Search Unity

1. If you have experience with import & exporting custom (.unitypackage) packages, please help complete a survey (open until May 15, 2024).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

can somone tell me how much it will cost to make a fighting game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greatrock, Mar 6, 2014.

1. greatrock

greatrock

will like to know the breakdown of developing a fighting game, from artist to the programmer price, even if u have to pm me pls

2. Zaladur

Zaladur

How long is a piece of string?

3. lmbarns

lmbarns

Way, way too vague. How many levels, how many characters, how complex, what platform(s), custom models or stock, etc.

Even then it's impossible to predict. $100-$100,000 for art, $100 - $100000 for programming, etc. For custom characters you can pay anywhere from $800 to $2500 each depending on the level of detail, rigging and how many custom animations.

4. CGPepper

CGPepper

Chips, 2349$ (You need a lot of chips)
    Beer, 1756$
    Water 569$
    Electricity, 768$
    Programmer - 231 scripts (enough for alpha), 7456$
    Art - 81 pieces of art, conceptual but enough for a first pass of the game, 4974$
    Sound - 5 tracks, 27 effects,169$ (you can use prebuild assets there)

Those calculations are based on a 5 character 2D fighting game, in a development cycle of 3-4 month with pricing margin error of 10-15%

5. greatrock

greatrock

so it depends on the person or persons i am dealing with,

6. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

It depends on what you want to produce, if you want to make a AAA quality game then you need a AAA quality budget (many millions). Even for a serious indie game (i.e. not a hobby game) where you are hiring both coders and artists then I would expect a budget in the range of 50k-250k.

If you want to start grass roots go get the asset store fighting package (I think its called UMA), and start talking to some coders, modellers and animators and see where it takes you.

7. greatrock

greatrock

ok thanks, but i want my characters look original. i have start looking at modelers, artist so far, was looking at Universal Fighting Engine, if it can do what i want.

8. Meltdown

Meltdown

The best way to determine potential cost is get a prototype going. Get one model with say 20 fighting animations done for you.
    Get him moving about and kicking, punching etc. Get a scoring/hitting system established. Based on the time it takes you to do that, and the cost it takes to get your first character done, then you can work out the rough costs.

Remember then to factor in GUI art, background scenery etc.

I'd suggest getting at least 3 quotes for each section.

9. greatrock

greatrock

that's a nice idea

10. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

11. greatrock

greatrock

thanks for the help, i have all my ideas write down in a book, long time ago, just have to put them on a gdd, to read

12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Oh you'll definitely need a lot of coffee... trust me.

It's never enough... O___O

....look at this baby ↓ I bet it's thick as syrup

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  13. greatrock

greatrock

lol, will be good have everything write down, and have a guide

14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just buy a ready made extension (engine) and save yourself some trouble.

Universal Fighting Engine (PRO) - $125
    or
    Universal Fighting Engine (SOURCE) - $225

Now, forget about the cost of living, expenses etc - you are an indie you are expected to absorb these.

Cost of artists - ranging from few hundreds to thousands of dollars - don't forget you can buy ready made characters from Asset Store too which are a lot cheaper than custom built characters from professional artists. Or you could just model your own if you are an artist.

15. greatrock

greatrock

thank, i was planing to see how the engine works, see if it can fit my needs