Search Unity

WebGL progress bar not updating?

Discussion in 'Web' started by AnthonyPalma, Feb 6, 2016.

1. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Hello!

I've built a custom WebGL loading template, but essentially I just reskinned the Default template. For some reason, my builds only ever show progress up to about the 15-20% mark, hold there, and then snap to fully loaded once the game is completely loaded (see screenshot below).

I've noticed a couple other Unity games I've found hosted elsewhere are doing this too, but the original AngryBots Beta demo shows loading progress perfectly.

I've copied the UnityProgress.js exactly from the default template (and I think the default template is also not showing progress for me), so I'm really not sure what's wrong. I even compared mine to the beta demo's UnityProgress.js file and they're identical. Below is the code for my UnityProgress.js.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm using Unity 5.3.2 for deployment (happened in 5.3.1 too), and I've seen the same result on Chrome/Firefox and Windows/Mac. My artist sees the same thing too, so it's not just on my end.

Thanks in advance!

Code (CSharp):
    1. function UnityProgress (dom) {
    2.     this.progress = 0.0;
    3.     this.message = "";
    4.     this.dom = dom;
    6.     var parent = dom.parentNode;
    8.     var background = document.createElement("div");
    9.     background.style.background = "#2A2626";
    10.     background.style.position = "absolute";
    11.     parent.appendChild(background);
    12.     this.background = background;
    14.     var logoImage = document.createElement("img");
    15.     logoImage.src = "TemplateData/boondogl_logo.png";
    16.     logoImage.style.position = "absolute";
    17.     parent.appendChild(logoImage);
    18.     this.logoImage = logoImage;
    20.     var progressFrame = document.createElement("img");
    21.     progressFrame.src = "TemplateData/loadingbar.png";
    22.     progressFrame.style.position = "absolute";
    23.     parent.appendChild(progressFrame);
    24.     this.progressFrame = progressFrame;
    26.     var progressBar = document.createElement("img");
    27.     progressBar.src = "TemplateData/fullbar.png";
    28.     progressBar.style.position = "absolute";
    29.     parent.appendChild(progressBar);
    30.     this.progressBar = progressBar;
    32.     var messageArea = document.createElement("p");
    33.     messageArea.style.position = "absolute";
    34.     parent.appendChild(messageArea);
    35.     this.messageArea = messageArea;
    38.     this.SetProgress = function (progress) {
    39.         if (this.progress < progress)
    40.             this.progress = progress;
    41.         this.messageArea.style.display = "none";
    42.         this.progressFrame.style.display = "inline";
    43.         this.progressBar.style.display = "inline";          
    44.         this.Update();
    45.     }
    47.     this.SetMessage = function (message) {
    48.         this.message = message;
    49.         this.background.style.display = "inline";
    50.         this.logoImage.style.display = "inline";
    51.         this.progressFrame.style.display = "none";
    52.         this.progressBar.style.display = "none";          
    53.         this.Update();
    54.     }
    56.     this.Clear = function() {
    57.         this.background.style.display = "none";
    58.         this.logoImage.style.display = "none";
    59.         this.progressFrame.style.display = "none";
    60.         this.progressBar.style.display = "none";
    61.     }
    63.     this.Update = function() {
    64.         this.background.style.top = this.dom.offsetTop + 'px';
    65.         this.background.style.left = this.dom.offsetLeft + 'px';
    66.         this.background.style.width = this.dom.offsetWidth + 'px';
    67.         this.background.style.height = this.dom.offsetHeight + 'px';
    69.         var logoImg = new Image();
    70.         logoImg.src = this.logoImage.src;
    71.         var progressFrameImg = new Image();
    72.         progressFrameImg.src = this.progressFrame.src;
    74.         this.logoImage.style.top = this.dom.offsetTop + (this.dom.offsetHeight * 0.5 - logoImg.height * 0.5) + 'px';
    75.         this.logoImage.style.left = this.dom.offsetLeft + (this.dom.offsetWidth * 0.5 - logoImg.width * 0.5) + 'px';
    76.         this.logoImage.style.width = logoImg.width+'px';
    77.         this.logoImage.style.height = logoImg.height+'px';
    79.         this.progressFrame.style.top = this.dom.offsetTop + (this.dom.offsetHeight * 0.5 + logoImg.height * 0.5 + 20) + 'px';
    80.         this.progressFrame.style.left = this.dom.offsetLeft + (this.dom.offsetWidth * 0.5 - progressFrameImg.width * 0.5) + 'px';
    81.         this.progressFrame.width = progressFrameImg.width;
    82.         this.progressFrame.height = progressFrameImg.height;
    84.         this.progressBar.style.top = this.progressFrame.style.top;
    85.         this.progressBar.style.left = this.progressFrame.style.left;
    86.         this.progressBar.width = progressFrameImg.width * Math.min(this.progress, 1);
    87.         this.progressBar.height = progressFrameImg.height;
    89.         this.messageArea.style.top = this.progressFrame.style.top;
    90.         this.messageArea.style.left = 0;
    91.         this.messageArea.style.width = '100%';
    92.         this.messageArea.style.textAlign = 'center';
    93.         this.messageArea.innerHTML = this.message;
    94.     }
    96.     this.Update ();
    97. }

