Search Unity

Change variable on all clients from server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by kigm, Jun 27, 2016.

1. kigm

kigm

Hi! I need have to a variable on server that clients consults and in function of its value do something.

I had been trying with a [SyncVar] but this is not what I want. Because I want that if one client connects to server, change this variable on the server and the rest of clients that connect later check this variable and work in function on that.
    And now if I use syncvar each client has his own variable, synced with the server yes, but it is his own variable, isn't shared between clients.

What can I do?

2. kigm

kigm

3. kigm

kigm

Really I think even more yesterday that doc is not so good... Because I read that this thing (Syncvar) updates a value from a server to all clients, and this is what I want. But doing tests I see that each client has his own variable, synced with the server yes, but if we have client A and B and a variable health of type Syncvar client A can have a value of 60 in server and client, but client B has a different value. And this is reasonable.

Really.. doesn't exist something like what I am searching? just a simple variable where you can consult from a client and share with all clients this variable with the same value... In Java and RMI you can have on the server side variables and methods, and you can use them. But I find Unity so limited than always I am struggling to make progress in my game. Is true that I am new on this, but I had been coding before to know Unity.

4. voltage

voltage

5. kigm

kigm

Thank you for your reply. But this is not work for me because I don't have "players" when someone connects to server, my player's character is empty. I just have a host (first client that connects to server) who can move a 3D model (loaded dynamically after first client connection in a new prefab with authority for this client) and other clients that connect later can only see how this first "player" move the model. But the rest of client don't have a character just like that.

The post you sent me change the variable myColor from server to the script saved on client (which is attached to player) and is a random value, but I need check what is the real value (a client could have changed this variable) and copy the value to local variable on client.

I don't know if you understand, if so I'll explain better

6. Severos

Severos

Your problem is more of c# problem than Unity.
    The reason each client is getting it's own variable is because you're defining it somehow like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private int val;
    that means, this is instance variable, each instance will have it's own variable.
    If you want all instances of this class to share same variable then you use the static modifier like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private static int val;
    All objects of this class type now will have same value, when one of them changes it, then all instances will see the new value.

BlackHawkG likes this.
  7. kigm

kigm

But I am using Syncvar and you can not use static type.. And in the case if you could the variable will be static in the context of the instance of unity. If one player is connected in other PC/mobile the scope of static is reduced to the instance of the "game" in this player, not other players connected trough network

8. Severos

Severos

Then just use a simple client RPC to update the variable on all clients. when value changes an RPC call will change it on all connected clients, new clients will send a request (command/netmessage or whatever you want) to get the variable value on loading.

9. kigm

kigm

This is what I said above. You can call a Rpc method and change the value on all clients, but ONLY THE VALUE THAT YOU OWN, only in your instance of your player on the other players.
    For example, if the server have 3 connected clients and one of them change the value of the variable, this value is changed on the instance of THIS client on other clients, but other clients still having the same value on HIS instance of the player object.

Context of A:
    A.variable = 1;
    B.variable = 2;

Context of B:
    A.variable = 1;
    B.variable = 2;

"A" calls Rpc method changing variable from 1 to 10. Then now we have this:

Context of A:
    A.variable = 10;
    B.variable = 2;

Context of B:
    A.variable = 10;
    B.variable = 2;

Do you see that? this is what I said before. And I need all clients have the same value on the same variable

10. kigm

kigm

I think that getting the gameobject of the first player and consulting the variable I want it will be ok... Im on it

11. Severos

Severos

I was talking about using RPC to change the static variable.

12. kigm

kigm

Sure, and I just could use in a no multiplayer game. Thank you anyway

13. kigm

kigm

I am done this on the following way:
    - Considering in our instance of unity are the players connected to server, I saved them in a list.
    - Accessed the first player (is the first that connected to server) and get the data I needed.

pjkokane21 likes this.
  14. fedd93

fedd93

Hey,Please share the code :)

Abdulrahman_alhmdani likes this.
  15. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Kigm hasn't logged into the forums in over 2 years, so don't get your hopes up.

Abdulrahman_alhmdani likes this.
  16. ebk611

ebk611

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.Networking;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. public class Player : NetworkBehaviour {
    7.     //If you need to work with indices, you can use a List like that. (ie ActivePlayers[0].DoBackflip())
    8.     // Also you can change variables of other player objects with cmd function with (requiresAuthroity=false)
    10.     public static List<Player> ActivePlayers = new List<Player>();
    11.     protected virtual void Awake()
    12.     {
    13.         //Add me when I awake - this is called on both the clients and the host, so everyone will know me
    14.         ActivePlayers.Add(this);
    15.     }
    16.     protected virtual void OnDestroy()
    17.     {
    18.         //Cleanup - this is important since static members will persist until application is quit
    19.         ActivePlayers.Remove(this);
    20.     }
    21. }