WebGL publisher license if it is installed or not

in 2019 i can locate it in the unity registry of the package manager
    but it is not there in the 2020 package manager, so can you tell me where it is in unity 2020

44. StarArcher

StarArcher

I am SOOoooo the newbie, so apologies in advance if I'm just clueless. I just hope this saves somebody some effort:

The OP and the documentation refer to "Create a custom WebGL template by copying the contents of the
    <Unity Installation>/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/"

I found two versions of this folder on my Mac, the index.html in the first folder works correctly, the second does not (it's not even pre-processed, just copied to my project's index.html):
    1. /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.12f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/
    2. /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/
    Here are their contents:

1. /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.12f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/index.html
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <!DOCTYPE html>
    2. <html lang="en-us">
    3.   <head>
    4.     <meta charset="utf-8">
    5.     <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    6.     <title>Unity WebGL Player | {{{ PRODUCT_NAME }}}</title>
    7.   </head>
    8.   <body style="text-align: center">
    9.     <canvas id="unity-canvas" style="width: {{{ WIDTH }}}px; height: {{{ HEIGHT }}}px; background: {{{ BACKGROUND_FILENAME ? 'url(\'Build/' + BACKGROUND_FILENAME.replace(/'/g, '%27') + '\') center / cover' : BACKGROUND_COLOR }}}"></canvas>
    10.     <script src="Build/{{{ LOADER_FILENAME }}}"></script>
    11.     <script>
    12.       createUnityInstance(document.querySelector("#unity-canvas"), {
    13.         dataUrl: "Build/{{{ DATA_FILENAME }}}",
    14.         frameworkUrl: "Build/{{{ FRAMEWORK_FILENAME }}}",
    15.         codeUrl: "Build/{{{ CODE_FILENAME }}}",
    16. #if MEMORY_FILENAME
    17.         memoryUrl: "Build/{{{ MEMORY_FILENAME }}}",
    18. #endif
    19. #if SYMBOLS_FILENAME
    20.         symbolsUrl: "Build/{{{ SYMBOLS_FILENAME }}}",
    21. #endif
    22.         streamingAssetsUrl: "StreamingAssets",
    23.         companyName: "{{{ COMPANY_NAME }}}",
    24.         productName: "{{{ PRODUCT_NAME }}}",
    25.         productVersion: "{{{ PRODUCT_VERSION }}}",
    26.       });
    27.     </script>
    28.   </body>
    29. </html>
    2. /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/index.html
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. <!DOCTYPE html>
    2. <html lang="en-us">
    3.   <head>
    4.     <meta charset="utf-8">
    5.     <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
    6.     <title>Unity WebGL Player | %UNITY_WEB_NAME%</title>
    7.     <script src="%UNITY_WEBGL_LOADER_URL%"></script>
    8.     <script>
    9.       UnityLoader.instantiate("unityContainer", "%UNITY_WEBGL_BUILD_URL%");
    10.     </script>
    11.   </head>
    12.   <body>
    13.     <div id="unityContainer" style="width: %UNITY_WIDTH%px; height: %UNITY_HEIGHT%px; margin: auto"></div>
    14.   </body>
    15. </html>

45. soleron

soleron

To me just trying to see if webGL is worth looking into, all this just means you made it difficult for just anyone to make even a simple webGL presentation...

Is project tiny as simple as pubishing WebGL used to be?
    Is it ready for anything like that yet? Or is this going to be another ordeal like with the SRP for the next couple of years?

46. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

To chime in, we do have a task in our task list to improve the ergonomy around creating new WebGL templates. Currently there is a limitation that people need to somehow come up with the template "from scratch", or know the directory where to copy the template from to get started. Our intent is to build a "duplicate template" feature that one can use to create a copy of a default template into the Unity project folder.

The directory path /Applications/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.1.12f1/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/ looks appropriate, that directory needs to be copied into the project Assets/ directory to establish a new template.

The directory /Applications/Unity/PlaybackEngines/WebGLSupport/BuildTools/WebGLTemplates/Minimal/index.html above looks like old template format before 2020.1, that is not used anymore in >= 2020.1 versions.

Be sure to match the template from the correct Unity installation if you have multiple Unity editors installed.

As to @soleron 's question whether Tiny is going to be an ordeal - it is unfortunately a bit loaded question :| Of course we hope that it will not be, and some things in Tiny WebGL publishing are as easy/identical as they are in classic Unity. E.g. there is a similar web page template mechanism like classic Unity has, although the template .html file is different (much smaller in size). Other things are not there yet, e.g. preloading custom assets to a filesystem. In terms of maturity, classic Unity is definitely more polished, as Tiny is still in pre-release development.

ScottAdams, StarArcher and De-Panther like this.
  47. unity_hyiT2UPw3exbsg

unity_hyiT2UPw3exbsg

Hi there,

I apologise if this issue has already been solved BUT I'm trying to understand how to call Unity scripts functions from JavaScript since Unity have made changes to the WebGL loader post 2019.

Before the 2020.1 edition, I used to do it really simply in this way (see below)

<script>
    var unityInstance = UnityLoader.instantiate("unityContainer", "Build/2Players.json", {
    Module: {
    onRuntimeInitialized: function onRuntimeInitialized() {

(NOW THE JS CODE)

function predictUnityClass(classIDValue) {

if (classIDValue === 0) {
    window.unityInstance.SendMessage('Player', 'Stop');
    } else if (classIDValue === 1) {
    window.unityInstance.SendMessage('Player', 'MoveUp');
    }

But now that that the webgl loader has changed I'm not quite sure where this would go

48. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

After the loader update, there is now

Code (JavaScript):
    1.       script.onload = () => {
    2.         createUnityInstance(canvas, config, (progress) => {
    3.           progressBarFull.style.width = 100 * progress + "%";
    4.         }).then((unityInstance) => {
    5.           // (*)
    6.           loadingBar.style.display = "none";
    7.           fullscreenButton.onclick = () => {
    8.             unityInstance.SetFullscreen(1);
    9.           };
    10.         }).catch((message) => {
    11.           alert(message);
    12.         });
    13.       };
    You can access unityInstance on the line marked with a star. If you want to export access to global scope, you can do a line `window.unityInstance = unityInstance; // Export unityInstance for global access` there, after which the function `predictUnityClass()` should work like before.

The reason for this change in the loader is to not "pollute" the global JS namespace, but let scripts manage themselves what they need to export. If you had multiple Unity game instances on the same page, you could do `window.myGame1 = unityInstance;` in the first loader, and `window.myGame2 = unityInstance;` in the second loader.

De-Panther likes this.
  49. unity_hyiT2UPw3exbsg

unity_hyiT2UPw3exbsg

50. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

Placing the whole function inside the .then() handler will unfortunately not work like that, since the function will then be restricted to the local scope, and it cannot be called from outside JS functions anymore. That is why you do need to "export" something out of it, the simplest being to set `window.unityInstance = unityInstace;` to export the game instance out of the local .then() callback.

De-Panther likes this.