Attached Files:

2. PieterAlbers

PieterAlbers

Hear, hear!

I am experiencing similar issues. Sometimes it holds and then it is 'instantly' done.

Other times t takes an extrememly long time for the loading bar to be updated in the first place.
    Looking at the default template it can take up to 10 secs. for the loading bar to show up in the first place.

Currently I do not feel confident about the entire loading process. It feels buggy to me and the end user.

It also strikes me as odd the the Angry Bots demo seems to load (and show progress) just fine.

Other threads (about progress bars and loading) have seen similar or related(?) issues. It would be great if we could get some feedback or anything on this?

3. chloridrik

chloridrik

Hi,

Maybe the problem is due to the server configuration. If the server don't provide the total file size to the client, the client can't display corectly the progress bar.

Try your project with Charles (or other HTTP proxy) https://www.charlesproxy.com/documentation/proxying/ssl-proxying/
    Clear your browser cache and load your app. When your app is loading, check if you can see the total file size before the end, and check if Charles can display corectly the loading progress.

4. AnthonyPalma

AnthonyPalma

Sorry, I didn't get email updates for some reason. Good tip on the proxy though, that would certainly make sense as to why some of the Unity Beta demos still have working loading bars but some of us don't. Will get back to you once we try this. Thanks!

5. Aurigan

Aurigan

Did you get it to work? From other sites it appears to me like this is something Unity broke somewhere around 5.2.

edit - I'm having the same issue ... I think this might be related to the change to using gzipped files by default.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. Roman-Ilyin

Roman-Ilyin

Same problem. It works fine in 5.1-.
    Progress bar just jumps from 0.0 to 1.0 (Unity 5.2, 5.3, 5.4).

7. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello Roman Ilyin.

Currently the progress bar does not get updated correctly if the loader falls back to direct downloading of the compressed file (in which case you will see the corresponding message in the console: Decompressed Release/mygame.datagz in 108ms. You can remove this delay if you configure your web server to host files using gzip compression.)
    If the Content-Encoding: gzip headers are set appropriately, then the progress bar should work as expected in all the 5.x versions.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Roman-Ilyin and unikum-llc like this.
  8. rossbyrne

rossbyrne

Hey, would you by chance have an example of a config file that works? I've got a config file for my server but I don't know how to set the gzip headers correctly.

9. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello RossB25.

This depends on the server you are using. Is it apache, IIS or something else?

10. rossbyrne

rossbyrne

I'm hosting it on azure using the app services.

11. jwmickey

jwmickey

I'm sorry to hijack an old thread, but I'm having the same problem with the progress bar not updating smoothly in 5.3 like it did in 5.1.

