Search Unity

Can Netcode determine bandwith in and out

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by goodnewsjimdotcom, Sep 23, 2022.

1. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

Hello,

My networking solution requires load balancing and this requires knowing bandwith in and out.

I can easily code up some homebrew nonsense to packet spam places, but it's bad form, and I wouldn't be perfectly effective at spamming packets to test the throughput bandwith.

Does Unity have this?

It'd basically be a number: kB/Second in, kB/Second out.

2. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Perhaps you can find something suitable in the multiplayer tool package? There's a live monitoring tool that does track bandwidth, although I'm not sure how one would go about extracting that data programmatically.

3. goodnewsjimdotcom

goodnewsjimdotcom

Thanks, I can write my own, but it is sloppy and is irresponsible to internet responsible bandwith. I was hoping for a more streamlined wheel. Also your link is broke. Thanks for trying though man, shows heart. I love that the Internet spirit that's been around since as long as I've been online 1994. My boss was in Silicon Valley with lots of the now rich guy ceos when they were starting up, and that helpful attitude was there on white board even in the 80s.

4. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

That links to a private repo. Check out the docs for Multiplayer tools, especially the Network Profiler.

simon-lemay-unity likes this.