Search Unity

Can't create new project.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LazarShrek, Jun 18, 2021.

1. LazarShrek

LazarShrek

I have the unity hub installed, and I have unity 2020.3.1f1. All of my previously made projects work fine, but when I try to make a new one, I get the message: "Creating project folder failed!". Does anyone know what is wrong and how I can fix this?

2. Ekulwashere

Ekulwashere

If you haven't figured it out after a year...
    I posted somewhere else, but I'll post everywhere. people have said multiple things. I guess use this order:
    For some -
    1. "run as admin worked". not me.
    2. Update. nope.
    2.1. Reinstall / clear its existence from your pc / run update. nope.

3. "use a folder you have permission to use". THIS. After some trials.. the only folder I could get to work is on my 2nd drive ( D:) and at level 0, create a folder there. ( Called Unity Saves - but call it whatever you please).

(Some folk said create the folder in Documents, try that if you want more crap in there, I try to keep my stuff in a weird order I like)

Hope this helps.

3. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

And while we're at it, I STRONGLY recommend using only A-Z, a-z and 0-9 in ALL of your directory and asset names.

- DO NOT use spaces

- DO NOT use weird UTF-8 / Unicode characters

- DO NOT use punctuation

- Keep it short: Windows still has a 260-character path limitation in 2022, apparently.

If you violate any of the above, you will likely just be back in here some day in the future wondering why some weird edge case of android building fails to work properly.

You have been warned.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Also, here's some additional notes that a lot of folks trip over when making new projects:

Extra unwanted packages in new projects (collab, testing, rider and other junk):

https://forum.unity.com/threads/temp-unityengine-testrunner-dll-error.1133938/#post-7287748

About the fastest way I have found to make a project and avoid all this noise is to create the project, then as soon as you see the files appear, FORCE-STOP (hard-kill) Unity (with the Activity Manager or Task Manager), then go hand-edit the Packages/manifest.json file as outlined in the above post, then reopen Unity.

Sometimes the package system gets borked from all this unnecessary churn and requires the package cache to be cleared:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53145919/unity3d-package-cache-errors/69779122