I'm using nginx instead of Apache, but the compressed files are being served as expected:
    - the paths to the dataUrl, memUrl, and codeUrl values are directly to the *gz files
    - the server is sending these files with the appropriate gzip encoding header
    - the UnityLoader script is not complaining about having to do client side decompression
    - the scene does work as expected once everything is loaded

I've put in console.log statements in various places within the progress script to try to see exactly when the bar is updated. From my observations it does not look like the progress bar or message is updated during file downloads at all. When the files start downloading it displays "Downloading 0.0/1", but this is never updated. Once the files are downloaded there are calls to SetProgress, but they all happen very quickly and my guess is that the main thread is so busy loading data into memory that the progress bar is not actually redrawn until everything is done. The result is that the progress bar is only visible for a brief moment just before the scene is ready.

What changed from 5.1 to cause this? How can we work around this problem? At the very least it would be useful for the progress bar to be updated as files are downloaded, especially for those with slower connections.

12. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello jwmickey.
    I am not sure why would you do this? This is not default setup, therefore you can not expect it to work as intended, use the default configuration instead.
    Does your 5.1 build display the progress bar correctly when hosted on the same server?

13. jwmickey

jwmickey

I'm pointing directly to the gz files because the files without gz appended do not exist, the url only works because of an apache rewrite rule. The browser asks for a file, the server sends it back. It is the data that is expected so unless I'm missing something, this would not change how the progress bar works would it?

14. jwmickey

jwmickey

I changed the paths back to .data, .mem, and .js (without the gz) as you instructed. The server is matching these and passing back the gz version along with the correct content-encoding header, and just as before the scene loads and works as intended.

However, the loading bar is again not working. I added more console.log statements to confirm my suspicions:

At the start of the script when the progress bar is created, the first message is "Downloading 0.0/1". SetProgress is never called during the download process, so the progress bar would not be doing anything during this time. Once downloads are complete, the message "All downloads complete" is very briefly displayed (along with progress being set to 0), and then "Preparing... 0/1" is displayed. SetMessage is called ~13 times but also SetProgress(0) is called. These all happen within 80ms so you don't even see this. After this, the .data file is loaded and a similar process happens, but this time SetProgress is called with values from 0 to ~0.93 and this all happens within about 50 ms, so the progress bar goes from 0 to 93% very fast - blink and you'll miss it. Finally, "Running..." is displayed via SetMessage and then after a second or so the scene is loaded.

In plain English, the progress bar does not update during download and when it does update, it happens very fast. This is in stark contrast to how it worked prior to 5.3.

15. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Do you have a working build for 5.1 version hosted on the same server that displays the bar correctly? Progress bar might not update correctly if the server does not provide the Content-Length header (in which case the progress can not be determined).

16. jwmickey

jwmickey

Yes, I do have a working 5.1 build and for comparison's sake I put both on a brand new Ubuntu VM running Apache 2.4.18. I have the 5.1 version and a 5.3 version built. The only difference between the two progress scripts is that the 5.1 is slightly tweaked visually (colors, etc.) but nothing to do with loading. I also added console.log statements at the top of SetProgress and SetMessage for both versions so I can see when these methods are being called. Both are serving the compressed files via the .htaccess configuration, and in both cases the content-length and content-encoding headers are set.

After comparing these two, it has become more clear that the progress bar is mostly useful for the download portion of the loading process. In both versions, the "preparing" stages (post download) are a bit jumpy and the progress bar goes from 0 to 100 very quickly. The majority of the progress bar action happens during the download stage, and in fact in the 5.1 build the subsequent sections do not update the bar at all because there is a condition in SetProgress that doesn't allow progress to go backward, so once the download stage is at 100%, it's done.

However, in the 5.3 build SetProgress and SetMessage are not called at all during the download portion. Especially on a slower connection this results in a long period of time where the progress bar sits at zero. Then when the "preparing" and "running" stages are going, the progress bar jumps to 100 very quickly, and then a brief pause before the scene loads.

Is there a working example of the progress bar on a demo project where progress is updated as the files are downloaded? The progress bar is very important. When users wait 10+ seconds and nothing appears to be happening they will reload the page and start it over again...

Thanks for your time and attention on this issue!

17. sirrus

sirrus

These are the same conclusions we reached when upgrading to 5.3. One thing to keep in mind is that the asm.js compilation seems to lock up the thread which also halts any visual progress in the browser. The time it takes for this is very much project and hardware dependent.

FWIW we ended up faking a progress bar for downloads+compilation for a smoother experience but it still has the 'hiccup' during compilation.

18. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Hello jwmickey.
    Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, could you open the following build made with 5.3.0f4 and check if it got the same issue described above:
    http://files.unity3d.com/alexsuvorov/demo/progressbar_5_3/

19. jwmickey

jwmickey

That Angry Bots demo progress bar works like we would expect. One thing I noticed is that in your demo, there are calls to setStatus() that include the download progress, such as "Downloading... (x/y)". If you pause the debugger while the files are downloading you can see that this is some value like "12345/67890". However, in my build, this starts with "0.0/1" and never gets called again with any actual data size.

I also noticed that your demo server has Content-Type: text/plain and Vary: Accept-Encoding headers, so I added those just in case, but no change.

Our 5.3 build was made with 5.3.5f1.

20. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

I believe there is no difference between 5.3.0f4 and 5.3.5f1 regarding progress bar, so I would expect that either you have modified the generated build or your server is configured incorrectly. Feel free to provide the link to your content to make the things clear.

21. jwmickey

jwmickey

22. alexsuvorov

alexsuvorov

Unity Technologies

Thank you very much for providing the links. My assumption was wrong and you were right. Your server is configured correctly and your build is original. However the progress bar in your case indeed does not work as expected.

The loading bar is currently not perfect and displays the loading progress only for the .data file. In most cases this works pretty well, because the .data file is normally significantly larger than other files in the build. For example, in your 5.1 build the .data file is 4.9MB vs 5.4MB for .js. At the same time, in your 5.3 build the .data file is just 2.2MB vs 5.3MB for .js which makes the initial loading progress non-proportional. Compare it with the AngryBots demo where the .data file is 24.8MB vs 4.3MB for .js.

The reason why the progress update is not called is because in your 5.3 build you have Data caching enabled (unlike the 5.1 build), which makes the .data file loaded from the local indexedDB and therefore the progress bar displays immediate load. Similar thing happens in 5.1, while the .data is loaded from the browser built-in cache on subsequent loads almost immediately, however you still might get a slight trace of the progress.

The difference in behavior of the progress bar is therefore not caused by the Unity version change, but rather by the different build structure. As has been mentioned before, we are already working on another solution for the progress bar, that should make it work correctly for most cases in the future Unity versions. Some issues however are not easy to resolve, for example, some browsers might freeze for a while when parsing/compiling a very large asm.js module, which makes it impossible to update the progress bar correctly during that time.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  23. jwmickey

jwmickey

Thank you for the detailed explanation, that all makes sense. I understand we're working with limitations of the browser, so hopefully things will improve going forward. In the meantime we'll see what we can do on our end to make sure users know to be patient while things are loading.

Thanks again for your time and attention!

24. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Hi,

I recently updated to Unity 5.5... never had this problem before on our servers
    (although one of our clients had it on theirs when we published using Unity 5.3 and was never able to resolve it).

However... publishing with Unity 5.5 now creates a similar issue (can't say if it's EXACTLY the same because the whole loading-animation process was changed in 5.5).

So what happens is basically this:
    The screen simply stays light-gray for a long time. It doesn't even show the initial loading image... then after 20 seconds or so our loading image appears with the progress bar filled circa 12%... the loading bar doesn't ever move... the image stays for another 10 seconds before the animated "created with Unity" logo appears and flies towards us... after that it just stays light-gray for another 4-5 seconds before we finally arrive inside our actual project.

The very same server has always handled and still handles all builds from 5.3 and 5.4 perfectly in terms of loading!

Any idea what has happened there?
    What was changed?

25. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Okay I managed to fix my specific issue by adding a .htaccess-file to the Release-folder... I hadn't realized that this file is no longer provided by the build itself and has to be added manually.

26. amor_tangelo

amor_tangelo

Is there a way to optimise the size of the generated files ? Because currently my ".js" file is as large as my ".data" file, and I have not enable Data cache, so the result : the progress bar is stuck for a few seconds while loading the ".js" file. Is there a workaround ?

Thanks

27. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

I'm using 5.5.0f3 and there isn't a loading bar at all anymore... I have a client requesting this feature, is there any workaround for this bug?

28. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

29. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

@Matt_at_mindtrigger It could be however I'm using 5.5.0f3. I don't have any "your-build.json" file to edit that I can see. Is this something exclusive to the 5.6b?

30. Matt_at_mindtrigger

Matt_at_mindtrigger

Oh, you're right.

I don't know about 5.6b but I think in 5.5.0f3 the file is called UnityProgress.js and located in the TemplateData folder.

BadSeedProductions likes this.
  31. BadSeedProductions

BadSeedProductions

Oh ok!
    I checked that file, could not find the line of code mentioned. Anyway what I did was simply changed the loading screen to a different color, and sure enough the loading bar was there, it was just not visible due to it being the same color as the background!

32. forzabo

forzabo

So, I too am struggling with the loading bar not appearing on my WebGL build (the unity icon does not appear either)

I am running this on a plain vanilla ubuntu server running apache2. I have double and triple checked that mod_rewrite and mod_mime are installed and running.

- I have included the .htaccess file in the Release folder. I get no messages regarding "you would get a speed up etc."
    - I have tried modifying UnityProgress.js, hard coding the background color to white, also swapping out "Light" for "Dark" etc. The canvas color does change, but still no sign of icon or loading bar.
    - I have disabled browser caching and confirmed that the assets (including UnityProgress.js) that I am seeing are indeed the latest uploaded to the server.
    - I have made my build without data caching checked.
    - I have also tried disabling gzip compression on the build.
    - I have ensured that the data payload is substantial in size, and larger than the asm payload.

I'm out of ideas here! It really is pretty mission critical to give the user some kind of feedback -- even a minimal loader scene takes long enough to download that it may appear to the average user that the page is frozen.

33. n-dream

n-dream

34. pnkapadia6

pnkapadia6

Hello! This is happening for me with a Unity 2020 game. For the game files compressed with brotli, the progress jumps directly from 0.1 to 0.9 after a couple of seconds. I checked the request and the Content-length and Content-encoding is being passed correctly. If the game isn't compressed, the progress works very well.
    The issue is present on Chrome and Safari, but works correctly on Firefox.

Request screenshot: (https://ibb.co/TBY9vZD)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Nadoc_NewLedge likes this.
  35. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

This issue is on our radar. The root problem is a Chrome bug https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=463622, and they are not willing to fix the problem, since there is a different API available that does not have the bug.

We have a TODO to migrate to using that API instead, that should fix the issue.

36. Aoedipus

Aoedipus

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    AlonMixed and Hypertectonic like this.
  37. naber78

naber78

Hi
    I read through the readme and the example, however it is still not clear to me how to integrate this in the index file I get when I build my webgl build in Unity. Could you pleas give an example of usage for Unity Webgl build. Thanks.

38. naber78

naber78

Ok, got it, truce it was so simple I didn't try. As readme says, just add <script type="text/javascript" src="xmlhttprequest-length-computable.min.js"></script>

39. styGGx

styGGx

I've had this issue with a Brotli compressed build.

To solve it I used the above mentioned xmlhttprequest-length-computable solution:
    1. Under my TemplateData I just created a file named xmlhttprequest-length-computable.min.js
    2. Copy the minified js code from the repo and paste it in my xmlhttprequest-length-computable.min.js file. You can get the raw code here https://raw.githubusercontent.com/A...aster/xmlhttprequest-length-computable.min.js
    3. In the index.html add the script tag to reference the local js lib:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="TemplateData/xmlhttprequest-length-computable.min.js"></script>
    Neat workaround ;)

40. jukka_j

jukka_j

Unity Technologies

That is a great workaround, glad it works out.

Recently we have been working on removing the use of the XmlHttpRequest API altogether in favor of the Fetch API. That will hopefully land in Unity 2021.2 stable release, and should enable progress bar notification on downloads.

41. Yishai_Q

Yishai_Q

This workaround is working fine on the progress bar you see while the WebGL app is loading, but I need a solution for loading Asset Bundles: www = UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle
    When I check www.downloadProgress on the update function, to increase my progress bar, it also jumps from 0 to 1, with no intermediate numbers, is there a way to solve this with a workaround?