Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Canvas issues with materials

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by epistax, May 27, 2024.

1. epistax

epistax

Hello! I'm quite new but I've done a lot of looking around for documentation / other people reaching out for a similar issue but I have come up empty.

I'm using URP, editor is 2022.3. If I create a canvas and apply it to a particular camera (any camera, really), and then set a RawImage with a material, I get an visual effect where the screen becomes two colors. There is a diagonal line from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. Above the line the camera is bright, and below the line the camera is darker. For the material, I started by creating a full screen shader. I create a color node, give it a color and connect it to the fragment. I set the alpha of the fragment down to 0.5. I then create a material from this shader.

Oddly enough I had to follow those instructions above twice to reproduce the issue. There is some non-determinism in the shader creation that I can't wrap my head around. For example if I diff the generated code from a couple of shaders (which to me should be identical) I see one has "Blend Off" set, and another has "Blend SrcAlpha One, One One" set in the "Render State" section. I cannot relate this to anything I can find in the inspector. Another oddity is that I can't add anything to the "Fragment" without it being disabled, even if I connect something to it. If I remove the default "Base Color(3)" I cannot add it back. I can find it in the list but the UI won't let me actually add it. Also no matter the alpha I set right now, the canvas is completely opaque. Working on that.

What I am actually trying to do is intentionally induce noise in a camera. I was able to do this successfully by using noise generation (and even got it to animate) but I then I noticed the diagonal line and it really started to bug me. It's present on all cameras, and disabling any/all of the various lighting and other things doesn't seem to make a difference.

Since I'm so new, I'm guessing that I am going about things the wrong way. I could find nothing on learn.unity about canvases. Even the UI Components lesson which explicitly mentions in the summary does not cover it. I have been able to create a canvas group and canvas to place text over the cameras on demand from C# so I don't think I'm completely lost :)

Thanks for any pointers.

2. influjensbahr

influjensbahr

Hi! Could you maybe post screenshots or a video of your problem? It's quite hard to imagine what's going on with just a text description :)

3. epistax

epistax

This is a RawImage with a RenderCamera set to a particular camera. One thing that is odd is that the closer I set the plane distance, the more other things in the scene will cover the canvas. Seems opposite to me. I have this in the UI layer.
    upload_2024-5-28_7-0-35.png
    I am using a flat material as a test case until I can figure out the issue. The material was created off of a simple full screen shader. (Shader Graph -> URP -> Fullsreen shader graph). What I am expecting to see is a consistent hue applied across the screen. not with a different apparent alpha in the top left versus the bottom right.

So one more time I have
    Full screen shader graph to create material
    Material applied to a canvas
    Canvas Renderer is set with a particular Render camera
    When the canvas is enabled and I use that camera, I see this diagonal line. i.e. disabling the canvas shows:
    upload_2024-5-28_7-12-41.png

I removed any post processing to make sure I was just seeing the effect of this one canvas. I can remove directional lighting and still see the same effect.

Thanks for any tips!